Thread: How Marshall's Northfield Mandolins Became an International Blueg

Blog Entries

Default How Marshall's Northfield Mandolins Became an International Blueg

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: How Marshall's Northfield Mandolins Became an International B

"With every single instrument, Smith says, the company documents everything -- new materials, new wood, new processes and steps. Bagale says this experimentation can lead to a few duds..."

What happens when these premier instrument makers have a "dud"? I know they wouldn't want a sub-par mandolin out in the world with their name on it, but the fact is, a sub-par Northfield is probably still significantly better than, say, a $125 Rogue from the local Guitar Center.

It might be possible to just remove the logo from the headstock and release it into the wild?

And I know at least one person who wouldn't mind having a beautiful F5 as his primary gigging instrument, since appearances are 90% of the battle...

I'm wondering about the duds as well. Doesn't exactly inspire me to go out and roll the dice on a Northfield.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo75 View Post
    I'm wondering about the duds as well. Doesn't exactly inspire me to go out and roll the dice on a Northfield.
    Update: I actually emailed them, and within 15 minutes Adrian Bagale got back to me! In short, you don't need to worry about "rolling the dice" -- if they have a sub-par instrument, you're probably never going to see it.

He said they may disassemble and salvage various parts, or keep it "in the family" (give it to a kid as a starter, or keep them in the workshop as loaners). I hope he won't mind me quoting him here:

"A dud can be deemed a dud for many reasons. Usually it just means that it doesn't live up to the standard we set - cosmetically.. sometimes in terms of sound. I don't think there's ever been a time where an instrument wasn't playable unless we tried something very atypical about the building process and had some sort of structural failure. Those pieces never made it out the door - we probably disassembled and salvaged parts we could." -- Adrian Bagale

I think it's a pretty fantastic answer... they seem to really value the resources they work with, and learn as much as they can about what works and what doesn't so they don't repeat those "atypical" processes. We all know that not every instrument is going to be perfect... I'd guess that even Gibson has a mandolin graveyard from somebody trying to carve a top a little too thin....

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drew Streip For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo75 View Post
    I know the article does not address your concerns Stevo, but I'm sure the boys at Northfield cull out anything they might consider a 'dud'. After all, it is their reputation at stake. Maybe they'll read this and chime in.?.

Clark

Edit: Sorry, I did not see Drew's post above when I began typing.

Hi everyone. I think you have to take this in the correct context --> we experiment a lot and sometimes things work and sometimes they don't. The comment in the article was written in the spirit of discovery not to uncover some kind of liability with our instruments. We do not sell instruments that we're not happy with. Period.

Back to work. -Adrian

9. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Northfield mando For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Gosh, Northfield has so many world class players as their artists I don't think it's a roll of the dice to get one...here's the list from the Northfield website.

Mike Marshall
    Adam Steffey
    Emory Lester
    Aaron Ramsey
    Don Julin
    Jefferson Louvat
    Joshua Rilko
    Martino Coppo
    Michael Beauchamp
    Zeb Snyder
    Zach Alvis

I got mine last year and couldn't be happier with it...my F5M #268 plays, sounds, and looks beautiful! I take Skype lessons with Emory Lester and he has his new Artist Series and it is a beauty!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Northfield mando View Post
    The comment in the article was written in the spirit of discovery...
    Yep -- which is why I'm so curious to learn all I can. (There's the ex-journalist in me coming out.)

Thanks again, Adrian!

i didn't know how Adam S came to be involved with NF, real neat story on that. i really liked my NF. it had the wider nut, 1 piece back, and just sounded really nice.

one has to wonder sometimes why you do what you do(sell a dandy mando to go after another...............).

i love my Collings, but there will be another Northfield in my family before its over.

d

article just recently published in Fretboard Journal regarding Northfield:

https://www.fretboardjournal.com/fea...ield-mandolins

Adrian, There has been some discussion between myself and a few friends as to where the Northfields are made, one fellow said made in China and finished in the US, another person says they are also being made in Michigan...

I am sure you can clear this up for us..Or anyone one else that knows for sure...

Thanks in advance....Willie

I guess I should have read the above post first...My bad...

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Poole View Post
    Adrian, There has been some discussion between myself and a few friends as to where the Northfields are made, one fellow said made in China and finished in the US, another person says they are also being made in Michigan...

I am sure you can clear this up for us..Or anyone one else that knows for sure...

Thanks in advance....Willie

I guess I should have read the above post first...My bad...
    Willie
    this link will provide all your answers and more:
    http://www.northfieldinstruments.com/about-us/our-story

click on each title on the left side for more info:
    "our team"
    "Our workshop in Qingdao"

The Northfield 'story' got a tad confusing a while ago. We all knew about them being made in China & being 'finished' (final set-up i think) in the US,but now we learn that some are being made in Michigan. Are Northfield making any distinction re. 'which are made where' ?. I only ask because as we know,to 'some folk' it does matter,maybe less that it once did,but nevertheless....,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I've had great mandolins and great service form Adrian. 100% in both cases.
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    The Northfield 'story' got a tad confusing a while ago. We all knew about them being made in China & being 'finished' (final set-up i think) in the US,but now we learn that some are being made in Michigan. Are Northfield making any distinction re. 'which are made where' ?. I only ask because as we know,to 'some folk' it does matter,maybe less that it once did,but nevertheless....,
    Ivan
    i think the only model that was/is made totally in the USA is the M series.

i do not know if the Artist series are fully made in the USA or if they are the combined effort.

every Northfield I've played has been an excellent mandolin. i really like the black top F5S that TejonMusic has right now.
    been thinking on that one hard for some time, but I've had a string of Vet bills for one dog and a cat that wiped out my instrument fund savings($2900).

19. The following members say thank you to darylcrisp for this post:

Hi Daryl - Get yourself some pet insurance !. Vet's bills can be HUGE !. My own 2 cats have insurance up to the value of £12,000 UK ($17,250 US) of treatment each. OK it costs a bit per month,but it's worth it for peace of mind & your ''mandolin fund''. I pay it & pray to our gracious Lord that they'll never need it,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dylan & Russell.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	155.1 KB 
ID:	144390
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I've been reading about Northfields for about a year and have not been able to play or even see one. Looked up their distributors, found one about 60 miles away went there close to a year ago. They were fresh out of Northfields but would call me when another came in, have not heard a word from them and now they are not even listed as a distributor.woolen love to pay one to see for myself how good they are.

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

All I can say is we've had more really great players show up to the concert series using Northfields than any other. Years ago, players would bring their prized high-end instruments. Lately, very few, and mostly Northfields. Traveling can be a gamble, and these are just inexpensive enough to not have to worry as much, plus, they sound great. Each individual player sounds exactly like himself on his recordings, so that's about all you can ask for, period.

Northfield deserve all the praise they're getting, in my opinion. I've played 4 F5S models, one A Style master model and one F2. All were beautifully made, great playing and great sounding instruments.

24. The following members say thank you to Johnny60 for this post:

With all of these high praises on here they don`t need to advertise very much do they? I am going to try and find a dealer myself just to see if what I am reading is factual, I`m sure it is but different people like different things ...SO I have to see for myself....

I recently had a chance to play a friend's Northfield and was very impressed. It sounded like it should have costed at least double of what the buyer paid.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band