Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bridge Tilting Forward

Default Re: Bridge Tilting Forward

Quote Originally Posted by Bob byk View Post
    Could I have done something to create this condition?
    You mean, like...play? It happens.

I also lube all slots in nut and bridge with a sharpened pencil, always have, always will. Some say with modern and quality materials, that is not needed. I do it anyway, just part of the string change routine.

Okay here is the latest - Took it in and the guy went to straighten the bridge and it went back to the tilted forward position. He suggested that I wait until I am ready to change strings and he will take care of it at that time. He said it could be that he inadvertently flipped the bridge when he put it back on. If that wasn't the problem he could file down one bride to have it sit properly.

Again I am not sure if it was always like this. This is my first mando and have been at it for a year Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

Go back and tell this guy to put a new set on at his cost. He screwed up and he should make it right. If he says no, contact the owner of the store. If the owner says no go find another store to do business with.

4. The following members say thank you to George R. Lane for this post:

alfie 

He said he would make it right. I had the impression the reason that he suggested to wait was, it will be done at no cost.
    Last edited by Bob byk; Mar-03-2016 at 7:30pm.

If he changed the bridge around, 1. Get it done right away
    2. He doesn't know what he is doing, you change strings one at a time unless there is other work to do.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I originally purchased it from Elderly, which a good hour and half away. Found an Eastman dealer in the area (Huber Breese). Probably best to take it to them. Very ironic, I did not want to change the strings by myself, afraid of messing something up. Oh well, lesson learned.

Thanks all
    Last edited by Bob byk; Mar-03-2016 at 9:17pm.

Funny thing I was looking through the form and under "General Mandolin Discussions - Advice on buying my first mandolin" there is a link to a demo mandolin on ebay. If you zoom in on slide #8 bridge is tilted forward. I am starting to wonder if this is just a characteristic of the Model.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eastman-MD30...kAAOSwvgdW1yX9
    Last edited by Bob byk; Mar-04-2016 at 7:30am.

Quote Originally Posted by Clement Barrera-Ng View Post
    Depending on the bridge, there may be too much play in the holes in the upper saddle where they go into the two posts on the base, that no matter what you do, there'll always be a little bit leaning. That's the case on every Kentucky Master models I've seen that has the stock bridge on.
    Yeah, I just bought a KM-1050 and that is the case.

In fitting the bridge some like to slightly tilt it backward, but not purposely forward. I would check the fit of the bridge, lower the tension and flop the bridge down and remove it and turn it around and see if the fit is better or worse. If it fits turned around then the tilt would be a slight backward tilt which would be acceptable as it helps keep the saddle from pulling forward when tuning.

If you flip the bridge around make sure you check the slots in the saddle so that the most forward set of slots is holding the E strings, if the luthier flipped the bridge around the saddle maybe backwards also....I have owned a few Kentucky`s and have never seen the bridge leaning, I don`t know who you fellows deal with but they don`t seem to know proper set procedures....

Willie

Adrian Minarovic

There's good info around here.
    Many of these cheaper bridges are prone to leaning forward as the thumbwheels and saddles are not as tight on the post as they can be. More often than not the whole bridge or just base of bridge gets flipped and thus lean forward. In these cases the base may be ill-fitting to the contour of the top. I'd suggest using shop that really knows mandolin bridges.
    Adrian

Is there any reason / need for me to rush and get this resolved? If so, why?

Thanks

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob byk View Post
    Is there any reason / need for me to rush and get this resolved? If so, why?

Thanks

Bob
    Look at the base of the bridge where it fits to the top. Does it fit well, are there gaps on the tailpiece side and not the headstock side. If it were tilted enough that it has left the top on one side then it could compress the top on other and that would not be good. If on the other hand both sides fit the top without gaps then wait until it is convenient, but watch it so it doesn't keep tipping and fall over as that would not be good either. Play lots and wear out the strings sooner so it will be resolved quicker.

Please excuse my descriptions not sure of the correct terms for the mandolin . I cut the corner of a 3x5 card to get perpendicular surfaces. When I put the cut card on the back side of the bridge, there is a gap at the top. However, when I put the card on the front side of the bridge it looks great. It appears to me that the profile of the mandolin changes from the front to rear of the bridge. The "feet" of the bridge look solid as they sit on the mandolin.

If the feet are solid take your time. Just don't let the tip get any further over. If it does pull it back. Maybe keep your card in the case and check it now and then. Play lots, wear the strings out and get it reset.

Thanks Pops!!!

One of my friends has double saddle nuts on each post. One right under the other. He said it was to prevent this problem.