Thread: Two Scandinavian waltzes

Default Two Scandinavian waltzes

Here are two Scandinavian waltz I've learned from the fabulous spillefolk.dk website.

1) Tösavalsen (K. Abrahamsson)

This is a waltz written by Kaisa Abrahamsson, a Swedish fiddler from the municipality of Nordanstigs in Hälsingland. Score at:

http://spillefolk.dk/nodesamling/pdf/va-tzzsa.pdf

Played on two mandolins and tenor guitar.

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin
    Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

2) Broändas Karl-Johans vals (trad. Finnish)

This is a traditional waltz from the Österbotten province of Finland, one of the two Finnish provinces with a (small) Swedish-speaking majority. Arranged by Gunnar Bärlund, from:

http://spillefolk.dk/nodesamling/pdf/va-brozndas.pdf

Played on two mandolins and tenor guitar

Mid-Missouri M-0W (x2)
    Ozark tenor guitar

Martin

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Martin Jonas For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Two Scandinavian waltzes

Nice tunes, Martin. I had been on that site a long time ago. How do you access the pdf files? Is there any way to download a bunch of these or do they have to be downloaded one by one?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Nice tunes, Martin. I had been on that site a long time ago. How do you access the pdf files? Is there any way to download a bunch of these or do they have to be downloaded one by one?
    Thanks, Jim. The site is huge, but takes a bit of navigation. I don't think there is a bulk download option. The master index of tunes is at:

http://spillefolk.dk/nodesamling/listnode.php

Hovering over each tune name gives you a preview on the right hand side. Clicking on the tune name gets you to the online view of the tune. The PDF files are linked at the bottom right underneath the score for each tunes, with a link saying "PDF node til print".

Martin

I just stumbled across this thread over the weekend and wanted to thank you both for the wonderful recordings you shared and for the link to the Folkets Hus Spillefolk site, which I've started to pour over. What a wealth of transcriptions there - a lifetime of musical meandering there.

Dave

6. The following members say thank you to dcushman for this post: