Thread: Octave divider recs?

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

Default Octave divider recs?

A guitar player I work with just bought one of those "harmonizers" to beef up his vocal choruses. Tried playing through his mic with my flute and it sounded pretty cool.

But actually, I'm not interested in the harmony aspect, but could use octave (below) doubling either to beef up (lower) the mando ( via pickup) rhythm underneath a guitar break, or for the flute (SM57 mic) for lower sax/horn section lines (21st Century Schizoid Man, Harlem Nocturne...)

Any recommendations for an decent octave stomp box(es) for less than $100 or so?

(Added afterwards) Also, would like something that will take an XLR cable as well as 1/4". That aforementioned harmonizer took lowZ mic cables. Will any of those harmonizers also generate just a octave line?
    Last edited by mandocrucian; Feb-18-2016 at 9:57am. Reason: added questions

Mandocrucian tracks on SoundCloud

CoMando Guest of the Week 2003 interview of Niles

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!." - Randy Newman ("It's A Jungle Out There")

Registered User Chunky But Funky's Avatar

Default Re: Octave divider recs?

Hey Mandocrucian,

I really like the Electro-Harmonix Micro POG or Nano POG. You would have to find a used one because they are about double your requested budget new. The Boss OC-2 or OC-3 are popular as well. Good luck! Pedals are alot of fun.

Doug
    Red Penguin Rentals & Red Penguin Remote- High end outboard recording rentals (Pgh, PA)
    Mics from Neuman, Korby Audio, Royer, Sennheiser & EV and Remote Recording featuring Mac Computers, Metric Halo Interfaces, Pro Tools & Logic

"Cedar makes for excellent soundhole sniffing"
    Steve Miklas - Acoustic Music Works

Octavers tend to be a bit on the costly size, so with that budget you may want to go used. Also most (all 'analog' models) are not polyphonic and really want to hear a strong, clean single note for tracking. They also tend to be synth-toned, versus clean. Probably not a problem with the flute (that will be really cool, btw), but maybe more problematic with mandolin.

If you could swing $150, a used Elecro Harmonix Micro POG would give you a nice clean, good-tracking polyphonic box with an up and down octave to blend. The Boss OC-2 (monophonic) and OC-3 (polyphonic) are solid 'standards' and can be had for less than $100.

Check the talkbass.com and thegearpage.net classifieds for decent deals.

Edit: how funny, nearly the same response posted as I typed!

Edit #2: Here's an $80 OC-3: http://www.talkbass.com/threads/peda...#post-18394178
    Blow on, man.

I use octave voices with the harmonizer. Black water (Doobies) is one song I use a lower octave. Blue on black I use an octave above on the chorus.

I have 2 sitting here as I just bought the newest version
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

double post oops
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1