Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: your mandolin ownership history

Default your mandolin ownership history

Thought it might be fun to write out my own and maybe y'all will also:

1994ish Oscar Schmidt A style plywood top ($175). All you could get for under a grand at the time. No decent entry level mandolins were available on the mass market back then beyond old Gibson A's which I did not know about yet.
    1995 90s Flatiron A5 Jr signed by Helen Beausoleil I sold to someone in CA (via the cafe!). Purchased at Star Music in Christiansburg VA for about $800.
    1997ish Mid 90s Flatiron Performer F, low end model from MT. Bought on the cafe for around $1900. Sold on cafe
    2001ish Nashville Flatiron F5, highly appointed, basically a Gibson F5G. $2500. Sold on cafe.
    2007 Downsized to start making my own mando, but got into making beer (which led to opening my own brewery) bought a cheap Kentucky 505 A style just to keep playing. Bought and sold via cafe $300 both.
    somewhere in here I played a borrowed Ratliff A5 for awhile. recently sold by owner on the cafe.
    2012 Locally build two-point Dancer from Damascus, VA fiddle maker. Bought From Capos music in Abingdon, VA. Sold on cafe. Around $1900.
    2014 TN build Loar style F5 McGhee. Great mando. Bought at Cotten Music in Nashville. Just sold on cafe. $2000ish both ways.
    2016 2015 Weber Yellowstone HT F5 bought locally at Capo's music store (cafe advertiser and great shop/owners).

Hard to believe I've been playing that long. I only owned more than one for a year maybe. Would love to own multiples. 8 mandos over 22 years is 2.75 years per mando. Catch-and-release. Slowly building up.

Interesting that prices in general seem to have dropped 20% since the late 2000s and to see what has held their value.

Also interesting that I seem to be a Weber guy. Never owned a Sound to Earth, but 4 half my instruments were built under Bruce's supervision.

Last, I want to thank Scott and the mandolincafe crew for facilitating nearly all of my mandolin history

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chris.burcher For This Useful Post:

maxrzedmando 

Default Re: your mandolin ownership history

Interesting. Thanks!

My mandolin history - unlike my guitar track record - is surprisingly simple.

1971 - Grandparents bought me a no-name flatback mandolin...which was soon destroyed by accident when a buddy sat on it.

1972 - bought a Suzuki-type Japanese made bowlback w/ case...I still have the case, the instrument was my mandolin until about

It looked like this one:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	142066-004-5F88F493.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	143778

It had a decent tone and was pretty loud. It lasted until 1992 when it was damaged and I sold it as a fixer-upper.

I was by then working at a music wholesaler and tried a number of the import budget arcthop mandolins but didn't like them. For a while I used a Paracho-made Mexican mandolin:

I even used this while playing in an Italian ensemble for almost 10 years.

circa 2000

Got my first Vietnamese made mandolin as seen in the avatar picture. Liked the sound so much I bought 2. One is tuned to Bb for playing with a clarinet player.

Meanwhile I found a used L and H bowlback. Nice but the Vietnamese mandolins were louder so I gigged with them.

Last year I got a Greek made Matsikas (Sakis) bowlback mandolin which sounds great and plays surprisingly well and I've been using it more and more live.

Currently I'm waiting for Ernie Fishbach to finish a custom-order flatback mandolin, with extended radiused fingerboard - sort of a flat back with a neck like an Embergher!

Ernie's work:

http://www.institutefortraditionalst...ic_history.htm

http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/...F%20Soundworks

Here's picture of one, mine will be rosewood with a plain tortoiseshell color pickguard, purfling on the edges, etc. And the extended fingerboard.

Ernie copied the design from an antique mandolin he had, and this design is surprisingly LOUD for a flat-top model.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

So you are actually wanting us to put down this down in a public forum where a spouse could possible see? Mandolins are harder to hide than fly rods and reels.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Northwest Steve For This Useful Post:

Couldn't possibly -- it'd take the rest of the day, and would inflict universal boredom. I can give the beginning and most recent:

1968 -- found two mandolins and a banjo in the attic of my grandfather/great-aunt's house in Pike NY: a 'teens Gibson A-1 and a B & J Victoria bowl-back. Had the A-1 repaired -- big top crack "mended" with adhesive tape -- started a bluegrass trio two years later.

