Thread: Affordable but decent mandola?

Default Affordable but decent mandola?

Apologies if this is a conversation that's previously taken place but I didn't find quite what I was seeking in searching. I currently have a VERY cheap mandola that will be a sufficient companion as I get accustomed to alto clef, but the sound approximates a bleating bull with digestion problems - which means that said mandola will never leave the house to be heard by other human beings. (A professional setup would cost more than I paid for the instrument so I'm loath to splash out for one.)

As I start putting pennies aside for a decent mandola, I'm wondering what my options are under $1000? I've seen Gold Tone, Trinity College, and Washburn instruments in that price range, and I know that the Sawchyn beavertail mandola would fit that budget too, but if there are other choices out there I'd love to check them out.

Thanks in advance,
    Lesley

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Default Re: Affordable but decent mandola?

I owned a TC mandola but now I have the TC OM, which is essentially the same instrument. I think they are very good for the price range, which is well under 1K, and you can find good used ones out there.
    Living’ in the Mitten

Steve -

Thanks. I too have the TC OM, and I'm also quite happy with it. I haven't had the chance to play a TC mandola though so it's good to know they play/handle similarly.

Lesley
    Eastman MD-404
    Sawchyn Beavertail Mandola
    Trinity College TM-325
    various guitars, ukuleles, and misc instruments

Washburn offers two mandolas - both priced new around $700.

Here's one:
    http://www.washburn.com/products/blu...n/M226SWK.html

The other:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO_zkWwNM-4

Curious what your current mandola is; ie, if it's better, worse, or even *is* a Hora mandola?

big muddy makes a nice mandola in that price range

Nope, it's not as nice as a Hora <g>... it's a Harmonia that I got for next to nothing. As I said, it will be adequate for helping me acclimate to alto clef, and as long as I'm not playing with anyone else or with an accompaniment track, it's workable in the (very) short term.
    Eastman MD-404
    Trinity College TM-325

Quote Originally Posted by Rtnrlfy View Post
    Nope, it's not as nice as a Hora <g>... it's a Harmonia that I got for next to nothing.
    I can testify that the Sawchyn beavertail, unadorned and simple as it is, is significantly in a league above the other instruments you mention. These are all solid wood, with good-quality properly compensated bridges. I have only seen one used Beavertail mandola in 15 years (I bought it), and a new one would cost the full $1K, I expect. Big Muddy would also be a nice choice, though you rarely see one.

Personally I would avoid the Washburn instrument, unless you can get a demo or blemished very cheap. Initially I was interested in these, but the reviews I have heard on their instrument have all been lukewarm-to-poor, and the sound clips I have heard have sounded brassy and tinny. Yes, I know there is a Youtube video or two showing one being played where it sounds decent, but I would be wary.

For something in the $500-600 range, I think I would lean to TC. I have been pretty impressed with Goldtone banjos, but not with their mandolin-type instruments. There are been many dozens of Goldtone OMs on ebay with badly sunken tops, indicating problems with their bracing strategy. Just look carefully at anything you are thinking about choosing. Another peeve of mine is that these imports (Goldtone, Washburn, and TC), I guess for simplicity, use mandolin bridges on their mandolas (ie, compensated for two plain courses, instead of one plain course like a mandola should have) - this unavoidably will cause the intonation to be at least somewhat off.
    Jeff Rohrbough
    "Listen louder, play softer"

Jeff -

Thanks, yes... I've seen the Beavertail mandolin in person (on an excursion to Folkway in Waterloo) and it was a thing of beauty, simplicity and all. (Had I been alone and not had the hubs in tow, I might have bought it and asked for marital forgiveness later, LOL.) The Sawchyn website lists the price of the mandola at $995 CDN so even with shipping and tax it would come to under $1000 US, I'm guessing.

Lesley
    Eastman MD-404
    Trinity College TM-325

RedKnucklesUnclesCousin GKWilson's Avatar

There are some Washburn blems right now on Ebay at inexpensive prices.
    NotMelloCello. Your second video is a Randy Wood Octave.
    You would have to add another zero to that $700 to get in the ballpark for that one.
    vincit qui se vincit

Newbie Seeking Clues tangleweeds's Avatar

Just another satisfied owner of a TC OM here. I got mine from Elderly 5+ years ago, and the setup was great. Buying from the classifieds here would be cheaper. I was a newbie to stringed instruments so I needed it set up right because I was clueless.

My music budget Is tight (health probs, usual story) and felt both then and now that thel TC OM meets my benchmarks of "minimim spent to get the real thing" / "something good enough not to frustrate a learner." NFI
    recurrent beginner spring 2020 (2016, 2014, 2010)

Eastman MD-515 ... Kentucky KM-172 ... Trinity College Octave TC-325B ... Rogue RM-100A
    various "artisan tweaked" tin whistles ... digital piano ... other small instruments ... way too much sheet music

There are some Washburn blems right now on Ebay at inexpensive prices.
    NotMelloCello. Your second video is a Randy Wood Octave.
    You would have to add another zero to that $700 to get in the ballpark for that one.
    Played them at a local dealer. The necks are way too narrow for me. But they are nice.

You could try calling on this one...
    http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/msg/5520111520.html
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

14. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

That would be right in my back yard if I still lived in Indianapolis! It's probably a good thing I'm reading this post from the UK.

I'll add my positive experience with TC OM to the comments that have already been made. It worked really well for me as adequate quality and in budget for a hobbyist. I would probably have kept it, but took an international assignment in the UK and had a chance to buy a Fylde from another Cafe member.

Thanks, all, for your comments. As I said, I do love my TC OM but I've been ogling Sawchyn Beavertails for a while now and I decided to take the plunge and place a deposit on the Beavertail mandola. I'm really excited (and not just because I wrestled with the Harmonia this morning). I did consider the TC mandola but decided the wait for the Beavertail was worth it.
    Eastman MD-404
    Trinity College TM-325

I have been really happy with my gold tone instruments. I now own 4. I stopped taking ukulele to my gigs, replaced with the GT Mandola. It is on the longer end of scales and I need to order some lighter strings (I want J72 instead of the J76 on it now). The om gets played a lot and no issues now in 2 years of being played nearly every weekend outdoors
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

Smile Re: Affordable but decent mandola?

You might want to look the bouzouki made by Luna. I've had one for 7 years and love it! I paid $400 for mine but now they sell for about $500. Give it a try.

Blue Ghost

Smile Re: Affordable but decent mandola?

Fixing Up My Washburn M226SWK Mandola
    The Washburn M226SWK Mandola seems to have a very wide range of experience for those who purchase or simply try one out — from quite satisfied to terrible. I was of shocked and outraged reaction when I received my online order at $400 & free shipping from Butler Music for a “blemished” instrument (superficial face finish mars/scratches). It arrived with virtually no setup (tho’ action was not bad), seemingly straight from the warehouse or shipping container.

Because of it’s good volume/projection, responsive fingerboard, and solid wood body, I thought it had potential — with the right setup and technical fixes. The basic sound and tone was very thin and brassy, quite oddly like a dirt cheap resonator. There was hardly any potential for variation of tone, timbre or coloration, for any wider variation in stylings or musical nuance. I needed and wanted warmer tone and deeper range – for better flexibility of musical palette stylings. I’m certain most all other roots, Classical and cross-genre players, audiences and luthiers would want the same.

So, I applied some traditional luthier techniques for correcting the original limiting thin-brassy resonator sound and tone. I used the old remedy of applying some degree of leather, chamois or felt onto some combination under tailpiece, bridge/saddle and possibly o-ring around endpin to warm up and expand it’s limited tone, timbre and range:
    Nut, bridge/saddle adjustment — for easier fingerboard action, pick-strum playability, and good full volume and tone.
    Gently filed saddle adjustment — for correct harmonic intonation.
    Removable felt application under the C & G string bridge base, and on the saddle under the low C strings — for deeper-warmer tone and balance of the bass strings.
    Application of removable chamois cloth and high quality 1/4" thick neoprene strip on the tailpiece underside, and between the tailpiece and body — to give more warmth and depth of tone to the overall sound quality.
    Highly durable gloss epoxy refinish, fine compound hand polished and thinned out acrylic stain matched to face of body applied — touching up minor cosmetic blemishes and mars, and better protect the instrument surface. A most definite appearance enhancement.

The new improved mandola is now a beauty to see and play!
    So if you get or see one, and you can see/hear potential for some fix-up, it might work well for you too. ~":o)
    Last edited by Ralph Penunuri; Apr-05-2017 at 12:43am. Reason: Typos & Syntax

Fylde Touchstone Mandola lists for around $1300. He makes great instruments. There's nothing wrong with with TC or Gold Tone but if your already close I would opt to try for a lifetime instrument like a Fylde, Sawchyn, or Big Muddy. Can be tricky but you lose money each time you upgrade. Sometimes it can be more economical (and fun) to buy a better instrument that you will keep longer.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Leyda View Post
    try for a lifetime instrument like a Fylde, Sawchyn, or Big Muddy. Can be tricky but you lose money each time you upgrade. Sometimes it can be more economical (and fun) to buy a better instrument that you will keep longer.
    Yes absolutely.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I also have a Washburn playing nicely (after some serious tweaks). Setup, new nut, new bridge (should have just filed the original like Ralph did!), and a couple of other things

The biggest boost to the sound was when I started to rub the finish off with steel wool to prep for a refinish. The finish was really light, but there must have been something that was damping tone in it.
    Pete Braccio

"The Rules: Play nice and don't run with scissors"
    http://www.braccio.me
    Check out my web site for:
    Jack Tottle music files
    BBC Virtual Session files
    O'Neill's PDFs
    ITM Tunebooks, and more