Thread: Case for a Gibson H1 Mandola

Default Case for a Gibson H1 Mandola

Hi, I've just acquired a Gibson H1 Mandola, 1914 in beautiful condition but without a case. Can anyone recommend a suitable one or even have one for sale?
    Last edited by Chrispbarber; Feb-10-2016 at 6:11am.

Default Re: Case for a Gibson H1 Mandola

Well, depends on your budget, of course, but I was lucky enough to score a 1921 H2 a little over a year ago that came in a custom-refitted Hoffee mandolin case (for $1877 -- I figure that the value of the case was pretty much half of the total price).

So, at least, now you have an example of a crème de la crème to work down from.

I know of two options, both of which I've been considering myself for a modern case to carry my old H4.

Siminoff makes an oblong case for H4/H5 style mandolas. These are custom-order cases with an 8-week lead time. But being custom-order, I'm assuming they could make it without the cutouts for scrolls and points, so it would fit an H1 body shape more snugly.

Calton lists a mandola case that will fit H1 to H4 (short neck) mandolas.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispbarber View Post
    Hi, I've just acquired a Gibson H1 Mandola, 1914 in beautiful condition but without a case. Can anyone recommend a suitable one or even have one for sale?
    I was lucky enough to buy a 1918 H1 a few years back and finally (after about 18months) found this. Fits like a glove. https://www.thomann.de/gb/hora_mandola_koffer.htm