Thread: Ibanez manolins (Model 522)(700)

Default Ibanez manolins (Model 522)(700)

Does anyone out there (under the pain of admitting to "slumming" have any hands on experience with any of the newer Ibanez F style mandolins?

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Default Re: Ibanez manolins (Model 522)(700)

I play a M522S-BS - I haven't been playing long, and I knew nothing really about mandolins when I bought it. I did know it had a solid spruce pressed top, but it was awhile before I realized how cheesy it must seem to anyone with a carved top mandolin . . . the body scroll is flat across, without the carved-in crown that should be there.

I consider the mandolin adequate for learning for a beginner, it plays and sounds like a mandolin, but IMO it sounds and plays like a cheap mandolin. I am happy for the fun times learning to play on it, and I still enjoy the feel of it and play it often, along with my washburn A-style which is moderately a better mandolin in some respects.

Here is a video of the irritating jangly sound of the Ibanez:

For comparison, the slightly less jarring sound of the Washburn M106SWK:

If I could do it over, I'd spend a little more time shopping; with the money invested in these two, I feel I could have gotten a really nice mandolin used. But at the time I bought that Ibanez, I didn't realize that I was about to become obsessed with trying to learn the mandolin. Had I known how important the mando quest would become to me, I might have figured out some way to invest more in an instrument from the get-go.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

3. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post: