Thread: Savannah SF-100

Default Savannah SF-100

HI
    I play a Gretsch G9350 (F4 Style) mando and I like it a lot. I would like to have a back up mandolin as a spare but do not want to spend more than $300 as the Gretsch cost me almost $600. Does anyone have any experience with the Shennandoah SF 100? It is all laminated wood.

Default Re: Savannah SF-100

At the risk of evoking cries of "ham sandwich," I'll point out that you can get an all-solid-wood Kentucky KM-150 from the Mandolin Store for $299.

Now to directly answer your question, as best I can without actually playing an SF-100: this 2011 thread discusses the SF-100 and SF-200 mandolins, and the consensus seems to be that the all-solid-wood SF-200 is a much better instrument. The Mandolin Hut has a special on the SF-200 for $329, which is very close to your price point.

Appears you want an F-model, and all-solid-wood F-models for less than $400 aren't easy to find. However, I'd go with solid woods if possible.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

3. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

I've posted this elsewhere, but if you're looking for a good spare inexpensive mandolin here's my advice. Buy a Rogue guitar and mandolin package ("two-fer") for a nickel under a hundred dollars, including shipping (www.musiciansfriend.com). Email me for my free ebook on how to set up a mandolin (rob.meldrum@gmail.com). Buy a set of feeler gauges (under ten dollars) and set up the mandolin and guitar. Now when you have friends over you can have a guitar and mandolin jam session.

Search for my other post about the deal on this site with embedded youtube videos of the guitar and the mandolin. Buy them - you'll enjoy them.

Rob

5. The following members say thank you to Rob Meldrum for this post:

My very first mandolin was a Savannah SF 100. Now, it could be that they're actually a half-decent decent instrument for the price, and that the one I bought was a "Friday afternoon" job. But, it lasted under 2 weeks before I took it back and demanded a refund. Heap of rubbish (being polite!). Sounded tinny, zero bottom end, and just wouldn't stay in tune. Action and intonation were OK. It developed a back seam separation after about 10 days.

The store gave me a refund which I used to upgrade to a Kentucky KM 162. Significantly better in every way - tone, build quality, all solid carved woods etc.

Maybe I was unlucky and my Savannah was a dog, but I genuinely believe you'd be better off with a Kentucky.

7. The following members say thank you to Johnny60 for this post:

Searching for the Sound

I, too, started with the Savannah SF 100 (I think, it was a low end Savannah ... I've tried to forget about it) and I would encourage you to run away... very very fast ... from the Savannah SF 100. I suffered 6 long months with it before I got the Eastman, at which point I realized what a reasonably good instrument can do for one's joy of playing....
    - 2013 Eastman MD 505
    - 2013 Fender MandoStrat
    - 2021 Eastman MD815

Thank you one and all for the sound advice.

A friend of mine has a Savannah F-model, but I don't know which. It is actually a decent beginner mandolin. We had a visitor last summer and we were at a bluegrass festival where he couldn't put it down. He is a competent player and it sounded fine in his hands. So some of them are ok at least. I'll have to find out which model it was, but it looks like it will be the solid wood model.

Spencer

I know zero about mandolins. My teacher has a Savannah on his studio wall. He said it was a total POS, but looked nice. Plays poorly and doesn't hold a tune. Looks nice tho. What he said when I asked.

But what do I know
    Eastman MD 515
    1991 33SB Gemeinhardt Flute
    1996 Yamaha YAS 62 Alto Sax

I've had several and all very cheap and with just a little set up they are fine for beginners. In the Uk you can pick up a used one for £150 tops ($225). The SA-120 A model is very much better. All solid and I've had several of those and a couple have been great.

I'd go for the SA-120 if it's just a back up. To be totally honest, whilst it won't look as pretty as the Gretsch F4 style, it will probably deliver at LEAST the same volume and tone providing it is set up properly. I've had hundreds of mandolins including all the top stuff and I really do rate the SA-120 Savannah. Tuners sometimes a little stiff but of the 15 or so I've had, only one bad one.

Jimmy
    UK

I've only played a couple locally, and was very underwhelmed, though I recall a recent thread stating they thought the Savannah production had moved to a different Chinese facility and had improved significantly...can't recall offhand the thread, and too lazy to search (commercial break during March Madness over soon).

That said, based on my experience, I'd get the KM-150 from the Mandolin Store or Elderly and not look back (or find a used Eastman 305 or Loar LM 400). F-styles are pretty, I agree, but for a backup, you get a lot of mandolin for your 300 bucks with a KM 150. Rover also has an all solid A style for under 250 dollars, I believe (made by Saga, who makes Kentucky mandos).

While Rob's advice is not off base (as I agree that you can make most Rogues playable, and the 2-fer deal is pretty darn good), I've come to appreciate the difference in tone and response between entry level and intermediate/pro level instruments. While I have no doubt I could get a Rogue playable, I don't think I'd be happy with the tone. My beater is an Eastman 315 that's really a decent mandolin, but it really pales in comparison in complexity of tone when compared with my Silverangel. I'm really happy I have it to play around campfires and on lake docks, the beach, etc, but it really loses tone up the neck. The lower end mandos I've played (and, I'll admit to playing a lot of them in search of the one that sounds better than a '23 Loar, lol), tend to have some deficiency of tone either up the neck or in a lack of bass response. And, haven't found that gem that sounds better than a real Loar yet .

FWIW,

Chuck
    Chuck

I had a sf-100 only a couple of months before I upgraded to a solid wood mandolin and I could tell the difference between the two immediately. Also I just received robs e book on setup and it is becoming a must have for a reason, excellent book.

Re post #7: I checked and the mandolin I mentioned is an SF-200. It was at a little jam today, and was ok, I played it a bit and it seemed to be a decent beginner mandolin.

Spencer

My first mandolin was an SF-100. I had it set up and put better tuners on it than the stock tuners which were, as far as I could tell, only included for decorative ornamentation. After that it played great with good intonation up to the 12th fret. I'd characterize the tone as boxy. I still own it - it's a fine 'beach' mandolin.
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

My first mandolin was a savannah f100. Plywood kindling with strings.
    Lee Oliver