Thread: guitar discussions

Default guitar discussions

does anyone know of a site of guitar discussions that is as great as mandolin cafe is for mandolin discussions.???

Default Re: guitar discussions

Quote Originally Posted by ollaimh View Post
    does anyone know of a site of guitar discussions that is as great as mandolin cafe is for mandolin discussions.???
    No because they don't have as great a topic to discuss

4. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by bingoccc View Post
    I spend a fair amount of time over there. It's extremely active, and with that comes an awful lot of noise. The OpenMic section is a complete waste of time. And even on the main discussion group much of it consists of inane topics like "If you could only have 10 guitars". But some threads are very good. There is an excellent discussion about the merits of playing for free going on right now. (I gave my 2 cents, worth every penny, early on in that one).

Yes, AGF is probably the most active. There are others - a Collings guitar forum, a Larrivee forum, an "unofficial" Martin forum. Probably others. Despite the names they are also good places for general discussions on guitars and accessories. BTW I know about these mostly from Google searches on a topic and it comes up on one or more of these fora.

Another forum is the UTGF (Unofficial Taylor Guitar Forum) it's geared towards Taylors...but it's a great place to discuss guitars in general. Next to this forum it one of the nicest ones I've been to.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

If you like jazz, there's the Jazz Guitar Forum

AGF, UMGF etc. are OK but none are as well designed and organized as the Mando Cafe.

The problem with guitar forums is that they're full of guitar players. Those cats are just "different" than mandolin players.

12. The following members say thank you to Tobin for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    No because they don't have as great a topic to discuss
    good one

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    The problem with guitar forums is that they're full of guitar players. Those cats are just "different" than mandolin players.
    hey, i play both--and harp and cittern on and on

The site below has been recommended to me a couple of times for classical guitar, although I have yet to check it out in detail yet. bb

http://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com

Depends on what you're looking for. This site has it all, but I'm not a builder or a collector, so I'm mainly interested in the discussions of music. While I love bluegrass, when I'm in that mood I always reach for my mando. For me the guitar is all about country blues. There's a phenomenal website devoted to that, with a focus on both listening and playing : weeniecampbell.com

Quote Originally Posted by june39 View Post
    +1
    Very knowledgable, including top non Martin offerings. One can learn a lot there, as many are experts:players, collectors, builders, and pros.

Personally I find umgf very similar to this forum, and less staid. IMHO it has virtually the same type of topic forums as does mandolin cafe.

I find the tone of umgf, despite the eponymous nature of the site, very balanced and civil. I do not find any particular bias, as many own a variety of makers.

I think I have found that it takes a certain regular attendance to sort the credible from the sensational posters.

The Jazz forum is the best place for arch top info that I have found in my internet ramblings over the years.

As Mark said above - depending on what aspect you're looking for. For flamenco, Flamenco Fora is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    Yeah, those guys are missing two strings! It's gotta make it tough to play anything worth while. Also, they don't spend NEARLY as much time tuning as we do.

Suckers.
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400
    1988 Jeff Traugott Acoustic #4
    2012 Eastman 905 Archtop Guitar, BLOND!

Remember to grin while you pick, it throws folks off!

It's been a long time since I participated in guitar forums, the last being the RMMGA Usenet group (is that still around?) What I've seen of the umgf.com forum looks like the closest to a good general-purpose guitar forum. Other than that, you get into more genre-specific forums like catmandu2 mentioned for Flamenco.

If you're interested in Irish traditional music (mostly the accompaniment side), the main resource is probably thesession.org. Under the more recent management rules it's more friendly and less... er, prickly when a guitar-centric conversation is started than it used to be. It's heavily focused on session melody instruments, but still a good place for discussions about various guitar tunings and techniques for Irish trad. As with any newly discovered forum, plan to hang out for a while and get a feel for the place before diving in. There is a guitar/dulcimer etc. sub-forum for Irish trad on Chiff and Fipple but it doesn't see much action.