Thread: New Gilchrist mandolins

My Gilchrist is finally coming and I have become obsessed over it getting here. When it was years out I didn't even think about it; but now that its just days out I nearly can't sleep. ##I'm in the next batch and was hoping some here own or have played some of the #recent mandolins. #I'd love to see some pictures or hear some sound-bites or comments to help me pass the time. # #
    It doesn't matter . . . I'm going to WINFIELD!!!!!

Hey Goose...I had one made by Steve in 95. It took 14 months to get. I am not a patient person to begin with so it was the longest wait of my life. It was worth the wait. Steve builds an incredible instrument and is a great guy to boot. I'm sure you will be more than happy with your mandolin. If not, come to Nashville and trade it in .
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

IMO Steve keeps getting better! The recent instruments have been stellar! Enjoy!!!

I saw one recently. A repair customer brought it by to show me. He's had it a few months, or close to a year, I think.
    It looked very much like a Loar, and had that kind of sound to. It didn't have the look and sound of the earlier Gils that I've seen and heard. Seems to me He's sticking closer to the Loar model these days. At least for that one.

Joe,

After that long Wait, ya went and got rid of it! I bet it hurts now.

Darrell
    Gibson MM #V-70335 5/2002

I played a 2003 Gilchrist A model a couple months ago that was tremendous. #I thought it was the best Gilchrist I've played and much better than the older ones.

Goose,

I can't wait for you to get it either, I want to play it! I enjoyed our jam last night and look forward to the next.

CW

Hey Darrell...I woke up one morning in the hospital with 300,000 in doctor's bills. I had pretty good insurance, but that was not enough. I had to sell lot's of stuff and it was a long time before I got another mandolin. I have been blessed to have what I now do and am very, very thankful. I would not have gotten rid of it otherwise. Michael Cleveland has it now but has not wanted to sell it. Maybe one day.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

big joe, you just said a whole lot in a little sentence. i know i should be more thankful for the stuff i have, you never know when the fat lady will sing.

I read through the Steve Gilchrist interview on Co-mando and he said basically he's been working with Red spruce and // bracing lately, not so much of the other spruces and X bracing like he had in the past. So, I guess you guys are right in your assumption that he's sticking to the Loar specs. Everyone I talk to about Gilchrist always says, "I've never played a bad one". That says alot about his mandolins.

Quote Originally Posted by (Big Joe @ May 13 2005, 16:33)
    #I would not have gotten rid of it otherwise. #Michael Cleveland has it now but has not wanted to sell it. #Maybe one day.

Hey Joe I fill for you on that one. I can understand your position. Tell Mike he doen`t need that mandolin, remind him that he was borne to play fiddle, and a goodn at that #

Darrell
    Gibson MM #V-70335 5/2002

Goose,
    I have #03558 and had to wait over 4 years. I feel your pain. It's the most amazing sounding mandolin I've ever played including several Loars and a Fern. And, it looks as good as it sounds. You're going to be thrilled. Send us some photos when you get it. - Ken

I want to see a picture of one of these!

I have #03548. I haven't had a chance to play older Gil's, but everyone I talk to who has say he is doing his best work now. Mine sounds better than any other F5 style I've played that isn't 80 years old. I'm sure you're going to love it.

I received a Gil F5 mande in Jan 2005. Its a long story how it came to me not for here. However, I already had a 1987 tone bar Gil. Both are great although different. The new one stills needs to be played in. The older one has an incredible tone-but both are clean and clear especially up the neck. I am keeping the newer one and will probably sell the 1987 F5.
    Richard Michaud

Thanks everyone.

Hey Rich, Does that 2005 have good volume and does it have more of a low end presence like a lot of Gils or a mid range presence like the Loars/Master Models? Got any pictures?

So Goose,
    I have this 41 D-18, want to trade your MM in? Glad you're finally getting your Gilchrist. Kenc
    Cartwright's Music & Repair Shop
    "I repair what others sell"
    Stayton, Oregon

Ohhhhhh Ken,

You know my weakness!!! I'll call you this week about that! I also need to order a tasting cd.