Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Mando Cost Me My Wedding Ring

Default Re: My Mando Cost Me My Wedding Ring

Pasha - Sorry for you loss you are in my prayers

Actually when I read the thread title, I thought you were referring metaphorically to your mandolin having cost you your marriage, or something. It sounded like a hook to a potentially good Country song, too.

My technique must really be wrong because I can't picture how a wedding ring gets in the way of playing.
    Bill Snyder

I'm on my second ring. Wife bought me a cheap $20 titanium ( I think) ring off Amazon. I love it. I take mine off before bed and before shower. Doesn't bother me at all when playing mando.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Snyder View Post
    My technique must really be wrong because I can't picture how a wedding ring gets in the way of playing.
    It's not really "in the way", but I feel it between my fingers and it rubs a little when my fingers are moving fast. More of a distraction than anything. I like to play unfettered, so rings come off and sleeves get rolled up.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Well then you have an excellent reason to visit a jewelry store with your true loves. Wife , mandolin and check book on one outing. Your wife and mandolin can pick out a wedding ring that suites them with maybe something extra for the wife as a peace offering. From you and the mandolin of course. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
    ... when I read the thread title, I thought you were referring metaphorically to your mandolin having cost you your marriage, or something.
    That was my first thought, too. Glad that's not the case - for the mandolin's sake. On the other hand ...

My sympathies to you for your current situation. But a couple of aspects of this have me wondering ... OK, it's a good hook, a catchy title, but don't blame the mandolin. It was your choice - and in retrospect, not a very good one. I hope the ring turns up - and it sounds like it should be at the cleaners. Unless it slipped out sometime while your wife was handling your coat. I'd keep after them, at least one more time.

The thing that I don't get - and I don't mean to cause any more grief than you've already suffered - is how it took you "a few days" to notice it wasn't on your finger? Personally, I can't wear rings because I'm always aware of their presence - but that's just me. Also your wife didn't notice, either? I'm puzzled.

Never mind all that, not really important, now. I hope the ring shows up, soon. And I'll bet you'll be more careful from now on!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

That is gut-wrenchingly awful. I agree with the suggestion that you make an event of replacing it. Go out with your wife to pick out a new one. Let that symbolize recommitment to the marriage.

When I got married I was an avid basketball player. Right back from the honeymoon, I go to the gym and as I'm getting dressed I start to take off the ring. And I just can't. So I played with it. It felt terrible at first. Every time the ball touched my left hand there was this hard extra thing clunking against it. But eventually I got used to it. Never noticed it playing mando or guitar.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha Alden View Post
    Sorry about your ring. I still wear my Celtic wedding band and my husbands on my hands. So I understand how you feel. Yesterday was 5 months to the day my dear Mike passed. I still miss him. Strength to you and perhaps the mandolin can give you solace in time to come.
    Strength to YOU Pasha. That puts it all in perspective.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

I've always done the kind of work that is dangerous when wearing a ring, so I never wore mine. Later my wife and I both sold our rings to raise funds to adopt our son and we've never replaced them. I did have a friend who always put his ring in the accessory pocket of his case when playing; he's been doing that for 30 years and so far so good.

Bob, I hope your ring turns up, it's obviously very important to you.

Pasha, My condolences on the loss of your husband.
    Eric

Pasha, so sorry for your loss.

Personally, I can't wear rings because I'm always aware of their presence
    That's my situation as well, no plans to ever marry again so not really an issue ;-)
    Jim Richmond

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Well, I'd be willing to give it a shot, given the right person, circumstances, and opportunity. And I'd be sure to let her know, oh-so-subtly, perhaps repeatedly, about the sacrifice I'd be making for her sake. (Just got to work the angle, you know? )

Seriously, I've had a couple-few rings over the years, and they all have mysteriously vanished.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

had a cool Stirling silver ring that broke, then I read of industrial accidents

where the rings held But the finger Broke instead .
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    ...no plans to ever marry again so not really an issue ;-)
    ...as if life cared about our plans but you know that, of course
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Sort of off topic, but sort of on. I lost my wedding ring once. I brought burgers and cole slaw to a pot luck. After I had been at the potluck for awhile, I noticed my ring was missing. Everyone was helping me look for it. I was looking in the backyard, tiptoeing through the piles of poop. Others were looking in the house. Finally I gave up. Later a friend of mine held up the ring. It was in his cole slaw...must have come off when I was using my hands to make sure the dressing coated the slaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    It's not really "in the way", but I feel it between my fingers and it rubs a little when my fingers are moving fast. More of a distraction than anything. I like to play unfettered, so rings come off and sleeves get rolled up.
    That must be it. I don't know that anyone would ever describe my fingers as moving fast.
    Bill Snyder

I saw the thread title and thought maybe someone got smart and sold a ring and bought a nice instrument. roflol.
    Just kidding you for sure. Hope you find the ring. The wimminz folks can get a bit touchy about one losing their ring.
    Basic "BACK PORCH" picker. ( They don't allow me on the front porch).

My wifes engagement ring cost me a Hobie Cat! Mind you I got a Vega tenor banjo instead of a wedding ring

Hope the ring turns up.

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Wow Bob, that's a bummer... I know that feeling when you realize you've lost something REALLY important.... All the blood rushes out of your face and you realize there's just nothing you can do... I'm sorry!

I personally can't stand to take mine off... I've always worked with my hands doing carpentry or metal fabrication so when my (now) wife and I were shopping we chose a brushed titanium ring to stand up to my abuse. I've gotten so used to it being there that it just feels too weird to not wear so I've never taken it off longer than a few minutes. I know that doesn't help your situation, but I just wanted to share my experiences alongside others.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

I recommend a tungsten carbide replacement. That's what I have and it is virtually unscratchable. It measures a 9 on the Mohs scale. I work with my hands on engines every day and it is as shiny as the day I bought it. If it gets crushed, it will break off, instead of compressing.
    Inexpensive too. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MTG7F2/
    And you can get one by Tuesday

When I play I always just move my wedding ring from my left hand to my right hand.
    PJ Doland
    1923 Gibson Snakehead A

Shredded Cheese Authority Emmett Marshall's Avatar

Sorry to hear about the loss of your wedding ring. I can understand the anger, but as others have said, it's not the mandolin's fault. On a side note, I'm curious if anyone else has tried practicing with weighted, fingerless gloves? I use them for practicing Karate punches, and one day, I practiced my mandolin with them for about an hour. Then I took them off and played without them - wow! I was so limber and everything felt so easy. Highly recommend that experience.
    Weber F5 Bitteroot Octave - "...romantic and very complicated."
    My instruments professionally maintained by...RSW
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7UmUX68KtE

Quote Originally Posted by CJFizzix View Post
    Sort of off topic, but sort of on. I lost my wedding ring once. I brought burgers and cole slaw to a pot luck. After I had been at the potluck for awhile, I noticed my ring was missing. Everyone was helping me look for it. I was looking in the backyard, tiptoeing through the piles of poop. Others were looking in the house. Finally I gave up. Later a friend of mine held up the ring. It was in his cole slaw...must have come off when I was using my hands to make sure the dressing coated the slaw.
    There's a moral to that story somewhere, but I think it relates more to the wisdom of having a 'pot-luck' in an area where there are 'piles of poop'.