Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: didn't know Vince Gill played mandolin

Default Re: didn't know Vince Gill played mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by dschonbrun View Post

I'm not about to say anything negative about the man... I'm not a world class musician. If the Ron McMillan is... hey, you're entitled.
    Never mind. I see your comments are evolving.

Quote Originally Posted by FLATROCK HILL View Post
    I'm curious. Just what is it that the OP said to give you that impression?
    Not the OP... the response directly to the OP's post.

Came across this in the stack - Eddie Shelton Expedition, 1976

"Perhaps Eddie's crowning achievement was a solo album recorded in 1976. It was recorded in a small studio in Denison, Texas with help from Brad Davis on guitar, Dave Ferguson on fiddle, Bobby Clark on mandolin, and Vince Gill on Dobro. Although intended solely for local distribution, Eddie contracted with promoter Slim Richey who managed to distribute the album worldwide."

Alan, it amazes me how far back we can now dig in "the stacks" with modern technology!
    Cool information, thanks. Never knew Vince played dobro!
    T
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

I saw Vince on stage at the Ryman with Earl Scruggs a few years ago. Nothing but bluegrass for about 3 hours. He tore the mandolin up all night long. I haven't read the entire thread, just the OP. However, like Ricky Scaggs and Marty Stuart, Vince is at home on any instrument that he picks up, and is the consummate "musician's musician". I suspect that he could do Beethoven, Jazz, or Elvis just as well as he can do bluegrass and/or country music.....

Ha. Reading those album notes reminds me of 'The Larkin Terrace Vocal Band' credit from when Ricky, Flux, etc lived in Lexington.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    Alan, it amazes me how far back we can now dig in "the stacks" with modern technology!
    Cool information, thanks. Never knew Vince played dobro!
    T
    Vince played dobro on the video I posted here last week for the tune "Frodo's Journey " by The Bluegrass Alliance 1975. Check it out.

...and I bet he could be a decent Elvis Impersonator, too.

I obviously don't check in enough here...you all are actually debating Vince Gill's musicianship? Really?

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chris Browne For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Browne View Post
    I obviously don't check in enough here...you all are actually debating Vince Gill's musicianship? Really?
    no debate--just one dissenting opinion!
    Russ Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Browne View Post
    I decided to reread the entire thread to see if indeed there was any "debating Vince Gill's musicianship". There is no debate.

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    He plays mandolin a lot better than I can sing
    And talk about agreement... Judging by the 'Thanks', it certainly looks like a lot of us have very little faith in almeriastrings' singing ability!

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FLATROCK HILL View Post
    Judging by the 'Thanks', it certainly looks like a lot of us have very little faith in almeriastrings' singing ability!
    Even though people are often their own worst critics, I'm willing to take him at his word. Due to his overwhelming experience in this matter, of course. Be that as it may, his assessment could be taken more as an appreciation of Vince Gill's expertise on the mandolin. That's my positive take on this.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to journeybear For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    ... Be that as it may, his assessment could be taken more as an appreciation of Vince Gill's expertise on the mandolin.
    Thank you for clarifying that! I wouldn't have thought it needed clarification but as we all know, sometimes the words we say in print don't convey the same intent that they might have, had they been spoken.

I found Almeriastrings' post to be both clever and humorous. The 'Thanks' underneath it, while obviously put there in recognition of that humorous wit, struck me as somewhat ironic, also in a humorous way.

I feel a bit silly having to explain all this, but if it needs 'splainin', it's obvious that I should have remained silent in my own corner.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

No worries! Obviously, I was obviously stating the obvious, saying aloud what was probably not necessary to say. It was nothing, really. Just looking at the other side of the same coin, so to speak. This thread has been pretty Seinfeldian, anyway, much about nothing. Though some have said they've learned a few things, such as his playing the dobro, which I didn't know either. Vince Gill is talented - who knew!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

17. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    This thread has been pretty Seinfeldian, anyway, much about nothing.
    True that, I think it took wing mainly because of post #2; I think our buddy there was just in a bad mood that day and knew little about Vinny when he posted
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

JB, you just like words! Like me, sometimes we both take the long road to get to the pint! You write pretty clearly most of the time, I'm only confused now and then. As time progresses, it seems to be somewhat more often.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Among the reasons to chuckle at this video: 1. He doesn't remember the lyrics of this big hit. 2. His daughter does know them and can harmonize with his lead. 3. He says, "You know how big a hit this would have been with mandolin?"

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MK in NC For This Useful Post:

One of my favorite recordings with Vince Gill is Here Today:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_T...Grisman_album)
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

The very first time I saw Vince Gill was in Glen Rock, Pennsylvania in September of 1977. It was a two day Bluegrass Festival called Goin' Fishin'. It was put on by a bar down in Baltimore, Maryland called No Fish Today. The place it was held was called Kelly Farms. Anyway, that day Vince was the mandolin player and lead singer for Byron Berline and Sundance. So until Vince hit it big in Country Western Music the only instrument I knew he played was the mandolin.
    On a side note. I believe Glen Rock, PA, where the festival was held was also the town where Ronnie and Robbie McCoury were raised in for a time? It was one heck of a Festival. They had Doc and Merle Watson. David Bromberg. Asleep at the Wheel. John Hartford. Vassar Clements. The Rowan Brothers. Country Gazette. Red, White and Blue Grass. Plus the aforementioned Byron Berline and Sundance. They probably had some others that I have since forgotten. But, as far as I knew, up until that time, Vince Gill was a mandolin player.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

His vocals and guitar work for the last 4 years have given the Eagles a new lease on life since Glenn Frey’s passing. A really gifted artist and best of all so humble about his abilities.

Here’s a quick clip...a few 335’s anyone?
    Last edited by mtucker; May-03-2020 at 6:31pm.