Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best mandolin stand for the money

Default Best mandolin stand for the money

I'm sure this has been discussed at some point, but I didn't see anything recent in a quick search. I'm thinking about upgrading my mandolin stand if I can find a suitable one that doesn't cost a fortune. What is the best stand for the money that an F-style will fit snugly on? I don't need it to be portable, just sturdy and with a low center of gravity.

My current one is a standard cheap tripod that was meant for a guitar but that I cut down to fit a mandolin. And yes, I'm aware of the risks of leaving a mandolin out of the case, but I assume those risks, at least until I have children who are mobile.

Thanks.

Default Re: Best mandolin stand for the money

Konig and Meyer, good stands not very expensive.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

3. The following members say thank you to Dave Hanson for this post:

Iīd also say K&M. This is my favorite stand: http://produkte.k-m.de/en/product?info=1235
    This can take either Mandolin or Banjo or Guitar without further adjustment. So I always take only this one to the session.
    Itīs not expensive and itīs made in Germany, whereas the more complicated ones are made in China, if that makes a difference for you.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Wolf For This Useful Post:

I seem to have SAS (Stand Acquisition Syndrome). I have bought about every kind of stand on the market. I play out every week and our group is in a cramped situation with people moving around, so I am always worried about my stands getting knocked over. I had a mandolin teacher once whose F-style headstock was broken off, on two different occasions, by someone knocking it off the stand on to a hard floor. I own two of the K&Ms, a violin/mandolin/uke model and the full-size model. Both are great, but I wouldn't recommend them for your situation.

In a situation where people might knock into the stand, I have come to not trust stands that don't support the head stock. For a situation like that, I would actually prefer a cut-down guitar stand like you have, which I used to use also back in the day. Somewhat better is a Meisel violin/uke stand, which they no longer make, but can be found on EBay.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3115417...chn=ps&lpid=82

My favorite for security, though, are the Hercules stands. I have their double guitar stand, that accommodates both my mandolin and OM, linked below:
    http://www.herculesstands.com/guitars/GS422B.html
    I like that the tripod is really substantial and the hangars "grip" the headstock. It would be hard to knock over or knock the instruments out of it. For single mandolin, I would look at the violin/viola model:
    http://www.herculesstands.com/string/DS571BB.html
    Or one of the single guitar models, if it will adjust down to accommodate a mandolin.
    http://www.herculesstands.com/guitars/GS414B.html
    Another thought I recommend is to get a wall hanger:
    http://www.herculesstands.com/guitars/GSP38WB.html

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John Flynn View Post
    Or one of the single guitar models, if it will adjust down to accommodate a mandolin.
    http://www.herculesstands.com/guitars/GS414B.html
    l]
    I have two of these for guitars and they adjust down to mandolin very nice. I like the resting arm option tho - so the mandolin/guitar can't swing back and bump the metal standhttp://www.herculesstands.com/guitars/GS412B.html
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GS412BMain.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	143718

I have a Hercules also and use it for Bass,Guitar and Mandolin.
    Weber Bitteroot Custom
    Eastman 905D 2 point
    Scott Cao 850
    Taylor NS34CE
    "You have to go out on a limb, that is where the fruit is"

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

This is a violin / mandolin stand . It is well made with solid materials and folds to a "packable" size and shape. R/

http://gregboyd.com/images/accessory...olaStand_1.jpg
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UsuallyPickin For This Useful Post:

I am also a fan of the K&M stand. First saw them at Bernunzios in Rochester, bought one and now have a handful around the house for when I want to put an instrument down and avoid the dreaded "couch crush."
    Make America Grateful Again!

2013 Collings MF, 2017 Northfield NF2S, 2019 Northfield Big Mon F
    1968 Martin D12-20, 2008 Martin HD28, 2022 Martin CEO 7
    1978 Ibanez Artist "Flying Eagle" Masterclone Banjo

12. The following members say thank you to Russ Donahue for this post:

I have Hercules and Ultimate stands. In my experience, the best bet is an Ultimate GS100 cut down about 4.5 inches. Still gets tall enough for guitar if needed, but not bass. Super sturdy for mandolin, plus it folds and transports easily when needed.
    Blow on, man.

