Thread: Vintage Gibson mandolin vs mandola pickguards

Blog Entries

Default Vintage Gibson mandolin vs mandola pickguards

Did Gibson use the same size pickguards on both their teens era mandolas and mandolins, but just respectively adjust their placement?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Vintage Gibson mandolin vs mandola pickguards

Quote Originally Posted by JimRichter View Post
    Did Gibson use the same size pickguards on both their teens era mandolas and mandolins, but just respectively adjust their placement?
    I'm pretty sure that on the A-style they were different. I had a 1912 H-2 and the pick guard on that one would have been too long for an A-2 I think. Don' t know about the scrolls F-4 v.H-4.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

I'll apologize in advance for doing it this way, but I am not in front of my F4 and H4 to take the actual measurement. So I'm relying on a photo, with measurements taken by setting a scale for each instrument based on the string scale length and then measuring the length of the pick guards for comparison. See photo below.

The H4 does have a longer pick guard, by about 5/8" additional length. It is also narrower. It would be difficult for me to verify the distance between where they connect to the neck and the bridge without removing the guards entirely, but if there's anything I can measure to help answer your question, let me know and I will pull them out this evening to get measurements.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H4-F4 Pickguards.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	575.5 KB 
ID:	143976  

I have here what is a mandola p/g. I "fit" it to a 1916 F4, and is is too long. If you fit the rounded curve that goes around the tip of the fingerboard to the mandolin, the p/g would push the bridge way down towards the t/p. It is obviously too long to accommodate a 13 7/8" scale. Also, the clamp will not grip the rim of the mandolin, it will not close up tight enough, showing it is made for a deeper body.

Tobin; it looks very much like the one on your H4. Same celuloid material, and shape, with celuloid clamping rod.

They're different. A while back I decided to sell some parts. Not something I do too often. I grabbed two pickguards, listed, and sold them. Within a couple of days I got emails from both buyers that they didn't fit their mandolins. Turns out they are for mandolas. I had to refund both parties but they were understanding. What are the odds? At least now I know.

Phil