Thread: Trophy Straps

Default Trophy Straps

Anyone ever used one of these? I know some folks have issues with metal parts, buckles, etc. but it doesn't look like any of those would touch the instrument. I have NFI, just found these the other day. They remind me a bit of Souldier straps.

http://trophystraps.com/t/mandolin

Default Re: Trophy Straps

Never seen one, but don't like what I see on the web page. Metal parts can and do find ways to damage instruments, so those parts alone would stop me buying a Trophy. The other materials and designs strike me as unremarkable at best.

I don't care for the metal parts on the straps either. I'm still kicking myself for letting my old Webb strap go with this mandolin.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chris_Warner_Mandolin.JPG 
Views:	197 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	144267  
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

I think they actually look rather nice.

5. The following members say thank you to Tommcgtx for this post:

A buckle so close to the scroll would put me off immediately,otherwise i think the available patterns look rather nice. A 'flawed' design as there's no need for an adjustable scroll loop. Simply make a closed loop about 4 1/2" long when pressed together, & that will fit most scrolls. Maybe a polite e-mail to the manufacturers wouldn't go amiss,& they'd save cash on not buying buckles & punching holes in the strap. The metal 'adaptor' press studs should be replaced with short,plastic
    'Chicago Screws' as well (IMHO),
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chicago Screws.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	144286
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

7. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

gtani7 

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    A buckle so close to the scroll would put me off immediately,otherwise i think the available patterns look rather nice. A 'flawed' design as there's no need for an adjustable scroll loop. Simply make a closed loop about 4 1/2" long when pressed together, & that will fit most scrolls. Maybe a polite e-mail to the manufacturers wouldn't go amiss,& they'd save cash on not buying buckles & punching holes in the strap. The metal 'adaptor' press studs should be replaced with short,plastic
    'Chicago Screws' as well (IMHO),
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chicago Screws.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	144286
    Well, a closed loop is fine for an F-style instrument, but this can be used on any style I think. No?

9. The following members say thank you to Tommcgtx for this post:

I like a number of the designs, but I do believe that some metal part will invariably do something on the instrument in the case. The straps look like they're adustable in length, which is good, and I guess a metal buckle is the way to do that. The strap I have on my mandolin is just a plain, straight leather strap, and it has a metal buckle for adjustment, and I haven't noticed any problems with it damaging my mandolin, so who knows? I wish the site included some photos of the straps attached to mandolins so we could see how they look in action. Their gallery has only guitar players.

Jack

11. The following members say thank you to JCook for this post:

I'd maybe overlooked the fact that it could be used on an "A" style as well - but that's just as bad. As it is,the total size of the loop doesn't look long enough to be used under the f/board extension. I'm pretty sure that the length required to go under & around my Ellis "A" style f/board was around 14". That gives a bit of room for sliding it back & forth to adjust the way it sits against your body.
    This method,is the one that i copied from my banjo strap .It's just a piece of round leather thong passed 'double' through 2 holes in the strap & passed through the loop it makes. The harder you pull on it,the tighter it gets,as you'd hope with 16 lbs of wood & brass hanging around your neck !,
    These days,i use straps made by Pinegrove leather,over here in the UK :-
    http://www.pinegroveleather.co.uk/Le...p/pg150637.htm
    Rob Boyes, who makes them was the only guy out of the 4 that i contacted, who was willing to make me one. As a disclaimer,i must add that i have NO financial interest in his business,
    IvanClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0003.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	327.0 KB 
ID:	144303Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pinegrove leathers..JPG 
Views:	148 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	144304
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

13. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

So, just an update, since everyone was soooo interested in these . I bought one, and have had it on my F for a few weeks. It is definitely not as nice as my lakota leathers strap, but is still nice. I think the width of it makes it comfortable. I recently won a flat top mandolin on facebook, so I'm using it on that one with loop on the headstock. A final observation is that in order for the small metal parts to damage an instrument, you would have to do it intentionally. I have not taken it off my mandolin, even while in the case with no issues whatsoever. You would have to push one of the small, smooth buckles into the instrument to cause damage. They don't come near the instrument during normal usage.

Blog Entries

I happen to like Trophy straps. I have a number of them, and switch often. I mostly like the designs. Very cool.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

16. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post: