Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
I was thinking about this subject today, and wanted to get something up here as an example. So I just did a quick recording with a Zoom H5 of one tune I play with this ornament, and here goes...

http://ptjams.com/mb/mp3/Mandolin%20Roll%20Demo.mp3

The "faked roll" is only in the A part, right after that first initial treble (triplet) ornament. Listen for the hammer/pull ornament around the F# note. Notice how the volume of that articulation is so much lower than the percussive "treble" ornaments in the A and B parts of the tune, which is why you don't hear it very often on mandolin.

The tune is "Tony Molloy's," which seems to be a variation of "Contentment is Wealth." I learned it under that former name from flute player Mike Rafferty's last recorded album.
Great playing, I'm glad you posted an example as I'm not really an Irish player,I just play some Irish tunes, and my example wouldn't have been as good. It's like I said, it serves the same purpose as a roll, and it's a cool ornament to throw in. I will agree with s1mon that the more usual triplet sounds more like a real fiddle roll, but that doesn't mean we should throw out the HOPO thing all together