Thread: Zoerner - Man or myth? Trash or treasure?

Question Zoerner - Man or myth? Trash or treasure?

Trying to get info on a Zoerner Bowlback Mandolin circa 1896(?). The internet has nothing and the few shops & collectors I have emailed haven't replied. I could only find one mention on here and it is short. Help!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0328161033a.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	306.4 KB 
ID:	144939Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0328161031.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	574.8 KB 
ID:	144940Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0220161850a.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	241.2 KB 
ID:	144941Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0220161849.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	322.7 KB 
ID:	144942Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0220161844.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	381.6 KB 
ID:	144943

Default Re: Zoerner - Man or myth? Trash or treasure?

Unfortunately very few bowlbacks are valued at high prices. They are generally known brand names by known builders. Mugwumps has this person listed as active pre-1896 in Philadelphia. That date may or may not be true and this person may or may not have actually built this. You'll note in this mention of him that the image is dated 1910. Many people had mandolins built for them by larger companies so they could label and sell them. The stamp on the back of the headstock is interesting but not all telling. It's not in very good shape. Bowlbacks from this era in decent shape regularly fail to sell on eBay. Generally you would expect to see more surviving instruments from a well known builder. The "grade" of a bowlback is generally revealed by the number of staves in the bowl. More is better, less is cheaper.

We have a few resident bowl heads here that might have some other images or catalog pages.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

3. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

I don't know Zoerner, but old bowlbacks are one of life's great riddles -- everything tells you they should be worth money -- they are cool looking, old, historic, made from good materials, etc. -- but somehow they fall through the cracks. I put them in that category of being too cool too throw away, not worth anything to resell, and not worth the time or money to repair and use -- I guess that makes them a cool wallhanger -- but I have too many wallhangers, already! Looks to be in poor condition on top of everything else. Mike is right, I ran an old bowback for 5 plus years on eBay, hoping that one of the world's 7.4 Billion people would want to pay me $300 for it -- nope, no takers out there..............

5. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

I had found a mention of Zoerner as a guitar and mandolin builder in Philadelphia in the 1890s. Carl Holzapfel worked for him after he had arrived from Germany in 1891, but I was unable to find out anything more about Zoerner. Fred Oster in Philadelphia has an extensive knowledge about instrument builders in that part of the US and it might be useful to get in contact with him.

Cheers

7. The following members say thank you to Graham McDonald for this post:

Here's a Zoerner guitar from the Smithsonian National Museum of American History collection. The page mentions "Zoerner is listed in the Philadelphia city directory as a musical instrument maker from 1896-1988* at 4314 Third Street. Around 1897, Zoerner joined M.J. Betz formed the Concord Zither Co. at the same address."

Concord Zither Co. shows up in turn-of-20th-century music trade directories. Looks like a small-time builder with a brief period of activity.

*I'd guess this is a typo in the description; should be "1898" rather than "1988." Zoerner and Concord Zither are in the Mugwumps Index of American Fretted Musical Instrument Makers with "1896-98" dating.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

9. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Yeah, I would guess that was a typo on the date. If the date on the picture Jim Garber posted in an earlier thread is correct someone was still trying to sell his stuff in 1910. He was either still building (or someone was using the same name) or there was a backlog of his instruments. Unfortunately none of this changes the value of the OP's instrument.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

11. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

13 staves but yes, it is "fragile"

I emailed Fred Oster today. Actually got his name from another collector I found. Thanks. I will post update if he has anything more to add.

First, I agree with Mike as well as others: I would say that this Zoerner is in bad shape and is a lower end model so I would not expect that it was worth putting much money into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    they are cool looking, old, historic, made from good materials, etc. -- but somehow they fall through the cracks.
    Yes, and this Zoerner has plenty of cracks to fall through.

As for origin and history, I would say off the top of my head that Zoerner had some sort of arrangement with Weymann. That scratchplate is the same as Weymann bowlbacks I have seen. Either Zoerner made it for Weymann or vice versa. I would guess the latter since Weymann was a maker.

Here is one similar in scratchplate and headstock shape with Weymann label.

Name:	IMG_3042.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	144982

Another Philadelphia maker possible is George Bauer.

Name:	af_3.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	144984

It is possible that Weymann made these mandolins in this period for both Bauer and Zoerner or verse vice-ah.

Here is info from mugwumps.com listing of American makers:

Bauer, George, Philadelphia, PA 1894-1911

Weymann, Harry W. Philadelphia, PA
    Weymann & Son, H.A. Philadelphia, PA 1864-1940s

Zoerner, Armin Philadelphia, PA pre 1896
    Zoerner & Betz Philadelphia, PA pre 1896
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b0_3.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	144983  
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Mar-30-2016 at 4:47pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Here is the response from Fred Oster:

<Fred's answer deleted by posters request.>

Thanks for the feedback y'all! Looks like it will be a wall-hanging at dad's new house

Laurie
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Apr-01-2016 at 11:32am.

Mike,
    Do you know how I can remove one of my posts from this thread? I would like to remove the last post I made - quoting a company - but I can't figure out how to edit or remove it. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by teamtandy View Post
    Mike,
    Do you know how I can remove one of my posts from this thread? I would like to remove the last post I made - quoting a company - but I can't figure out how to edit or remove it. Any help would be great. Thanks!
    It has been removed.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber