Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gibson F5 Custom advice?

Default Gibson F5 Custom advice?

Hi Folks!
    I'm new to the site and am searching from some opinions and advice. I live in Charleston SC and there are 0 music stores around here that carry mid to high level mandolins so playing and comparing are not really practical options for me. I'm looking to upgrade from my Michael Kelly and have $5-$7k to spend on a mandolin. I'm looking for an F because I know that even if I got an amazing A (like an Ellis) it wouldn't be long before I got scroll envy. I'm trying to be self aware!
    I'm looking for a more traditional tone I reckon and have been eyeing a Gibson F5 "MS" Custom that the folks at The Mandolin Store (who are awesome, by the way) in Az have. Its Dave Harvey signed, fully bound, radius ebony fretboard, and looks pretty amazing.
    Does anyone out there have any hands-on experience with these? I know I'm opening up a can of worms, but would I be better off looking at a used Passernig or a Skip Kelley or something along those lines?
    This is a whole bunch of money and I just want to make the best decision!
    Thanks so much in advance for any advice you might have!

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Default Re: Gibson F5 Custom advice?

Any of the 3 that you mentioned potentially could meet your tonal requirements, etc. I know it's a dead horse that we beat, but you really have to play them first and compare. Most dealers, like TMS, have a return policy; you might have to eat some shipping $$ in order to find your "soul mate"...but it will be worth it...nice budget and good luck, let us know what you get!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DataNick For This Useful Post:

Thank you so much for the reply! Ill keep y'all
    posted for sure!

5. The following members say thank you to tmerritt for this post:

I have a Mandolin Store Gibson F5G (Mandolin Store Custom) signed by David Harvey on March 9th, 2012; I assume very similar to the one you are looking at? I would not trade it for anything; it is possibly the best sounding mandolin I have ever played. And of course TMS folks are outstanding to work with.
    Thanks for your support?

7. The following members say thank you to northfolk for this post:

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

If you're spending that much you should take a trip to Nashville, lots of choices there new and used
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

9. The following members say thank you to darrylicshon for this post:

Hugely helpful! Thank you so much!
    Northfolk, sounds like I'm looking at the same mandolin so that is awesome to hear!
    darrylicshon, I've thought about that Nashville trip, and I just may take it. Just have to get my wife and two youngn's on board. Traveling with a toddler and a newborn… I may need to make that trip alone!
    Thanks again to everyone for the replies!

I actually have one listed in classifieds and they are excellent mandolins. I would definitely try one or at least obtain one with the understanding you can return if not satisfied.

12. The following members say thank you to Fiddler3 for this post:

Registered User Atlanta Mando Mike's Avatar

In that price range, if you don't know what you want, go to Nashville and visit Carter's vintage and Gruhn's. There are so many great ones there, it's an insane resource. I would be thinking Duff, Randy Wood, Elkhorn, Daley, Kelley, Passernig, Gibson, Poe and the like. You have many great options in that price range. It's just about the one that speaks to you.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atlanta Mando Mike For This Useful Post:

If you can find a nice 'used' Gibson ''Goldrush'' model ( or even a 'Sam Bush') i think you'd be well pleased. I haven't read one negative word about the ones produced under Dave Harvey's rule. He's in charge of building some of the best mandolins that Gibson have ever produced - & that's not just my own opinion !.
    A friend of mine bought a 'used' Dave Harvey 'Sam Bush' mandolin several months ago while he was over in the US & it's a corker !!. I had serious ''mando.envy'' when i played it,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gibson F5 Goldrush.jpg 
Views:	853 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	144572
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

I think the Gibson F-5 MS they currently have looks awesome. I would bet my lunch it sounds awesome also.
    '02 Gibson master model #70327 02-01-02
    '25 Gibson A-4 Snakehead #82626
    '06 Hicks #1 and #2 F-5 still not done

Gibson F-5 Master Model Registry

18. The following members say thank you to carleshicks for this post:

One thing you might consider is that it seems like the Gibsons tend to lose their value more so than the individual builders. People tend to want to pay less for the Gibsons , it seems, than say an Altman or a Kimble. Not sure why that is. I thought buying a Gibson meant it held its value. Finding out that's not the case.

20. The following members say thank you to Fiddler3 for this post:

I disagree about Gibsons loosing value more than private builds. Long term(like over generations) I think Gibsons will hold value more than all the small private builders because we have short memories and name recognition may pass with the builders. The Gibson name/legacy lives on. Short term, I think depreciation runs about the same.

I have a Harvey era Gibson F5G and its awesome. I have played another Harvey F5G that belongs to another musician here and it is equally as awesome. Mine is also a custom from TMS although I bought it used from a guy who upgraded to a Master Model Gibson from TMS. I doubt Harvey actually builds any part of them but neither did Loyd Loar. They supervise I guess? But the Harvey era Gibsons are gaining quite a reputation and I think will be known as an exceptional era for Gibson mandolins.

This is not an investment. Its a luxury item, a musical tool, and a long term durable good. I think you will enjoy having it. You have a lot to choose from in this price range and I agree a trip to Nashville would be best BUT if you can't, you probably cant go too wrong with a F5G from TMS. Personally, I try to buy used because like cars, the value drops as soon as you drive it off the lot. But then it holds steady, unlike a car that just keeps dropping. Then it will slowly increase, but not as fast as the cost of living increases. Still better than a disposable item. You will get your money's worth in enjoyment either way.
    Last edited by Astro; Mar-19-2016 at 8:50am.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Astro For This Useful Post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

buy the F5G and go back go pickin'!

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge! A lot to think about for sure!!!

Just to add to the confusion, for 5 to 7k, you could get a Nashville made Flatiron Festival, and a nice vintage Gibson oval hole A style. Your mandolin needs could be met for life, and you'd have some change left.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

26. The following members say thank you to F-2 Dave for this post:

I agree that a trip to Nashville is well advised to visit Gruhn's (ask to check out the good stuff upstairs), Carter's, and would add Artisan Guitars (which carries Collings) to that list. You may also want to check out the Pickin' Parlor in Columbia and Lowe Vintage in Burlington, NC. Would check their websites and call to check inventory before heading to either, but may be more geographically feasible for you. Also, Ron's Picking Parlor in Stanfield, NC (near Concord/Albemarle) carries Collings mandos and occasionally have some used Gibsons in stock. Ron's will actually schedule an appointment for you to have the store more or less to yourself to try things out without the caucophany. Mandomutt in Efland, NC (Raleigh-Durham-ish), also posts some impressive classifieds, and Dream Guitars in Durham has an impressive inventory from time to time. Never been to either of the last two, so can't comment on atmosphere/service, but just thought I'd throw a few more options closer by to check out.

Oh, and Harry and Jeannie West in Statesville may have some good stuff to check out, and I think Jackson Music in Winston-Salem used to be a Gibson dealer. Recall seeing a Doyle Lawson, a Sam Bush, and several other F5s there, but that's been about ten years ago now, so definitely check it out before you drive! Would also call Harry and Jeannie's to let them know what you're looking for...Harry had a pretty awesome mandolin stash that they're liquidating some of, and those may not be on display in the store unless you call ahead...

Good luck in your search!
    Chuck

28. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

There is a Flatiron Master model (Montana made) in the classifieds for $5200.

30. The following members say thank you to Stevo75 for this post:

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    ...I doubt Harvey actually builds any part of them but neither did Loyd Loar. They supervise I guess? But the Harvey era Gibsons are gaining quite a reputation and I think will be known as an exceptional era for Gibson mandolins...
    Hey Astro buddy!

I agree with your overall Gibson sentiments, but this statement is not correct. Gibson is essentially a small boutique shop operation when it comes to mandolins and David Harvey is hands on for a lot of it!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DataNick For This Useful Post:

Randy Wood in Savannah Georgia would be worth the trip. Randy is a great builder and may have some used ones also. Worth checking out.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

34. The following members say thank you to Big Joe for this post:

If you make it to Nashville, also stop in Cotten Music. Kim is a great person to deal with. Also, a trip down 8th Ave. gets you both Gruhn's and Carter's. Even if you don't buy anything, the hours you can spend will be heavenly, although your wife may well not agree. Maybe a spa for her, while you try all the high level toys.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Thanks Big Joe (and everyone else!)
    I've heard great things about Randy Wood and didn't know he was in Savannah!
    I'll make that tip for sure!

- - - Updated - - -

red7flag, nice call on the spa idea!

There's a F5G Custom in Classified for $ 2400....NFI here but it ought to be a good mandolin. I would not shy away from any of the Gibson F models from early 2000's on. I have seen and played many nice ones, especially some of the signature models. I have a 2004 Bibey and it is the best mandolin I could have hoped for in my price range. You can score about any of the signatures for around the $5K mark plus many F5's besides the sigs.

38. The following members say thank you to jimbob for this post:

Americanadian Andrew B. Carlson's Avatar

If I find myself in your situation in the next couple years, I'll be looking for the less likely Gibson F5 MM in the 5-8k range, then I'll look for a newer Duff F5. Maybe even a Northfield Artist 5 bar to make the search a little weirder. Obviously, I'm not in the serious search mode yet, since my preferences are all over the board right now.
    Mandolin, Guitar, & Bass for Doug Rawling & The Caraganas
    www.dougrawling.com
    2008 Kentucky KM-1000
    2014 Martin D-28 Authentic 1937
    1964 Gibson LG-0
    2022 Sigma SDR-45VS

40. The following members say thank you to Andrew B. Carlson for this post:

I'd say for that kind of dough, you opened up a bunch of cans of worms. My advice is simple. You like it , you buy it. You have got to "test drive" one to find out if you like it. Most good dealers will allow that "48 hour" approval time for you to decide. Don't feel guilty if you send a few back before finding that right one for you. I've done it and I'm sure others here have done it. I'd rather be out of a small return shipping fee then hold onto to something that didn't blow my socks off. PS: We don't all wear the same socks!

42. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to f5loar For This Useful Post:

you've been offered excellent advice already by everyone, i'll add my 2c and say a trip to nashville is fun and can be nice for the whole family-you get to shop and play mandos, eat some good food, and check out free live music in most every pub. maybe check who is playing at the ryman theatre and take in a show-thats a grand thing to do also.

option 2: take the family and do a trip to Az and spend your time hands on with stock at Themandolinstore. Especially the one they have in stock that has your eye-Dennis and Brian can easily guide you with things to do for the whole family-and they carry a nice supply of mando brands to compare with.

option 3: check into and possibly buy a Northfield, then with your savings, take the whole family on a fun vacation or trip(or buy the wife something really special). if you haven't played a Northfield, you would do yourself justice to at least try one/some out. TheMandolinStore sometimes have them in stock, and another dealer i've come to really appreciate is TejonStreetMusic. They did have 3 very nice F5 models in stock(along with some Collings). They did have standard and wide nut widths available-which is always nice to have for compare. there again, take the family and do a trip, take a day and play out all the mandos at TejonStreet.

good luck and keep us posted
    d

44. The following members say thank you to darylcrisp for this post: