Thread: Stolen Strad returned (no mando content)

Default Stolen Strad returned (no mando content)

Some may recall that last August a Stradivarius, stolen in 1980 from Roman Totenberg (father of NPR's Nina Totenberg), was returned to the Totenberg family. The Washington Post has published an extensive article entitled "The Violin Thief" about the person who stole it, and the theft. I really like detailed reporting like this. Link is

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/sty...epage%2Fstory#

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to bohemianbiker For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Default Re: Stolen Strad returned (no mando content)

Thanks for posting this.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

That was a amazing story.
    Thanks

A great story...thanks for posting.
    2007 Sumi F-5 Deluxe
    1991 Flatiron Performer A
    Martin D-35

Such a talent, but it seems like he couldn't get his act together in certain ways. It's kinda amazing he could perform with it over the years and never get busted. bb

That's a great story. I mentioned it in this thread [1], along with a few other stolen/lost instrument stories. I've actually read some crazy stories over the years, but i can't seem to remember others.

I lived next door to the Manhattan School of Music for a few years and i heard about somebody getting something stolen. I mentioned to a student in my building and she freaked out, even tho the victim was somebody she didn't know. Just the thought of having her violin stolen. And at least a few students told me stories of their parents mortgaging their house, withdrawing retirement savings, etc to buy them a cello or violin. Crazy micro-world.

[1] http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...onder-Mandolin
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

We've discussed the Totenberg Strad before on this forum, but this is interesting new information from the mentality of the thief. And, even though he was suspected, he basically got away with it..........

I was also thinking about his poor wife and the shock she must have experienced trying to get it appraised and have the FBI show up! I think that would qualify as a "bad hair day".........

So the Totenbergs were given an insurance settlement after the Strad was stolen. Now that it is returned, should it not be the property of the insurer and not the family? Or did they return the settlement?

I had a friend once who had a mandolin, and a REALLY expensive violin which she inherited from her family. She used to play them, and then forget them in bars, that sort of thing. People would ring her up in the morning, 'is that your violin you left on the street last night? It was starting to rain, you'll have to come and pick it up.' I felt badly for her at the time but then one day she had a stroke of luck. Her mandolin got stolen. I thought it was mean that someone would do that, but you know, on and on.
    Anyway, a while later she got hold of another mandolin, not as pretty, but the sound was better. It was worth about the same as the original one.
    And she looked after the violin.

Totally unrelated, but your story reminds me of a classic story my friend tells. He had finished his gig and was tired, driving home probably at 3 or 4 in the morning. He sees a pair of home audio speakers that someone has discarded on the curb for trash day. Excited, he pulls over to get the speakers. He's driving some kind of old beatup compact car with a hatchback. He doesn't have enough room since his guitar and amp are already in there, so he puts his genuine Gibson Flying V with hardshell case on the sidewalk as he struggles to make room for his "new" speakers. Anyway, gets 'em loaded and drives home. Goes to bed. Wakes up wondering, "Did I remember to put my guitar back into the car?" You guessed it! He left it on the curb. He went back to the spot and of course it was gone. Anyway, some early riser got a nice bonus that morning......................

Quote Originally Posted by JH Murray View Post
    So the Totenbergs were given an insurance settlement after the Strad was stolen. Now that it is returned, should it not be the property of the insurer and not the family? Or did they return the settlement?
    I think I remember hearing that they paid it back. 'Twas $101,850. I don't know whether they also had to pay any interest, but even if they did, I'm sure they'll get back that amount and more even if they sell the instrument for less than its current appraised value.

So despite technically being the owners of the violin, the insurance company can't benefit from the inflation in Strad prices over the period since the policy was written. May all of us manage to get insurance policies that are so favorable toward us as original owners.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Blog Entries

Thanks for posting the link. I enjoyed reading the story.

Roman Totenberg got an insurance check for $100K, he took that money and put it toward a $300K violin (not a Strad) which he used until his death. As I understand it, his Strad is now worth $3 Million. I'm not sure how the insurance company, lawyers, and family will sort all of that out, but it makes for a great story.

I personally play a $100 student violin, so I am lucky not to live under that kind of pressure.......................

Interesting story. Thanks!
    Eric

$100 for a fiddle? Wow you are in the big leagues. I paid $25 for mine at an auction sale. I think the tailpiece and strings cost more than the fiddle did.

Well, it's been nearly a year, but the violin was restored, and was recently used in a concert. The Totenbergs still own it, although plan to sell. Today's Washington Post has an article about the current status. B.B.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/enter...=.8acc49d5418b

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bohemianbiker For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Oh man, I just today got my last free WaPo article for the month. I really gotta go ahead and subscribe. Oh well. I am sure they all lived happily ever after.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

I hope it was reunited with the case that was left behind when it was stolen. Great ending and great new beginning for the instrument.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Hank wrote:
    "Oh man, I just today got my last free WaPo article for the month"

Delete all the Washington Post related cookies for your browser, and you'll "reset the clock".

Use a cookie manager for your browser that deletes cookies after each session, and you'll never again be bothered by those sites that only permit so many visits per month (or whatever) without "subscribing"...

Blog Entries

Or use incognito mode. Or just subscribe. I gave they a year a couple of months ago as they have in my mind overtaken the NY Times in recent years. Such excellent reporting, such as this, deserves support.

I really enjoyed these articles and this story. The thief has left quite a string of broken hearts in his wake eh?
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jasona For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post
    Oh man, I just today got my last free WaPo article for the month. I really gotta go ahead and subscribe. Oh well. I am sure they all lived happily ever after.
    You can also use a different browser. If you've been using Chrome, try IE or Safari. You'll get a whole new set for the month. bb

What happened with the Strad Snatched in a sandwich shop, in London, when the owner set it's case down to work her Phone?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    What happened with the Strad Snatched in a sandwich shop, in London, when the owner set it's case down to work her Phone?
    Stolen from a London train station sandwich bar 2010, recovered by British Transport Police July 2013. Search involved all kinds of exotic stuff - Bulgarian Mafia et cetera. Insurance company paid off when it was stolen, she (Min-Jin Kym) got another Strad in the meantime, paid back the insurance company & then sold the recovered one for 1.3 million pounds ($2.2 million), December 2013. She will be writing a book about the experience.