2015: purchased a Weber Gallatin "sopranolin" piccolo mandolin from Bernunzio's here in Rochester.

In between, years of madness...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Couldn't possibly -- it'd take the rest of the day,...

In between, years of madness...
    Is that why you refer to yourself as a "Mando accumulator"?

11. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

1975 - Old bowl back from my wife's great aunt's estate. I finally had a luthier set it up and make it playable around 1977.

1980's - I don't remember exact dates but the order was: Flatiron 1-N, Flatiron 3-MC mandola, Flatiron OM, Kentucky KM1000

1999 - Weber Fern, Petersen OM

2010 - Old Wave A, Forster Bouzouki

2016 - Phoenix Neoclassical
    Eric

Cool stuff. that's hilarious, steve.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    Is that why you refer to yourself as a "Mando accumulator"?
    You got it. Have somewhere around 17-18 mandolin family instruments now: three mandocelli, two octave mandolins, two mandolas, two mandolin-banjos, two resonator mandolins, and a bunch of "regular" mandolins ranging from a couple Gibson F's, to two of the Eastman DGM "Dawg" series, to a five-course fanned-fret custom I had Bernie Lehmann build me. Oh, and that Weber piccolo mandolin.

"What a long strange trip it's been," to quote Garcia, Weir and Lesh.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

from my earlier thread, "My collection's complete"

‘50s Kay
    Aria PM-780 (marked “hand made,” f-style)
    Gibson A-3
    Alvarez A-100 (12-fret, a-model, f-holes, wood binding)
    Framus Guitar-shape
    Joe Hayes Unique with f-holes (folk art)
    Ibanez A-5 (15-fret, snakehead)
    Kingston Electric (hollow body)
    Flatiron 1N
    Montana A Oval (Romanian-made)
    Kentucky A-180 f-hole (MIJ)
    Kentucky A-160S (MIJ)
    Vega VM-10 (MIJ, laminate)
    Ibanez A-model
    Framus A-model
    Flatiron A5-1 (Carlson)
    Hondo A oval hole
    Alvarez A-400 (Martin cant-top clone)
    Fender FM-61SE
    gibson “opryland” (tourist souvenir)
    Aria M-300 (2-point)
    Yasuma YM-130 (solid wood, MIJ)
    Kentucky KM-180B
    Aria Pro II A-style (very disappointing, laminate)
    Alvarez 2-point
    Kalamazoo KM-11
    Ibanez A-style (interesting distressed finish)
    Ibanez D-hole
    Kentucky KM-250S (MIJ)
    Aria M-180
    Stiver A5 (great!)
    Washburn M-2
    Muth F-5
    Breedlove KO
    A5 IV kit
    Cohen A5 (redwood/walnut)
    Muth A5
    ’24 Gibson A2Z
    Phoenix Bluegrass
    Ellis A5 Deluxe
    '25 Gibson A

All that remain are the Kay, the 1920 A3, the Cohen, the Flatiron 1N and the Muth. (I mean the IV kit remains, but that neck joint failed and I'm not doing a reset.) The Kay is a wall hanger and the Muth will be released one day. I'm strongly committed to my A3, my Cohen and my 1N. I do sort of want an f-hole Gibson. . . all in good time, and perhaps after I actually go out and buy a new OM-28A.

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatt-dad For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Kentucky KM171 from amazon. Still have the box it came in
    '14 Pava - Elderly
    '88 Flatiron 2M - ebay
    '15 Collings MT - ebay
    '15 Pava - the Mutt
    Last edited by Mark Wilson; Feb-19-2016 at 1:47pm.

19. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

In 2010 I got an Alabama ALM30S. Since then I have bought and sold:
    1930s Regal
    Epiphone MM-50
    Eastman MD-305
    Loar LM-600
    Eastman MD-505
    Kentucky KM-172
    Eastman MD-315
    Shiraki XM-25
    Flatiron 1N (why, why did I ever sell that mandolin?!)
    Now I have one very beat up and very nice sounding Flatiron Festival A.

