Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gold Tone mandocello -- thoughts?

Default Re: Gold Tone mandocello -- thoughts?

I have always liked the way Tim O'Brien uses his Octave, or mandocello, (not sure which it is, or what tunings he uses). I'm no Tim O'Brien, but I do like the sound of the guitar body, and would like to have a similar sound for some songs that my wife and I play and sing together in our sets. Something in a price range, good build and sound, - for those of us semi or non pros.
    I agree with a better string spacing, no visible p/u, and I personally don't need or care for a cutaway.
    I will be interested to see how this all "shakes" out.
    Jeffrey S Wagner

Shredded Cheese Authority Emmett Marshall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Budz View Post
    If they have to go with guitar body and neck pickup why not go way out and do 5 course also?
    That would be really interesting actually. I wonder what it would be called then? Would it "still" be an octave mandolin in someone's opinion, or maybe a "Git Cittern"?
    Weber F5 Bitteroot Octave - "...romantic and very complicated."
    My instruments professionally maintained by...RSW
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7UmUX68KtE

Quote Originally Posted by Emmett Marshall View Post
    I wonder what it would be called then?
    I would call it a liuto cantabile, naturally.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

4. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Shredded Cheese Authority Emmett Marshall's Avatar

I could go along with that - if it had less guitar attributes and sounded like one. Why not a Cittern though? Am I missing something there?

UPDATE: Nevermind, I figured it out. Liuto Cantabile is more appropriate! But then again, doesn't "Liuto Moderno" work well also?
    Last edited by Emmett Marshall; Apr-17-2016 at 6:43pm.
    Weber F5 Bitteroot Octave - "...romantic and very complicated."
    My instruments professionally maintained by...RSW
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7UmUX68KtE

I officially don't know the difference between a liuto cantabile and a liuto moderno, but I'm sure someone does.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Here's what a 'cello can look like in the "Big A style" shape. We recorded this a few months ago, two local musicians with an A-style mandocello made by local luthier James Curtis (NFI). I was experimenting with mic placement here, trying find a position that would capture good sound without getting in the way of the video. I don't think I did justice to the bottom end of that thing, but here it is anyway:

This is the kind of music where the instrument can find a home and a purpose. I don't think it works to just force it into other established genres.

PS. These guys were basically winging it, on the longer scale instruments. It's a piece of music they normally play on octave mandolin and mandolin.

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to foldedpath For This Useful Post:

"I would prefer an A style.. and do not see how it could be more expensive".

I will presume, if it's been chosen for a prototype, then Goldtone must either be already tooled up to produce this body or has a supplier for it. For the company to tool up from scratch, an "A-style" body would be much more expensive.
    too many strings

Please, no visible electronics.

. I've always suspected that one of the reasons acoustic music sounds so different recorded is the way the sound waves are propagated from the face of a speaker cone is inherently different than the actual acoustic waves rich with harmonic overtones. Sort of like an abbreviated sound wave with the same tonal frequencies but lacking (information/detail?) that is needed to truly reproduce the depth of real acoustic sound generation. Great video anyway foldedpath. I could almost see the huge pressure pulses bouncing around in the room even if I couldn't hear them. Ah, what a treat to have been there to experience that acoustic Lion's ROAR!!!
    "A sudden clash of thunder, the mind doors burst open, and lo, there sits old man Buddha-nature in all his homeliness."
    CHAO-PIEN

What a cool instrument - great texture. Of course, I'm still just trying to figure out how to play the damn mandolin...
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

that 'cello on Foldedpath's video has the exact aesthetic I'd want.

Regarding the GT, nix the visible electronics and don't mess with the headstock - well, other than the need to adjust the nut width and tuner placement according to other posts. I just don't know about that.

Regarding the video, I couldn't listen to it. I didn't like the looper effect and wanted to hear the acoustic instrument. I mic would have been fine, not too fluent in sound reinforcement.

I do want a longer-scale mando-instrument. I was mostly thinking in terms of an octave mandolin, but maybe I'd try a 'cello? Haven't ruled it out. Two years ago, I bought a 12-string guitar and didn't quite realize how much fun I'd have with it. I suspect the same would hold true for an OM or 'cello?

Good luck and thanks for thinking of us!

f-d
    ‘papα gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    I bet 5 courses could work at 1 11/16".

I suppose it's true that Eastman mandolin necks run a bit narrow ...

And it's true that the Eastman mandocellos have playability problems ...

but other than that they both concern Eastman instruments, those two facts are not related. Eastman cellos have playability issues because the necks are too wide, not too narrow, and because the string spacing is off.
    Yes that works great! Here is a The Loar arch top guitar that I converted into a 5- course mandocello -- CGDAE. It was a gem to play. One mistake I made is to the distance between the two C strings -- they should have been a bit closer together.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	add tuners.JPG 
Views:	264 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	145563   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	add head stock.JPG 
Views:	270 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	145564   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	strung up01.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	145565  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new nut03.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	145566  
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

I would have to echo the rest of these members about the neck. I have one of the Eastmans and while it is a lovely instrument and I do get compliments on its sound (but not my playing!), I had to have the string pairs brought closer together in order to make it easier to play. Get the neck and string spacing right and this thing just may sell itself.

Quote Originally Posted by goldtone View Post
    So, Wayne (the owner) has been reading everyone's comments and he suggests that we could add scrolls to the headstock (similar to our regular mandolins), to have it look more similar to a mandolin. How do you all feel about this change? Would it help?
    I would tell Wayne that the headstock and the body need to reflect eachother to unify the design. Changing one to a Florentine design aesthetic with the other being more Cremonese... they wouldn't gel visually.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dschonbrun View Post
    I would tell Wayne that the headstock and the body need to reflect eachother to unify the design. Changing one to a Florentine design aesthetic with the other being more Cremonese... they wouldn't gel visually.
    Personally I think a scroll head stock looks best on an F-style instrument -- in any case it is cosmetics.

More important by far is how the instrument plays right. The guitar neck/nut will be a drag on your sales as soon as the first unhappy customers start getting frustrated. Get your hands on an old Gibson K-1 and see how much better a 1.5" nut plays.

Or arrange to borrow this mandocello from me and see what a gem it is to play. It was a 1940 Vega arch top (super jumbo) before I redid the neck, fret board and nut (1.5") and converted it to a mandocello.

This instrument this plays like "butter" and you'll never get that with a wide guitar neck/fret board/nut.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Collages.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	145693  
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Blog Entries

Gold Tone has indicated on their Facebook page they're about two weeks away from having the first batch of these ready. We'll see if we can dig up some other information like possibly where they'll be available.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

I think that I'd be more interested in an acoustic version, and if I wanted to amplify it I'd install a K&K.

I don't know which I like better, the mandocello or the looper. It does sound pretty cool however. I might like to have a K&K to go along with the magnetic pickup. Steve, for the acoustic version, just don't plug it in.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Thumbs up Re: Gold Tone mandocello -- thoughts?

That looks and sounds pretty great to me. I'd really like to hear it played unplugged.

Since they've finally been released and gotten into at least 2 hands, then check out this other thread on this forum in the CBOM area.... Skip to the 4th page and scroll down to guys holding these mandocellos and start reading. I am currently in battle trying to get mine squared away, and it's not easy.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...one-mandocello

I should point out that I communicated with Wayne several times on this, and wanted a wider neck - not narrower. Big disappointment to have a 1.5 inch neck. For an instrument that many folks will double on - the widest appeal would be to guitar players, not mandolin players - and I think they erred in their choice.