Thread: G-Sharp Guitar

Default G-Sharp Guitar

NFI here, but I just saw this and thought it was kinda cool.

I don't think I'm going to order one tonight, but if I were in a band, and looking for a way to add some color to keep the second set sounding too much like the first, I might consider it.

http://g-sharpguitars.freesite.host/
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Austin Bob For This Useful Post:

Default Re: G-Sharp Guitar

It looks interesting but I think I'd tune it to G rather than G#, then it would match Eb instruments and also match terz guitar/requinto tuning.

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Now we get to say it: is that a ukulele

5. The following members say thank you to BrianWilliam for this post:

Is this at all revolutionary? I don't get it. There have been other small guitars and there are some out there even now. Tacoma made the Papoose with a slightly shorter scale (about 19 inches) and tuned to A instead of G#. Joe Veillette makes short scale guitars electric and acoustic. So what is the big deal?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

7. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

I have a Bruko octave guitar, which is basically a six-string tenor ukulele with six (very light) steel strings. I play it annually, just to remind myself that I own it; the Bruko never found a niche in my repertoire.

The Yamaha Guitalele has been around for quite a while, and Strunal has been making "mini" instruments for a long time.

Now, a Martin 5-18 --that I'd really drool over...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Is this at all revolutionary? I don't get it. There have been other small guitars .... So what is the big deal?
    Maybe it's the pickup that is special and it's the plugged-in sound that is "the big deal" with these guitars.
    I do not know, never played or heard one in person.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Is this at all revolutionary? I don't get it. There have been other small guitars and there are some out there even now. Tacoma made the Papoose with a slightly shorter scale (about 19 inches) and tuned to A instead of G#. Joe Veillette makes short scale guitars electric and acoustic. So what is the big deal?
    Yeah Jim, there are a ton of niche instruments out there, including too many little guitar type of thingys to list.

I just thought this sounded kinda cool with the pickup, and the price wasn't something that would break the bank.

But in the end, it's probably like the ukulele basses out there; fun to play for an hour or so, but hard to justify owning one.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

I know someone with a "half scale" guitar--same scale length as this one--and it's normally tuned A to A--instead of G#--so merely a half step different--And it is fun to play--and being A instead of E makes it simple to transpose between regular guitar music.
    Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

12. The following members say thank you to zedmando for this post:

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Wouldn't G# be a third up?

Which at least would be harmonious. The fourth? A bit more thinking. But transcriptions are easier yes
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

What a coincidence! I recently got a Cordoba Mini nylon string guitar, that I tune a major third above regular tuning. Thought I was the inventor of the "Major Terz Guitar"...
    And now the G-sharp, well at least it would be the perfekt steel string companion to my Cordoba.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmqYF4JyVzg

Quote Originally Posted by David Lewis View Post
    Wouldn't G# be a third up?

Which at least would be harmonious. The fourth? A bit more thinking. But transcriptions are easier yes
    Yes, a major 3rd.

Although tuning to A is a better idea than G#, I suggested G tuning to match already existing guitar parts for terz guitar.