Thread: Complete Mandolin Method by Alfred Publishing: Book 3

Default Complete Mandolin Method by Alfred Publishing: Book 3

So I've been working through the Complete Mandolin Method books that I'm fortunate to be able to borrow from my local library. 7 months in and I've finished Beginner and Intermediate books, and just got my copy of Book 3: Mastering.

This one is written by a different author than the previous two, and for good reason: while the first two books focused on theory, technique, and an overview of musical genres, book 3 dives straight into advanced minor and major chord formations, creating inversions of these chords, and "crafting chords into a chord/melody solo"(?)
    Other sections include rhythm, melody, and "putting it all together" which introduces the idea of improvisation. The author employs this method to creating via improv:

1. Create a skeleton of the melody using quarter notes
    2. Expand this melody using 1/8 notes
    3. Apply rhythmic variations to the melody
    4. Create a countermelody
    5. Create a completely abstract version of the melody
    The book uses a sample tune and works through each of these steps, explaining that while with practice this method should become almost second nature, for the beginner it is very much a building process.

I'm absolutely thrilled to get going with this book. The teaching is so conceptual! It is a welcome change from the "nuts and bolts" drills and exercises from the 2previous books.

Improv is something that I've never been able to grasp, and to be able to work through the learning process in a clear and structured manner is something I feel quite confident about.

It's Spring in New England, the birds are singing, the flowers are blooming, and I'm diving headfirst into finding my instrument's voice. Life is indeed very good.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Harold The Barrel For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Complete Mandolin Method by Alfred Publishing: Book 3

Wayne Fugate, the author, is a wonderful musician and one of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet.
    Steve

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve L For This Useful Post:

Newbie Seeking Clues tangleweeds's Avatar

I have the single volume compilation of this mandolin method, and as a beginner the first volume has become my favorite learning resource. I confess to reading way ahead of what I can play, but I hadn't made it to the third volume yet, and now I think I'll have to. Thanks for the tip!
    recurrent beginner spring 2020 (2016, 2014, 2010)

Eastman MD-515 ... Kentucky KM-172 ... Trinity College Octave TC-325B ... Rogue RM-100A
    various "artisan tweaked" tin whistles ... digital piano ... other small instruments ... way too much sheet music

6. The following members say thank you to tangleweeds for this post:

WJF 

Shredded Cheese Authority Emmett Marshall's Avatar

I worked through the series. I have the "all in one" book. I liked them so much that the other method books I had purchased (besides the great Brad Laird pubs - thanks Brad!) went to the way side. Between these two, I feel like I got off to great start with the mandolin. I would recommend to anyone who is starting out.
    Last edited by Emmett Marshall; Apr-15-2016 at 5:41pm. Reason: updated with links
    Weber F5 Bitteroot Octave - "...romantic and very complicated."
    My instruments professionally maintained by...RSW
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7UmUX68KtE

8. The following members say thank you to Emmett Marshall for this post:

WJF 

Hi folks ... Just a quick note to say a huge THANK YOU for all your kind words about my contribution to the wealth of great mandolin resources that are out there - I really appreciate it! As you work your way through the book, if you have questions about anything or if you think I can help you through a rough spot in your playing or practicing (even if it isn't directly related to the book), please feel free to give me a shout. I'm happy to help! Best way to reach me these days is through my website (waynefugate.com) or directly by e-mail at waynejf54@netscape.net ... Thanks again!!
    Bluegrass ... "It's Folk Music With An Overbite" (Robert Shelton)
    www.waynefugate.com

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WJF For This Useful Post:

Shredded Cheese Authority Emmett Marshall's Avatar

No...thank YOU! (we could do this all day)

Seriously, I won't pass on a chance to thank you publicly Wayne. When I started out, I had sampled quite a few method type books. Your's was the clearest, most sensible, and user friendly. I just couldn't get away from it. I retained 2 copies of your books. One I gave to my daughter, and the other stays right here for when I need to go back and review fundamentals. Your material walked me through a steep learning curve when there was nobody else around to help, and your books made a long journey pleasant, enjoyable, and rewarding to this day. I had a "feeling" you were around here on the "Cafe" somewhere (Isn't everyone though?). Thanks for being you!
    Weber F5 Bitteroot Octave - "...romantic and very complicated."
    My instruments professionally maintained by...RSW
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7UmUX68KtE

12. The following members say thank you to Emmett Marshall for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Emmett Marshall View Post
    No...thank YOU! (we could do this all day)
    LOL! I guess we could do this all day Emmett! I am so incredibly glad that you got some useful stuff from the book! To be clear, almost none of it is the product of original thought - I was extremely fortunate early on in my development as a mandolin player to have received some great instruction from guys like Barry Mitterhoff and Mike Marshall and later on, Rob Thomas (great jazz violin player) and Matt Glaser, who has always been a big influence too. So I tried to distill what they taught me and present in logical sort of way. Like I said though ... I am beyond thrilled that you found it helpful!!

I do float around here now and then although not nearly as much as I once did or would like to. Imagine how happy I was to see this thread though ... really made my day!! So ...

Thanks again!!
    Bluegrass ... "It's Folk Music With An Overbite" (Robert Shelton)
    www.waynefugate.com

14. The following members say thank you to WJF for this post:

excellent teacher

16. The following members say thank you to Pete Smith for this post:

WJF