21. The following members say thank you to Franc Homier Lieu for this post:

My mandolin purchase history is very simple:
    1976 - bought a bowlback at a swapmeet for $25, it was a nice diversion for about 2 years, when the bowl started falling apart. End of phase 1 mandolin playing.
    ~1982 - bought a cheap import A with pressed laminated body for about $70.
    1993 - bought my current Flatiron Performer F $1850.
    Steve Lavelle
    '93 Flatiron Performer F
    Customized Eastwood Mandocaster (8str)

23. The following members say thank you to Steve Lavelle for this post:

I was born on March 14, 1954. Somewhere nearby, faint and carried on a howling Irish gale, the sound of a mandolin trilled (or it could have been a rusty gate). I smiled (or it could also have been the wind)...

Today it is my mandolin trilling on the wind (The Santa Ana's) probably having the same effect on newborns...

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eddie Sheehy For This Useful Post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

. . . Now I have to respect Eddie as my elder. . .

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

27. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Most long gone:

Michael Kelly 'A Solid'
    Weber Bitterroot F - mahogany
    Henderson F5 custom
    Altman F5
    Brock F5 'Torch & Wire'
    Gibson A2
    Elliott A5 custom
    Duff A5
    Duff F5
    Collings MF
    Harmony Monterey
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

29. The following members say thank you to Phil Goodson for this post:

Blog Entries

I started 33 years ago with a 1909 Gibson A, which I still have. In early 2013 bought an 80's Japanese built Kentucky 200s, sold that in order to purchased a Kentucky KM-650, also an 80's Japan factory instrument with all solid woods. I then bought a J Bovier A5 Special. Next, I purchased a Kentucky KM1000. I acquired a late nineties Mid-Missouri flat top. My next mandolin, and my favorite, is a (Howard) Morris A4e. I then added a Loar LM600. I sold several instruments, including two incredible guitars and bought a Gibson F-9. I subsequently traded the Gibson F-9 for a Collings MT Gloss Top. I purchased a Red Line Traveler. I sold the Collings and bought a Gibson acoustic electric guitar and a Kentucky KM-805. At the end of the day, I now have the four mandolins shown in my signature. I have learned what I like in a mandolin through all of these changes. I am looking forward to many long and happy years playing these instruments. Good thread!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lflngpicker For This Useful Post:

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

I am impressed with the history shown here. Thanks for sharing!

My ownership history is simple...

March 2002- I was given a Fender Fm53s for my sixteen birthday. I still own it. Played the heck out it.

2010- Stopped playing for a while and got into backpacking.

2014- Started having kids and needed to be home more. Picked up the mandolin again as an indoor hobby.

November 2015- Bought a b-stock (the) Loar LM170. Still own it.

December 2015- Won the prized Weber Yellowstone F from The Mandolin Stores contest. I'm so blessed also still own it.

33. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post:

Shredded Cheese Authority Emmett Marshall's Avatar

This is like asking for a list of the names of ALL the girls you ever dated! (laughing)
    Weber F5 Bitteroot Octave - "...romantic and very complicated."
    My instruments professionally maintained by...RSW
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7UmUX68KtE

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emmett Marshall For This Useful Post:

Sometime in the early 60's, my Dad got me a Stella which I then traded up for a Harmony....then we really went up and traded for a 1918 Gibson A oval hole. That was it for me until the need for electricity hit and then I got a Harmony acoustic electric(plywood) but ok. Then some where in the 2000's, MAS hit me hard and I proceeded to own 3 different Michael Kelleys, then had a Kicker mandolin built by Steve Donald in Oklahoma in 2009. Stopped until I purchased a Poe 2point, which has caused me to sell my 2012 Gibson F5G to purchase a brand new Poe F.....Whew!

-Buchanan flat top: bought this at Trevor's shop in Brighton, but it didn't get much playing time as I was so obsessed with the tenor banjo. Sold it along with a bunch of other stuff to fund my move to the States.

