Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Met the Dawg last night!

Default Met the Dawg last night!

Hey Cafe!
    It's been a while......but I found some much needed inspiration last night!!

I went and saw Dawg and Del perform at the Charleston Music Hall and it was amazing! To see two legends perform music they obviously love is a real treat! Del's voice is so good live and of course Dawg is amazing.

Even more amazing was after the show I had a chance to meet David at the merch table. I gave him some Mandolin and Beer stickers and told him he was a huge influence (my BB King) and that I even taught one of his licks on the site (updates finally coming). He said "I know man, I've checked it out" and then pulled a pick out of his pocket and handed it to me........I'm still floating in the stratosphere today. To have a hero say he's checked out your YouTube stuff is mind blowing.

I want to thank David Grisman for being cooler in person than I could have ever imagined and thank him for the renewed inspiration he has given me!

Go see these guys if you get a chance, you won't be disappointed!!!

Daniel

PS sorry pic looks like it's from an old batman show...couldn't figure out how to turn it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	454.4 KB 
ID:	145139

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to danielpatrick For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Met the Dawg last night!

Always a thrill to meet our heroes. What was the lick you taught?

man, that's totally awesome! i've seen david play a few times but haven't had a chance to meet him.

1935 Gibson A-1 Wide mandolin
    Late 1800's Unbranded German fiddle

5. The following members say thank you to fentonjames for this post:

I've done 2, but this was the latest.

Cheers!

7. The following members say thank you to danielpatrick for this post:

AlanN 

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Cool!

So cool! Thanks for sharing!
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

10. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

I've had the pleasure to meet and see the Dawg many times in all the various configurations he plays in. I'm bummed to find out that I'm booked for a gig the same date that he'll being playing in Pittsburgh (June 4: David Grisman Sextet) at the Three Rivers Arts Festival. Since moving from Philly, this is the closest he's been scheduled. I believe it's even a free concert.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

You're big time now Daniel!
    "When you learn an old time fiddle tune, you make a friend for life"

From AlanN - "Always a thrill to meet our heroes.". Isn't that one of the greatest things sbout attending the big Bluegrass festivals ?. Back in 1992 in Owensboro at the IBMA festival there,i couldn't turn around without seeing one or more of my personal 'heroes'. It's nice to hear of any Cafe member having a similar experience,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

That's pretty cool man. I wish I had been able to make the show in Winston a few days ago but other stuff came up.
    I've been wondering about the website, glad to hear you've got some new inspiration.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

Blog Entries

"The Dawg abides"

congrats on meeting my mandolin hero!

Congrats Daniel. DAWG is a gracious guy. I had the honor of being the keynote speaker on environmental sustainability at the Soula Festival in Hot Springs, Montana several years ago where DAWG performed. I was tasked with giving a short speech on sustainability just before DAWG's encore... a huge scheduling error as the rowdy crowd did not want to hear from me and just wanted more DAWG music. DAWG saw this and graciously commented to me on my tough break!

It is always nice when our heroes turn out to be nice people - not egotistical jerks as many Hollywood-types are sadly known to be!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to samlyman For This Useful Post:

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by samlyman View Post
    Congrats Daniel. DAWG is a gracious guy. I had the honor of being the keynote speaker on environmental sustainability at the Soula Festival in Hot Springs, Montana several years ago where DAWG performed. I was tasked with giving a short speech on sustainability just before DAWG's encore... a huge scheduling error as the rowdy crowd did not want to hear from me and just wanted more DAWG music. DAWG saw this and graciously commented to me on my tough break!

It is always nice when our heroes turn out to be nice people - not egotistical jerks as many Hollywood-types are sadly known to be!
    That's a tough slot Sam. Mr. Grisman sounds awesome (in more ways that one).

19. The following members say thank you to BrianWilliam for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by jim simpson View Post
    I've had the pleasure to meet and see the Dawg many times in all the various configurations he plays in. I'm bummed to find out that I'm booked for a gig the same date that he'll being playing in Pittsburgh (June 4: David Grisman Sextet) at the Three Rivers Arts Festival. Since moving from Philly, this is the closest he's been scheduled. I believe it's even a free concert.
    You should PM him and ask him to sit in with you.

21. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

Searching for the Sound

cool ... it's great that these 'greats' still come out and meet the concert goers....

I looked at your Dawg lick vid and while I have a ways to go on the lick, I also highly recommend Lakefronts "Fixed Gear" ... As a Milwaukee resident, I'm a big fan of Lakefront. I do find there is some "hop" to this red ale .. their amber lager "Riverwest Stein" was my go to, but I like the bit of hops that the Fixed Gear has. Also try their IPA, if you are a fan of that style. And, visit the brewery if you are in town... really fun tours !!!
    - 2013 Eastman MD 505
    - 2013 Fender MandoStrat
    - 2021 Eastman MD815

23. The following members say thank you to mtm for this post:

On his way to Crested Butte June 24th. Can't wait!
    2014 Weber F Style Yellowstone HT
    2014 Weber "Special Edition"
    2012 The Loar LM 500 VS

I had the pleasure of attending Del & Dawg in Charleston as well and even met danielpatrick! Thank you for the sticker sir! I have already put it on the case.

Absolutely AWESOME show and an inspiration for me as well. Sometimes it only takes being in the presence of greatness to get the mojo going.

If any of you have the chance and Del & Dawg comes to your area don't miss the opportunity to catch these two legends in action!!

26. The following members say thank you to bluesman for this post:

Registered User mandolin breeze's Avatar

I too had the great pleasure of attending the show in Charleston, 2nd row seats no less! Wow, what a treat - great chemistry between the two masters, everyone had a great time and you could honestly tell they were having a blast. The last tune of the evening, the encore, was unbelievable . . . it was a tune I've never heard, a slow tune, no vocals, none of David's signature licks, no cross picking, etc. just an extended slow melody that judging from David's expression, he put everything he had into it. The emotion and tone that came out of Crusher, I can not adequately describe. At one point, I simply had to close my eyes and try to take it in, before it was over, I had to wipe tears away, it was that beautiful . . . inspired as if it came from Up Above. Thanks David - you are my hero!!! Don't want to leave Del out, he was fantastic. What an evening.

28. The following members say thank you to mandolin breeze for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandolin breeze View Post
    The last tune of the evening, the encore, was unbelievable . . . it was a tune I've never heard, a slow tune, no vocals, none of David's signature licks, no cross picking, etc. just an extended slow melody that judging from David's expression, he put everything he had into
    This one?

30. The following members say thank you to paul dirac for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by paul dirac View Post
    This one?

Wow. That's a beautiful song! Thanks for posting.

I was in the 2nd row too!! Which side were you on?

Registered User mandolin breeze's Avatar

I was on the left side, as facing the stage. I wanted to meet David too, but the line was too long and my brother needed to get home. Was a great evening. Hey Paul and Bbaker, thanks for posting Shalom Aleichem, that's the one.

One of the things I have always loved about Grisman is that, for all his ability to reel off jaw-dropping runs, he also has the ability to play something very simple and leave you hanging on every note. When he plays Freight Train with Jerry Garcia, for instance, the tone and touch are just so perfect that even though the notes he's playing are ones I could easily play, *what* he's playing is like something from Beyond. The same for a lot of the Tone Poems--and for Shalom Aleichem. Thanks for posting that, it is just beautiful.

35. The following members say thank you to Mark Miller for this post:

I had the opportunity to produce an album with Dawg and Duke Robillard called Minor Swing back in the mid-eighties. We did this album live in 3 days on vintage instruments. He was (and is) stellar.

37. The following members say thank you to Vega fan for this post:

I first met and saw David Grisman and Peter Rowen in a group call Earth Opera, at the Main Point a folk club in Bryn Mawr, Pa. in the late 60s. This was my first up front exposure to the mandolin and bluegrass influenced music. Saw him twice there. I was hooked. He was very gracious and friendly, yet he had and still has a rye sense of humor. Kind sits back and grins at the audience.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172