Thread: Straight Up Strings

Default Straight Up Strings

Anyone using Straight Up Strings? Just wondering how they play and sound?

Steve

Shredded Cheese Authority Emmett Marshall's Avatar

Default Re: Straight Up Strings

I am using them right now on my Gibson. Before that, I put them on my Kentucky. These are good strings (not junk), and I do like the sound, but it hasn't been anything to "ooooh & ahhhh" about. I'm rating them as "okay" soundwise. I also appreciate the logic that Roger put into designing them. I just had to give them a try since they don't break the bank in terms of cost. I haven't recorded with them and compared to my other strings. When I get my new Zoom recorder figured out, I'd like to try that and compare some other brands/sizes also. They don't break easy - which is also good. I'm thinking that the sound is going to be more influenced by the specific instrument - so I can't say how they would sound for someone else. I can't think of any reason to not try them out though.
    Weber F5 Bitteroot Octave - "...romantic and very complicated."
    My instruments professionally maintained by...RSW
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7UmUX68KtE

I just switched back to J74's. I prefer good old d'addarios.

I liked the mediums, I think on my Ellis.

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by Emmett Marshall View Post
    I also appreciate the logic that Roger put into designing them.
    There's no real logic behind his reasoning it's flawed. Few scientists already commented on that in previous threads.
    BUT even though there is flawed reasoning, ANY set of strings that is close to typical will find it's users, personal tastes and instruments vary wildly and some instruments will benefit fron different gauges of strings.
    In violin world, mixing strings from very different sets seems to be the norm, professionals often use each string from different set or manufacturer to get THE best personal set for their personal instrument.
    Adrian

I had them on my Weber Yellowstone and they sounded real nice, but not much volume. The tone was very even across all the strings, but again no volume. I went back to the GHS A270's.

I bought one set and kept them on for a couple of weeks. I too switched back to the j74s.

I tried them on my 1999 Flatiron Festival. I had been using J75s for years. I ended up liking the Straight Up mediums a bit better. They sound really good on my mandolin. Plenty of volume too.
    Steve

"They're approaching. That's very forward of them."

I have been using them on my Weber. I like them, seem to last a long time. Just bought couple more sets.
    Thanks
    Gary

Gibson F5L
    Weber Gallatin

Jeez, I forgot all about these strings after I put them on back in September I think. They are still sounding good on my Weber Yellowstone F. Guess I don't know from nuttin' but they sound fine to me. They have been played daily and gigged a quite a lot.

I've tended to rotate mando strings in a sort of 'grass is always greener' quest. I had on set of the SUS mediums a while back, and liked them. There wasn't anything mind-blowingly unique about them, but I think that's what I appreciate about them: just good strings, no gimmick (except the specially engineered torque/tensions I guess). Maybe a bit softer tone than the more standard j74 sound. Very playable and long lasting.

I have a set of SUS heavy on my guitar, and they just don't want to come off. I may use SUS as my standard for both mandolin and guitar.