-Gibson A50: impulsive eBay purchase. The flat fretboard and tiny frets didn't do it for me so sold it.

-Flatiron pancake 2M: another eBay purchase, really nice little mandolin in great shape but I have a wandering eye, sold it for..

-Weber Aspen #2: from Elderly, in custom "Denim stain" finish, a little garish but I liked it. Sounded lovely too, traded towards Gallatin.

-Pomeroy A4: Was for sale on the Pomeroy website. Loud, neck was a little chunkier than I prefer, sold it.

-Redline Traveler: custom finish inspired by a Les Paul Goldtop, including cream coloured pick guard. Sold it to fund:

-Weber Custom Gallatin F w/oval hole: from The Mandolin Store. Of all the mandolins I've had this was the one I bonded with the most. I put so many hours of playing onto that thing. Still regret selling it, but got my head turned by...

-Weber Vintage A: from Greg Boyd's shop. Beautiful instrument but I never clicked with it. Had to sell it when I lost my job suddenly.

-Eastman 905: sold the Vintage A to a cafe member and got this in partial trade. My first mandolin with f-holes. A really enjoyable mandolin to play. Sold it to fund..

-Mike Black A2Z: really lovely instrument, purchased from a cafe member. Had to sell it a year later due to owing the taxman $$.

-Hilburn A5: got on Jim's list to have this built for me (documented in a thread here) about a month before I lost my job. Was determined to see the build through and worked 4 part time jobs so as to be able to survive and pay this off at the same time. It never got the playing time it deserved because by the time it arrived I was in the throes of my still continuing obsession with jazz drumming. Sold it last year to fund a move to a new city.

-1927 Gibson Ajr snakehead: did a search for "Ajr" on Reverb and this one popped up being sold by Bradford & Franke Strings. Just got it back from my luthier where it got a refret with larger fret wire and after playing it for hours yesterday it occurred to me that I haven't felt this connection to a mandolin since my long gone Gallatin. Neither of them are high dollar mandolins but their playability and workhorse like quality are what do it for me.

Somewhere along the way I also had a J.Bovier electric mandolin that I used as a travel mando. That got sold when I lost the job as well.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

I want to enter the running for "quickest to insanity". I have to be close to most mandolins in the shortest period of time, though nowhere near the overall title. My first mandolin was a Fender Mando-Strat purchased in late 2013. My first acoustic mandolin was purchased in early 2014 and it went something like this:

2014 Eastman 315 (sold)
    2014 Gibson F9
    2014 Collings MT-O (sold)
    2014 Pava Satin (sold)
    2013 Poe Scout
    Red Diamond oval A (traded)
    2014 Breedlove Crossover
    SilverAngel A (sold)
    Kentucky KM150 (sold)
    Rigel A+ Deluxe
    Newell Shortscale A5
    Black A4
    Passernig A5 (sold)
    Ellis A5 Deluxe (sold)
    Red Valley AM
    RedLine Traveler
    Weber Absaroka oval
    2015 Northfield Model M
    2013 Pava - just got it a few days ago, thx Pat!
    -Jim

39. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jclover For This Useful Post:

Jim, you're my hero.

41. The following members say thank you to Eric F. for this post:

Just read this, interesting but now I feel older knowing I am several years older than both fat-dad and Eddie
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Jim that's . . . uh . . . yeah, that's awesome!

I bought my first mandolin on a whim a couple years ago, a MarkStern taterbug, knowing nothing about mandolins, and found the cafe when researching info about it; I joined here but never posted. I picked on it briefly, loaned it to a violinist friend and let him keep it over a year. I kept getting an itch to play one after that, and bought an Ibanez "supposed" f-style with a pressed top, began learning a couple tunes at mandolessons.com and posting here. Shortly after starting to post here, I bought a Washburn A-style. I love both of those beaters for learning, and hope to get a better sounding mandolin after I learn to play. I currently own 13 or 14 guitars, and no doubt will have a couple nice mandolins if I live a little while longer

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	einstein_mando.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	143813
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando