Thread: Kentucky KM 505 variations?

Default Kentucky KM 505 variations?

I'm looking to purchase a new Kentucky KM 505 but I keep seeing 2 different variations. For instance some I see advertised have a dark burgundy type finish and no pick guard and others have a much lighter (I believe it's called amber burst) finish with a pick guard. The only one I see on the Saga site is the lighter version with a pick guard. Is the darker one an older model or something? Are there any major differences in the two other than cosmetics? I have a friend that can get me one with his artist discount (less than half of retail) but want to make sure which one I'm getting when I order. I really like the looks of the darker version with no pick guard much better.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	454 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	145141

Default Re: Kentucky KM 505 variations?

I would be surprised if the darker one wasn't the newer model.

OK, it appears that Kentucky has gone in exactly the opposite direction on this as they have on their other models. Recent models on the lower end of the Kentucky line got darker. The KM-505 appears to have gotten lighter. The Mandolin Store shows the model with the pickguard as the "Newly designed Kentucky artist model". Dennis keeps his site pretty up to date so I would assume that the one he pictures. I'm sure the one shown here is the latest model.

Saga shows the same picture here.

That model was a real sleeper a few years ago, it was a really decent instrument for a very nice price. I like the darker color better as well.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

3. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

I am not 100% per cent sure, but I agree with Mike that lighter color with the pickguard is the new one. One thing to note is the Kentucky master models (900/950/1000/1050) were made at a separate facility. The new 505 (mid to late 2015) is supposed to be made with the master models. I don't know if or how that effects the sound or build quality. But after owning a great Kentucky 1050 I don't think it would hurt. You might want to give one of the sponsoring dealers a call and get the scoop.

5. The following members say thank you to Northwest Steve for this post:

Thanks guys, youre probably right about the dark one being the older model since it's not shown on the saga site. The Mandolin Store and Folkmusicians are showing the lighter colored model but Elderly, Janet Davis, The Mandolin Hut, and Instrument Alley all show the darker version in their advertisements. I have an email out so hopefully will get an answer soon. Steve I had also read that the new models were now made in the same facility as the master class models. I believe the article I read (and I can't remember where I read it) said the new models sounded better but the finishes weren't as good.

Edit: Just got a reply from Dennis at The Mandolin Store and he said the lighter one is the new model and is made in the same facility as the KM 900 and up models. He said it's hands down a better instrument but he didn't elaborate in what way (sound, construction?). Sure wish it came in the dark finish though.

7. The following members say thank you to Mike001 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike001 View Post
    Edit: Just got a reply from Dennis at The Mandolin Store and he said the lighter one is the new model and is made in the same facility as the KM 900 and up models. He said it's hands down a better instrument but he didn't elaborate in what way (sound, construction?). Sure wish it came in the dark finish though.
    Just looking at the pictures included above, one can see that the models are not identical except for the finish (note the fingerboard extension). These were, and I would bet still are a fine choice for the money, especially previously owned or slightly blemished examples. It the new ones are "hands down better instruments", that would be impressive indeed. Ask him to describe why/how it's so much better. If the answer seems vague, the true answer may be "we'd like to sell you a new one". Nothing wrong with that, but that is not your only option.
    Jeff Rohrbough
    "Listen louder, play softer"

Well I asked Dennis if he could quickly elaborate about the ways in which the newer model is a better instrument (sound or construction) and his reply was "sound and construction, the factory it's made in is simply better." I guess now the only decision left is whether or not I want to buy an instrument I'm not aesthetically crazy about or spend a lot more money for the darker finish older model.

Buy the new one. The Kentucky master model mandolins are quite good and if this is made in the same factory, that is going to be a nice one. I'd remove the pick guard and just play it.

11. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

I have a KM-550 made in the master model factory and discontinued when the 505 model production was moved. The 550 IHO sounds and looks better than any of the 505's I tried. It is lighter than the 505 but with impressive woods and a dark sunburst really looks nice. Also the KM-550 is louder than my Pava Pro though not as complex a tone as the Pava.

13. The following members say thank you to texaspaul for this post:

Those new 505's are mighty fine instruments and well worth the price.