Hercules violin stand works well for mandolins.

http://www.amazon.com/Hercules-DS571...s+violin+stand

I also like the Hurcules stand for mandolin

My favorite is the Ingles violin stand. I don't raise the bow hook.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by UsuallyPickin View Post
    This is a violin / mandolin stand . It is well made with solid materials and folds to a "packable" size and shape. R/

http://gregboyd.com/images/accessory...olaStand_1.jpg
    That is the Ingles stand.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

--M. Stillion

--J. Garber

If you want something pretty or elaborate, there are plenty of options, but if you want something tough and road-worthy that folds up compactly, it's tough to beat the Hamilton. I bought four of them 35 years ago when I was gigging full-time and I've still got 'em: they work great.

Mind you, one stand's rubber sleeve on the neck fork began to lose some chunks of rubber after the first 20 years, but I twisted it around so there was still good padding for the neck and it's all good.

Thanks to everyone for the replies and links. I'm liking the looks and reviews on the Hercules and the Ingles stands. Going to give it more thought before I do anything. Still might just try building one myself.

All of the stands mentioned above will work well. I've got one of the a K&M models that I use for the mando occasionally and like it fine, but the stands I've primarily used at gigs for the past several decades is the Hamilton KB38 that jmagill mentioned. They're built solid --I use them for guitar, banjo and mandolin, and I've never had to replace one.

I have both the Hercules and the Ingles prefer the Hurcules. The Ingles stand is a fine but it is very close to the floor and very easy to kick. Don't ask how I know this, it was a painful experience.
    Weber Bitteroot Custom
    Eastman 905D 2 point
    Scott Cao 850
    Taylor NS34CE
    "You have to go out on a limb, that is where the fruit is"

Registered Plec Offender Mickey King's Avatar

I love my Eddie Finn mando stand. The only problem is the foam padding at the top wears out quickly and has to be replaced with standard pile insulation available at hardware stores.
    Mickey

Skip Kelley-Kentucky F-5
    Northfield F5S
    Collings MT

I have the Ingles stand, which I like a lot for my flatback, but not so much for the domra I'm borrowing (which is kinda like a bowl back mandolin). The body of the domra is too big to fit inside the curved prongs at the bottom of the stand. I'd like to find something like the Ingles (sturdy and with something that secures the neck), but which allows the bowl to fit inside the prongs.

The Hercules seems high to me. With the weight high like that, wouldn't it be easy to knock over? bb

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

I just picked up a Hamilton Grabbit for $12. Totally thrilled with it, and will likely grab another one soon for the study. I checked and saw that online they run less than $15. Totally adjustable height; set low Stealie sports a 14" scale and is comfortably secured at the right height. 3 pieces that needed no tools for easy assembly; nice wide base to the legs; strong and secure frame; great locking feature.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grabbit guitar stand.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	143748
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

26. The following members say thank you to Dave Greenspoon for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by djeffcoat View Post
    Hercules violin stand works well for mandolins.

http://www.amazon.com/Hercules-DS571...s+violin+stand
    I have the Hercules violin stand, and it it * almost * perfect. Very stable, folds small, and comes with a carry bag. However, I have found that the spacing for the locking hanger mechanism is ever-so-slightly too narrow. This makes it a two-handed operation requiring great care to operate, and as a result I never use it. I keep meaning to sell it, either here or locally. I'm sure a fiddler would be absolutely thrilled with it. But it's a no-go for mandolin.
    Think globally, bike locally.

I've always been suspicious of stands upon which you "place" an instrument as a sideways swipe can knock them off. Consequently, I prefer the Hercules stands from which you "hang" an instrument and the weight of the instrument locks it on.

I have one of their tripple stands for use on stage and find that this can be adjusted to take a mandolin, an octave and a drednaught guitar at the same time.

29. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by eadg145 View Post
    I have the Hercules violin stand, and it it * almost * perfect. Very stable, folds small, and comes with a carry bag. However, I have found that the spacing for the locking hanger mechanism is ever-so-slightly too narrow. This makes it a two-handed operation requiring great care to operate, and as a result I never use it. I keep meaning to sell it, either here or locally. I'm sure a fiddler would be absolutely thrilled with it. But it's a no-go for mandolin.

This has been my experience with the Hercules violin stand. I've gotten to the point where I just don't trust stands anyway. If I'm not holding the mandolin, it's just as fast for me to stick it back in the case as it is to mess with a stand.
    Mitch Russell

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    My favorite is the Ingles violin stand. I don't raise the bow hook.
    I use the Ingles stand too. The bow hook is useful for looping the strap over so it doesn't lay on the floor.

This stand does everything I need a stand to do. It holds the instrument securely while I'm not playing it, and is not at risk of tipping over. It keeps it low to the floor for stability. It will hold any of my mandolins or mandolas or fiddles and is easily folded up to store out of the way if I don't need it.