Thread: Removing LR Baggs Radius and Reinstalling

Default Removing LR Baggs Radius and Reinstalling

Hi all.

I did a search and nothing came up, so I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere.

I need to remove my LR Baggs Radius from my current mandolin and install it on one I'll be receiving this week (New Mandolin Day!). I currently have it installed with the VHB adhesive. Can I just pop the thing off and stick it on the new one?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
    Scott

Default Re: Removing LR Baggs Radius and Reinstalling

Quote Originally Posted by midwinter View Post
    Hi all.

I did a search and nothing came up, so I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere.

I need to remove my LR Baggs Radius from my current mandolin and install it on one I'll be receiving this week (New Mandolin Day!). I currently have it installed with the VHB adhesive. Can I just pop the thing off and stick it on the new one?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
    Scott
    My lrbaggs is mounted with the " putty " it comes with and I have no problem removing or repositioning the pickup from time to time .

Yeah. I had no trouble using the putty to move it around. But the VHB adhesive is much stronger. I've emailed Baggs's tech support to see what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by roysboy View Post
    My lrbaggs is mounted with the " putty " it comes with and I have no problem removing or repositioning the pickup from time to time .

FYI, the Baggs support guy, after offering (unasked!) to send me some new adhesive, said this:

"Yessir, Just pop that guy off and re-attach it with the new adhesives."
    So there you go.

The radius is a great pick-up; no matter how loud the room is, the pick-up sounds natural and doesn't feedback.

However, I wanted to swap it to another mandolin. The clear putty stayed on the top and I had to slowly and carefully remove it. The putty is no longer re-usable. The bigger problem though is the goo that was left behind on my mandolin. Does anyone have any idea how, or what to use, to clean it off? I can't be the first person with this problem!

I've had an L R Baggs on my Gibson for several years now. Every 6 or 8 months or so, I'll remove it for a D&C (dustin' and cleanin'). I've used the same "putty" all those years. Further, when it's removed, there no mark or residue. You can't even tell it was there.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

Teacher, repair person

I am not familiar with the VHB adhesive, but have found that mineral spirits and patience removes most adhesives.

Put some on the adhesive, let it soak a couple of minutes, and rub it in with your fingers. It may take several applications to soften it and break it up. When it's loose enough, you can get it off with your fingers and a soft cloth. Be sure you don't scratch the mandolin with a fingernail.

VHB looks like it's industrial strength and might be a bit of an overkill.

Now, I can only blame you guys because you brought the subject up. As I said earlier, I have an L R Baggs on my Gibson. Well, the putty is now DRT. (That's Dead Right There, as opposed to FTD, Fixin' To Die.) Anyway, where can I get some more without paying a dollar for the putty and $5.00 for shipping?
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.