Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Chris Thile - Miss Manhattan

Default Re: Chris Thile - Miss Manhattan

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    What a collaborator in a variety show setting.
    Jamie makes a great observation: the world is full of immense musical talent. But very few performers who are as good as CT at collaborating with others, respecting their vision, seeking out talent, trying new projects. He has an enormous well of confidence in himself and his judgement. I won't say it never gets him into trouble, but it's taken him a long way, and I find it constantly inspiring.

PS Those qualities are what set him apart. Not purely technical aspects of his playing, i.e. fast and clean.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

There is a lot to criticize about Chris' fashion and wardrobe. A true bluegrass fahion stylist would follow the examples set by Mark O'Connor in the 1970s and the King of Bluegrass himself, Jimmy Martin.

And a great mandolinist must always show it by acting completely seriously and dedicating themselves to their art. Bobby Osborn and Jethro Burns have proven that. No vaudeville from Jethro at all, ever. So has Sam Bush, especially when he and Jerry Douglas start rolling up Bryan Sutton's pant legs in the middle of his solo in front of 75000 people at Merlefest.

3. The following members say thank you to CarlM for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FLATROCK HILL View Post
    I figured Chris was purposely emulating the recent and nauseating practice of leaving the 'T-sound' out of certain words in order to be considered 'cool' or 'hep' (Ok, yes...I'm old.).

But, if I understand JeffD's reply correctly, Chris' intent was to poke fun at the 'out-of-towners' who pronounce Manhattan, Manha-in.?.
    That was my take. I hate that "manha-in" too, and I have not heard it from anyone who lives or is from the city.

I have heard the reverse, going out of the way to avoid a "glottal stop". For example the word "didn't" seems to give some folks trouble. I have friends in the city who say "diddent". It also drives me nuts.

Also, can I assume that he deliberately splays his fingers in an effort to demonstrate that sometimes he actually wants his thumb to overpower the non-supported fingers on the underside of his pick?
    That goes to technique. I dunno. I think that while there may be rules and best practices and recommended practices, you can do what you have to in order to accommodate any given situation, and for some reason (and I don't know what it is, and whether its related to the music, or the performance) he felt it best to splay. I really don't care, obviously he knows what he is doing, and the performance is flawless.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

5. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    Before this thread gets closed down,& IMHO,it's quickly going that way - as the person who sounded the first note of dissent,may i say that whether we like CT's performance of ''Miss Mantattan'' - or not,it's our personal opinion against that of others. There's nobody on the planet who admires CT's huge talent more than i do,but talent is one thing, what use it's put to is another,& that depends solely on the performer.
    As i said in a previous post,CT is free to play anything he likes / how he likes - exactly as we are,& i'd be the first to defend him (or any other player) on that. As for CT's ''dress sense', oh boy ! - i've seen far,far worse in the past & in folk with far less talent. That doesn't bother me,in fact to see him trussed up like a Xmas turkey in a suit & tie,would be out of keeping with his 'free-style' mandolin playing.
    All power to CT & his followers,i simply wish that his music style was such that i was one of them - but 'currently',it ain't. My admiration however,still lingers !!!,
    Ivan
    Well said, I too love Thile when he plays the proper music. And no I don't apologize for using the word "proper".

He's playing for money, so he's selling something. When money is injected, you open yourself up for criticism, and rightfully so. Good and bad, everyone should be allowed to voice an opinion because we are his consumers.

If I were building mandos for free, you have no right to criticize my free offerings, but as soon as I start making money off the mandos, then I am completely and utterly open to every piece of criticism, its a choice I have made. CT is a big boy, able to defend his musical choices, If it makes him money, then he made the right choice to further his livelihood.

My Goodness, he is scrutinized, isn't he. Unlike any other mandolin picker. Just like The Beatles, he is.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    He's a true showman and makes interesting new material on a tight schedule. Impressive.
    I can't imagine doing that. Its "stand and deliver" every weekend. Be world class on demand. Every weekend. He's better, every weekend, than I could ever be once.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    My Goodness, he is scrutinized, isn't he. Unlike any other mandolin picker. Just like The Beatles, he is.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beatles02.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	145652

Musically, I found it really interesting, enjoyable, with complex rhythm and harmonies.

When Chris and Aiofe collaborate, there tends to be magic. I've found their work open, wide, and willing to test limits.

Best,
    D