Thread: Band to learn Chris Thile's (Punch Bros) Blind Leaving the Blind?

Default Band to learn Chris Thile's (Punch Bros) Blind Leaving the Blind?

Hey is anyone interested? This is the ominous centerpiece to Punch Brothers' debut album, Punch(released 2008). Google it for more info if you haven't heard of it. I have the transcribed sheet music and individual parts available if anyone is seriously interested and lives in the northeast Ohio area. So over the past year or two, I helped on a project to transcribe the whole suite. It's written by Chris Thile, roughly 42 minutes in length, in four distinct movements. Stylistically it comes from bluegrass and jazz, but it's heavily informed by postmodern classical and impressionism. There are some vocal parts, but the majority of the piece is instrumental. The piece is through-composed, but it calls for around 30% to be improvised. Hence most of it reads like a score, other parts are more like a jazz lead sheet. The transcriptions for the first three movements are done, minimal work left for the 4th. It's written for mandolin, violin, acoustic guitar, banjo, double bass, and limited vocals; one lead, and two background.
    So here's the pitch: I need group of guys who can really play... must be able to read/learn/memorize sheet music, improvise solos, and play by ear. Also, two of them need to be able to sing. I'm doing the mandolin and lead vocals. I have a double bassist who's interested but I won't refuse offers if you're good. So all that remains are:

Violin: must be comfortable reading classical-style and also improvising fiddle-style, including some slow blues

Acoustic guitar: can read sheet music, can read lead sheets w/jazz chords, improvise in both bluegrass and jazz styles

Banjo: I won't sugarcoat it... this guy needs to be a freaking wizard. Take a listen, but I seriously think the banjo part is the hardest out of the whole band. Let's just say be prepared to rethink your instrument.

Two of these three should be able to sing, nothing difficult, just some bgvs. Also be prepared for a LOT of sheet music in general. And I might as well add now, please be fun to work with

I do want to eventually perform the piece somewhere somehow, no plans for that as of yet. If you live in Ohio near the Akron/Canton/Wooster area, contact me or comment if you're interested.

Here's the link to the album performance, recorded live, chamber-style:

https://youtu.be/4kPiGN7HkQ8?list=PL...6N20nGZdlS5Cqq

Here is a teaser of Mvt. 2:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Blind Leaving the Blind Mvt 2.pdf 
Views:	145 
Size:	288.0 KB 
ID:	144935

Default Re: Band to learn Chris Thile's (Punch Bros) Blind Leaving the Bl

Damn shame I'm in the uk, I'd love to play through this on guitar. Just read through it.

Yeah... I get the feeling there's going to be a lot of replies like yours. Thanks anyway!

i'd love to do something over here in the u.k can you tell me more about the charts? are they obtainable?
    i transcribed a lot of the matt flier trio stuff i have a band that runs through those tunes it's great fun.