Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gretsch g9350 park avenue oval f mandolin

Default Gretsch g9350 park avenue oval f mandolin

Hi. Does anyone have any hands-on experience with this mandolin?

Default Re: Gretsch g9350 park avenue oval f mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by ifakesummando View Post
    Hi. Does anyone have any hands-on experience with this mandolin?
    I don't but I plan on playing it as soon as they get one in at Bill's Music in Catonsville, MD. Doesn't look to be carved. Says solid wood. Possibly pressed?
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

I have seen and played one. I was not impressed at all. The workmanship was mediocre and the sound was not good at all; very thin and tinny? This particular one had issues. It had a pickup in the bridge and a hole in the top for the wire to go through. The hole was in a spot where you could not move the bridge back far enough to intonate the mandolin properly.
    Thanks for your support?

yes, the wood is solid and arched.

Quote Originally Posted by northfolk View Post
    I have seen and played one. I was not impressed at all. The workmanship was mediocre and the sound was not good at all; very thin and tinny? This particular one had issues. It had a pickup in the bridge and a hole in the top for the wire to go through. The hole was in a spot where you could not move the bridge back far enough to intonate the mandolin properly.
    Thanks. I wondered about the pickup being in the bridge and being able to move it easily for intonation. Wonderful. Well when Bill's Music calls, I still may check it out but odds are I'll be leaving MT handed.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

It would seem odd that a company such as Gretsch/Fender would place that hole for the wire so as to impede intonation. Are you a long time player? Do you have experience with intonation setups? If you do then perhaps this was a one-off defect. I have read a few good reviews online and if this were a factory issue it would be reported much more frequently. Wouldn't you agree? However, if it were an issue one could simply have the wire externalized (as on the external mic/pup add-ons sold by after market makers) and run it into the jack on the lower bout.
    Last edited by ifakesummando; Mar-05-2016 at 12:04pm.

Just my experience, but I have yet to play a Gretsch or Fender mandolin that impressed me. I've played a few of their offerings. Its kind of like many guitar luthiers aren't to be trusted with your mando - just because someone can build a good guitar doesn't mean they can build a decent mando.

It would seem odd that a company such as Gretsch/Fender would place that hole for the wire so as to impede intonation. Are you a long time player? Do you have experience with intonation setups? If you do then perhaps this was a one-off defect. I have read a few good reviews online and if this were a factory issue it would be reported much more frequently. Wouldn't you agree? However, if it were an issue one could simply have the wire externalized (as on the external mic/pup add-ons sold by after marke. makers) and run it into the jack on the lower bout.
    I've been playing for about 40 years; off and on. I have been setting up acoustic instruments; especially mandolins for almost as long. I play many different instruments. This particular mandolin was as I said it was. The owner brought it to me for a setup. I told him he should return it if possible, as there was no to intonate the bridge without modifying the bridge; in other words, re-routing the wiring through the bridge? I suspect it may have been a second or a blem? I still was very disappointed in the sound; very thin. I have played other Gretsch Roots model instruments and have liked them very much; irish tenor banjo, resonator guitar, etc.
    Thanks for your support?

I disagree with you guys abut the quality of this mando, I have one and I think it's a heck of a value for the money, mine plays fine sounds full and I strongly prefer it to the similarly priced Loar that I had. I can't disagree about the intonation but mine is fine so I haven't had to bother with it. I would purchase this mando again, no regrets.
    Weber Black Ice F
    Gretsch Vintage F Oval hole
    Washburn A, Oval hole Mandola
    Weber Black Ice F Octave Mandolin

It would seem odd that a company such as Gretsch/Fender would place that hole for the wire so as to impede intonation. Are you a long time player? Do you have experience with intonation setups? If you do then perhaps this was a one-off defect. I have read a few good reviews online and if this were a factory issue it would be reported much more frequently. Wouldn't you agree? However, if it were an issue one could simply have the wire externalized (as on the external mic/pup add-ons sold by after market makers) and run it into the jack on the lower bout.
    This morning I did ask a guy, over the phone, at a music store in Burlington, Vermont. He had a couple of these for sale. He felt that it wouldn't be easy to move the bridge very much, to deal with the intonation. I still plan on checking one of these out myself, in person, just to satisfy my curiosity.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

Additionally my experience with in-bridge pickups has been unimpressed. Many guitars and mandos have in bridge or undersaddle piezo pickups. The piezoelectric effect is based on the element developing a millivolt signal in response to vibration or strain. If a piezo element is mounted such that it always is under strain even when not being played, which is the case with an in-bridge or undersaddle piezo, this limits the element's response to develop a signal due to vibrating the string. This can lead to a quacky, tinny overdriven sound.

I'm a proponent of mounting piezos under the soundboard where they are free to resond to vibrations but not under any strain. This also eliminates the need for exposed wires running thru holes in the soundboard.

12. The following members say thank you to Mandobart for this post:

gtani7 

thanks for the info...to one and all...

I started this thread because I just ordered one also...on paper it seems like a good deal....I will get in on Tuesday next...and I will let you know....thanks

yes, do that Wilkamm...thanks

hi, Mandobart....I would imagine that the Gretsch could be modified to your suggestion, right?

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I've always liked the way they look, i have looked for one used can't seem to find many , that could be good. I am looking forward to you review
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

I started this thread because I just ordered one also...on paper it seems like a good deal....I will get in on Tuesday next...and I will let you know....thanks
    You ordered one? Under $500.00? Get a gig bag? Don't answer, if you believe this is too personal a question?
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

hi, Mandobart....I would imagine that the Gretsch could be modified to your suggestion, right?
    Well, yes. I don't do this as a business myself. I've mounted many pickups in my own and some friend's instruments. To do this yourself would cost about $30 for new pu and jack, and whatever a new CA or similar bridge runs (about $60 per their webpage). Yes you could use the old bridge but I'd want to retain the ability to return it to original condition, so I would carefully remove the old bridge, wiring and jack and replace with new. If you paid someone to do this I would expect the labor to be maybe $150 US or so. So to pay someone to do it would run about $240 plus tax shipping etc. I would try it first as is and see if you can set the intonation well and if you like the plugged in sound.

20. The following members say thank you to Mandobart for this post:

gtani7 

I'm a proponent of mounting piezos under the soundboard where they are free to resond to vibrations but not under any strain. This also eliminates the need for exposed wires running thru holes in the soundboard.[/QUOTE]

I have a Kentucky KM700, pawn shop special, with the pickups underneath the soundboard. Nice sound and never had a moments trouble with them. Sort of "out of sight, out of mind". To me, that sort of installation seems to make the most sense.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Kammerzell For This Useful Post:

gtani7Jim 

Been thinkin' about the 9350 as I'd like to get an oval hole F style, which I've never owned, and they are a rara avis on the low end. The nearest other one might be an Eastman 514 but that's at least twice the price.

you guys are too hard on this Gretsch, it's a totally fine mandolin.
    Weber Black Ice F
    Gretsch Vintage F Oval hole
    Washburn A, Oval hole Mandola
    Weber Black Ice F Octave Mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
    Been thinkin' about the 9350 as I'd like to get an oval hole F style, which I've never owned, and they are a rara avis on the low end. The nearest other one might be an Eastman 514 but that's at least twice the price.
    The MD 514 is close to twice. Best price on a Eastman MD514 I have seen is about $900.00, with a case. Seems like the street price on a Gretsch 9350 is around $579.00 with a gig bag. Might be had for around $500.00? I still intend to try one out as soon as I can. That is what I'm looking for also. F scroll with an oval hole. Possibly Acoustic/Electric.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

Well, ideally I'd love a three-pointer oval hole F style, but good luck finding one of those below a couple grand. I wish there were just a few more at a lower entry point.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mando-threepointer1906.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	219.4 KB 
ID:	144241

27. The following members say thank you to Petrus for this post:

Smile Re: Gretsch g9350 park avenue oval f mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by willkamm View Post
    You ordered one? Under $500.00? Get a gig bag? Don't answer, if you believe this is too personal a question?
    no, it is not personal....$579 no case no bag...but it was purchased from a store with good return policies and they do an extensive pre-check....if it ends up being an issue with the bridge...I will do one of two things as long as it plays and sounds good: 1) un-electrify it and go strictly acoustic (which i prefer anyway) 2) exercise the 30 day return policy. However, I am hoping for the best.

note: please see corrected reply....I did not have my glasses on when I read Willkamm's comment...and I thought he wrtoe "GET A BIG BAG...." I though he wanted me to toss the Gretsch into the garbage.....LOL....take no offense Wilkamm...It was my mistake....:
    Last edited by ifakesummando; Mar-06-2016 at 12:02pm.

Well, the tone of this thread has been civilized up to this prior remark...
    My apologies sir.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)