Thread: MTO vs Pava A4 or MT2O vs Ellis A4

Default MTO vs Pava A4 or MT2O vs Ellis A4

Collings and more recently Ellis/Pava have gotten into the oval hole market. I am really curious how these instruments compare as far as tone. I would love to A/B them, but that is not really possible at this time. I know some of you go to the big shows and have played them. I am even interested in comparing the MTO with the MT2O and the Ellis A4 to the Pava A4 as far as tone. Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Plays Well With Others Nate Lee's Avatar

Default Re: MTO vs Pava A4 or MT2O vs Ellis A4

Here's Marc MacGlashan playing a Pava oval hole: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqYkA7c-Rkk
    Nate Lee
    Music Teacher
    Mandolin Player & Twin Fiddler for the Becky Buller Band.
    Proud owner of Pava mandolins #83 & #194
    www.TheNateLee.com
    www.PlayNately.com

Default Re: MTO vs Pava A4 or MT2O vs Ellis A4

You need to keep in mind the woods being used, especially with the Collings MT2O's as they use adirondack, italian, or engelmann and there is a big difference. There is also a difference in the maple being used. An MT has an engelmann top.

I'm not a big fan of using sound files to do comparisons. There are too many variables, unless you can find someone that will do them in a controlled environment.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."