Thread: Cumberland bridge vs StewMac

Default Cumberland bridge vs StewMac

I have built 1 mandolin and I'm working on #2. I used a StewMac bridge($34) on the first and another is on back order for the second. I've noticed a lot of noted builders use the Cumberland bridge($55). Can you actually hear the difference? Does the Cumberland really improve the tone, or is it something else that makes it a better choice? Thanks, Danny Gray

Default Re: Cumberland bridge vs StewMac

I have used the StewMac bridges for a long time. I think they changed them in the last few years? The biggest problem I have with the StewMac bridges is the threaded post and knurled thumbwheel have very sloppy threads. The thumbwheels can tilt forward with the string pressure on the bridge. At first I thought the post was bent, but they are straight. I took the bridge off and noticed I can wiggle the thumbwheels on the shaft back and forth to about 30 degrees. I bought 3 bridges and they all do this.
    Frustrated, I ordered a Cumberland and installed it. I've noticed no difference in sound between the two, but the Cumberland does not tilt forward, the thumbwheels are nice and tight on the threads.
    As long as the bridges are seated well, there is very minimal difference in sound, both are made with high quality ebony. However, I will only use the Cumberland from now on.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sliebers For This Useful Post:

I have noticed a significant difference each time I replaced a bridge with a CA bridge. The wound strings have a better defined sound and the trebles are stronger, particularly up the neck. I tried a Randy Wood to save $15 and had the same tilting phenomena. The Cumberland Acoustics bridges just sound better to my ears. They're worth the expense on a decent mandolin.

5. The following members say thank you to Rob Roy for this post:

gtani7 

I have a CA bridge on my Kentucky 855 now. The original bridge (ebony) was good but I monkeyed around with it to the point I needed to replace it. First, for practice, I bought $5 bridge (rosewood) off Amazon. I fitted that but, as was mentioned above, the bridge tilted at the wheels when under pressure. I then bought the CA and fit it. Physically, the difference in quality was significant. The CA bridge was clearly made to a much higher standard. In my case, I thought the treble strings were much better sounding, less shrill than the other bridges. On the lower strings I didn't notice much difference but my hearing is a far cry from what it was 30 or 40 years ago.

If I understand what y'all are saying there would have to be a problem with the actual threads, not post sloppy in base of bridge. I have never rub into that with a competitive priced ( read cheep) bridge. Could it be a mismatch of threads, post inch, and wheel metric? Or is someones tap and die worn so much that the threads don't perfectly match? I've had the post move in the base and the hole in the saddle too big that lets the saddle lean but never a problem with threads.

In the three bridges I bought recently from StewMac, the threads were the problem. Loose. it's bad enough that I won't buy any more. The holes in the saddle are a little larger than necessary to make a tight fit. The older bridges never had these problems, so something changed and the quality suffered. Cumberlands are worth the extra money to me.

9. The following members say thank you to sliebers for this post:

I replaced the original bridge on my The Loar LM 600 with a Cumberland Acoustics bridge. I'll agree they are very high quality and much more robustly built than most. And I could definitely hear an improvement in tone, more punchy, more clear and more volume. It was a lot of bang for my buck on this instrument.

11. The following members say thank you to PaulVA for this post:

I recently acquired a 2004 Prucha A-style Deluxe mandolin. At SPBGMA, I had Steve and crew do a compete setup, fret dressing, and fit it with a new CA bridge. I'm not sure how long it took, but the next day, the mandolin was returned to me in phenomenal condition. Over the next 48 hours of heavy jamming, I had 3 fellows try to buy it from me...enough said about Cumberland Acoustic's work and bridges!!

13. The following members say thank you to Beardog for this post:

I recently received my first CA bridge for a current build and, comparing it to my previous StewMac and LMI bridges, it has a much tighter fit on the posts...no slop like the others. I can't yet say if it sounds better, and doubt I will ever know w/o side-by-side testing. I will say that the CA bridge "finish" is rough. I will need to do some filing/sanding/polishing to match the finish of the other vendor's bridges.