15. The following members say thank you to Eric C. for this post:

Most of the production for the non-master model Kentucky's has now been moved. The KM-505 was on back order for many months. I was starting to wonder if we would ever see them again! We received the new KM-500 first. The new KM-505 is similar to the current KM-150. The KM-150 was the first model that moved to the new location (in 2012), and went through a similar transformation in that it is not remotely similar to the previous version. The only thing that is the same is the model number.

How is it better? One word. TONE. Yep, the new 505 sounds better.

A KM-505 with a darker finish = KM-500. Previously, the KM-500 was a lower model to the 500. Now it is a color variation.

The KM-140, 150, 156, 250, 252, 256, 270, 272, 500, and 505 are all from the same family of mandolins now. The Master Models are different and the KM-675 and 805 are different.

There should be some F-model changes soon as well. Nothing officially announced yet.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Folkmusician.com For This Useful Post:

Thank you for the information Robert. I didn't realize the 500 was the same instrument as the 505 but with a darker finish. The last time I researched the 500 I saw where they had some problems so I assumed they were a different animal all together than the 505. I see you have one in stock and I will give you a call tomorrow and talk about it....I like that darker finish. I know I said in my original post that I had an opportunity to get one with a friends artist discount but by the time I pay for shipping and a good setup it's not really that much cheaper than buying from you. I also like the fact that I will have a reputable dealer to fall back on in case of an issue and I hear your setups are excellent. Talk tomorrow.

19. The following members say thank you to Mike001 for this post:

gtani7 

Hi Mike,

It is hard to keep up with the Kentucky Model numbers! You are correct that the KM-500 was previously made at a different factory and some did have issues. Some turned out just fine, some had problems and had to go back. The production was moved to the new factory.

I believe the old version of the KM-500 was in production from 2010 - 2012. We received the first of the new version mid 2015. My dates may be off.

So from 2012-2016, the majority of the Kentucky production was moved to the new factory/shop.

Look forward to speaking with you!
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

21. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

I was mando shopping recently and had my hands on a KM 272 and have to admit I was impressed. It sounded excellent and had very impressive volume. I didn't want an oval hole, but it was the only Kentucky the store had other than a KM 150. I personally preferred a radiused finger board and ended up with an Eastman.

All of that is to say that it is obvious that the Kentucky brand is obviously good stuff and I'm certain you will be pleased with whatever model you end up with!
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Spencer the Eastman was my second choice but I don't think you could go wrong with either one. In the hands of a really good player even those KM-150's sound great. I talked with Robert from Folkmusicians today and he's only got one KM500 in stock but expects to have another any day now. When it gets here he's going to pick out the best one for me.

Well I've changed my mind and I'm now going with an Eastman-505 in a classic finish. Nothing against the Kentucky but after discussing it with Robert I think the Eastman will fill my needs better overall. I'm also having him install a nice ebony pickguard and D'addario flatwounds for a more mellow tone since I mostly like playing old time and blues and only occasionally bluegrass. Here's a pic he just sent me of what it will look like after installing the pickguard. I think it looks great!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	362 
Size:	177.0 KB 
ID:	145287  

Can't go wrong with the Eastman or the Kentucky. I've had two Eastman mandos - an MD-504 and an MD-515 - and they were both excellent..

I still own a 2008 Kentucky KM-505. It has the dark finish and is labeled "KM-505".

The KM-505 is loud and rich and has slightly more volume and body than the Eastman mandolins I had. The Eastman MD 515 was a little brighter and lent itself to chop chords a little more than the Kentucky. I play mostly Irish trad tunes and, with a band, rock stuff like REM, Steve Earle, Faces, etc. The Kentucky is more suited to that than the Eastman was.

All great value mandos.

The New Kentucky 500 and 505 are the same mandolin, different colors. The new KM505 is the lighter color “Amber Burst. The new KM500 is the darker burst. The new version have the same flower inlay in the headstock. The older 500 has a different inlay in the headstock.
    Also the new KM500 and KM505 are now made in the same factory.

I just ordered the Kentucky KM500. Dark or “Vintage Burst”

I had one of the darker km-505's for a while - in around 2008. I never really bonded with it so I sold it.
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds