Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Pono octaves!

Default Re: New Pono octaves!

I don't know the name of the tune, but I would love to know it if anyone finds out!
    ~David Chernack

2003 Lawrence Smart A5 #145
    2011 Kentucky KM-1000
    2010 Kentucky KM-150
    1961 Silvertone 3/4 octave mandolin conversion
    2015 Eastman E20D

I really want one of these. Really hoping they go into production. Wondering, If production price point is 1K, but they don't go into production, would a custom be 2K-3K?.

Hello all and sorry I missed this thread. My name is Kilin Reece, Ive been an active member of the mandolin café community for many years now as well as a working musician playing mandolin and guitar. There's a lot of questions in this thread that I would like to respond to, please don't hesitate to contact me directly if anything needs clearing up: www.krstrings.com

Krstrings@gmail.com

First off, the song I played is a Hawaiian song written by the great Kahuanu Lake for his wife Ma'iki, it is called Pua Lili Lehua. One of my favorites, like many songs written by Hawaiians it combines affection for flowers, rain, and sweethearts all in one, not unlike Bill Monroes composition, "Little Georgia Rose" or "Wildwood Flower".

We have begun production on these instruments and I should have them in October. I have settled in on two models, as well as two different finish options and two different Tonewood combinations. The most deluxe model will be Indian Rosewood back and sides and Englemann Spruce top from B.C., very thin gloss finish bound in ebony with an abalone Rosette. The tuning keys will be gold, the fingerboard and Bridge are both high-grade Ebony with a real bone nut and saddle. The bridge design is a slightly more robust take on a tiple bridge, with bridge pins, also of ebony with abalone dots. For those who prefer mahogany we will also have all the same specs and appointments, but with very high quality ribbon mahogany back and sides.
    We are also offering both Tonewood combinations in a satin finish option, the only difference being the Rosette which will be rope purfling and the tuning keys will be nickel silver.

The body styles we are offering are a "Terz" size, and a Tenor Guitar size.
    Here are the dimensions of the Terz body style
    Headstock: Solid
    Overall Length: 33"
    Body Length: 16"
    Lower Bout Width: 11 1/4"
    Upper Bout Width: 7 3/4"
    Lower Bout Depth: 3 7/8"
    Upper Bout Depth: 3 1/4"
    Scale Length: 21.5"
    Soundhole Diameter: 2 1/8"

Number of Frets, Body to Neck: 12
    Total Number of Frets: 18

The Tenor guitar measures as follows:
    Total length: 35.5"
    Lower bout: 13 5/8"
    23" scale
    14 frets to the body

I'd like to answer the questions regarding the structural design and integrity of this instrument using steel strings and whether or not this is an attempt to simply use pre-existing molds and design for mandolin family instruments. The team designing these two octave mandolin have over 30 years experience building and repairing the finest acoustic string instruments in the world. In addition to building the custom Ko'olau guitars and Ukuleles, our shop was also for many years a thriving warranty center for Martin, Gibson, Taylor, and many more. All of this experience has informed our thinking in the development of this concept. Both these models feature steel string X brace top bracing, rosewood bridge plates, two way adjustable truss rods and radiused tops and backs. Blocks and kerfing are all made from the highest grade kiln dried and seasoned Genuine Mahogany, with our tops hand picked from British Columbia.
    With regards to the aesthetic appeal of a guitar bodied mandolin family instrument, I'd have to say this concept is not entirely unprecedented historically. Double coursed mandolin family instruments with hourglass bodies go back at least to the 19 teens, I have in my collection several mandolinettos, which while lacking in acoustic prowess certainly have a visual appeal to me. Of course there is the world of Tiples as well.... But I have to say I also have a huge affection for the traditional designs of Gibson's arch top mandolins. This is a copy of the Loar A I recently built for a client on MauiClick image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	837.2 KB 
ID:	148131 that being said, I do feel like there are acoustic tonal qualities to flattop instruments of these dimensions that while allowing mandolin players to still have familiar fingerings, offer a new scope of tone, depth and sustain that arch top instruments of teardrop or Florentine design do not possess. Definitely not better, but certainly different. And if we accomplish nothing more than allowing mandolinist to accompany themselves while singing without having to recruit cranky guitar players I will have accomplished something indeed. (Kidding

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kilin Reece For This Useful Post:

Moderator's edit:
    As per Discussion Board Guidelines, let's keep pricing specs out of the Forum. Information is available on the website, and members are welcome to pursue purchase opportunities through the Classifieds as well.
    Last edited by Ted Eschliman; Jul-19-2016 at 2:49pm. Reason: Commerce

Sorry no sheet music! Cheers-Ki

I can attest to Pono quality. I own a Uke and two guitars. All are top quality construction. No plastic, and great woods provide real value.

Definitely looking into one of these. Choices might be limited in Europe though, and I'd be curious to see how the different scale lengths feel. I'm almost at a "take my money already" stage! Exactly what I'm on the hunt for.

I had been in touch with Kilin via email, and he mentioned that a guy in Galway purchased one. If he's on here and can get a video up, I'd be curious!

Registered User Matt Hutchinson's Avatar

Just watched the two videos here and these look/sound like amazing instruments. I'd love to get my hands on the two sizes and hear the difference from a playing perspective. I hear Trevor's getting stock in at TAMCO here in the UK next year so may have to pop down and have a play (if they don't fly straight out, which I suspect they might!)

Yes I have six on order, can't wait. Due 2nd week jan.
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

I'll have to pop down and try one. Which body size/tonewood combos did you opt for?

M-20 Mahogany
    M-30SB Rosewood Sunburst
    MD-30 Rosewood
    MN-20SB Mahogany Sunburst
    MN-30 Rosewood
    MND-30SB Rosewood Sunburst
    Trevor

All bases covered then!

Watched all the videos. Once I sell my own mando, I'm going to look into one of these. May have to travel to Brighton from Ireland to try one out! It would be nice to play the different scale lengths, just to see...

My first delivery of six arrived today. I am VERY impressed! I only had time to get two on my website, more tomorrow.

Trevor

19. The following members say thank you to trevor for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by dchernack View Post
    Great news to see on the classifieds this morning. I bet these have the possibility of becoming the least expensive octaves available on the American market... different scale-length options, spruce and rosewood or spruce and mahogany... wonder if solid woods will come standard? Either way, I'm excited to find out about a pricepoint and then probably just buy one. Sounds sooo good!
    The Trinity College OM is a good one, also a flat-top but with lute shaped body and floating rather than fixed bridge. In the $500 range used.

I think the hourglass body (guitar concert/parlor sized) of the Pono will be more comfortable for holding on the knee (part of the design logic behind the guitar body in the first place.) The Trinity College tended to slip a lot, in my experience, and really demanded a strap.

Quote Originally Posted by trevor View Post
    My first delivery of six arrived today. I am VERY impressed! I only had time to get two on my website, more tomorrow.
    I look forward to seeing the rest of the photos when they go up.

Anyone know if these might be available in Ireland sometime?

I am happy to ship to Ireland from the UK.
    Trevor

I have had time to get them all on my website now and spend some time playing them. The more I play them the more impressed I am.

Here's some more photos.

Trevor

25. The following members say thank you to trevor for this post:

I have two Pono guitars, a matched pair of rosewood parlors, a six and a 12 string. I believe they are the body size of the larger of the Pono octaves. Pono build quality is excellent with nary a piece of plastic anywhere, binding included.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I just received an MN-30SB tenor guitar body, rosewood, sunburst matte finish today. It sounds great, it's surprisingly easy to play, even with a 23" scale. The fit and finish - well the fit is very nice, the matte finish is not gorgeous, but fine. I was very surprised to find that it is made in Indonesia. None of the information I was able to find out about it on the web suggested this. $1300+ for a flat-top axe made in Indonesia, ok it's not a fortune, but that seems high to me. I do like the octave, which is great. I might have hesitated to buy it had I known where it was built. I am NOT being xenophobic, or casting aspersions on Indonesian craftsmen. But I do think this info should be available to potential buyers.

Wow, those look great. Affordable too. I'm going to have to take a look at one. I'm a sucker for sunburst's.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber