Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Classified etiquette

Default Re: Classified etiquette

Quote Originally Posted by jasona View Post
    Now you are talking techniques of haggling.

That bit from Monty Python's Holy Grail comes to mind.
    LOL, I hadn't seen that before. Just perfect for this thread... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u75XQdTxZRc
    (Sorry, my tablet won't let me imbed it).

Blog Entries

What some refer to as low balling I would think of as similar to underwriting the sale.
    If no one else comes in with a better offer, then there's a buyer out there if the cash is needed more than the instrument.
    If not then then there's always the option to hang on and relist later.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Whether you are buying or selling, you need to know the market for your product. Educate yourself before making an offer or listing an item.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

4. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

I'm not offended when someone offers me a lower bid on something I'm selling, nor am I offended when my lower offer is rejected by the seller. Heck, I'd haggle over the price of a gallon of milk at the grocery store if I thought it would do any good. But, as someone said earlier, if the seller says "firm" then I won't make a lower offer.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
    LOL, I hadn't seen that before. Just perfect for this thread... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u75XQdTxZRc
    (Sorry, my tablet won't let me imbed it).
    hahaha yeah. Also oops, Life of Brian.
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

Well, my offer got rejected, but I told them let me know if they change their mind. My offer was about 20% below the asking price, so I didn't consider it low-balling, but about fair. I agree, when I sell something, I have what I would like to get in mind, and what I NEED to get in mind, and if I get an offer, I try to "split he difference" so we both win.

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    Whether you are buying or selling, you need to know the market for your product. Educate yourself before making an offer or listing an item.
    The best reply to the OP, IMHO. Ridiculous offers made to sellers is a waste of everyone's time.
    Hope you find an affordable mandolin you'll enjoy, Lady.
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

9. The following members say thank you to Bill Clements for this post:

Hang in there, 20% below what they're asking is not unreasonable. Although it is more likely to be successful if the seller is a private individual and not a business, also more likely if the instrument is used. Hang in there, and you will find the deal that you're looking for. Just be willing to wait, it's worth the wait.

Not to hijack the thread, but, you mentioned that you were looking at a gallatin. Another instrument that is a lower price but in my opinion and easily comparable instrument would be a Morris mandolin. Great guy, great instruments, and a great value. You don't believe me do a search for some past threads on Morris mandolins.

12. The following members say thank you to jazzjune18 for this post:

good thread...

Negotiations are negotiations. I have made very low offers and been successful.

In most negotiations, there is give and take. Always.

When I read an ad, no lowballs,firm, etc what I really read, fair nor not, is "my ego is tied up in this sale", not arms length, but perhaps a reluctance to sell. Or, no need to sell. Either way, it's generally not good for the buyer.

Whether my thoughts are rational or not, my point is that if someone is so reluctant to talk, so put out to hear an offer, except on their terms, I won't bother. Just like unsolicited calls, there is no requirement to answer or respond.

Typically sellers feel their stuff is gold, buyers think the opposite. I often consider...it's not new, there's no guarantee, there is sometimes a risk , not to mention puffed up condition descriptions. While I do not lowball, I have made offers which I think are right on the bottom of market.

I bought a mint 02 Byrdland in blonde from GC for 4K out the door. This was at least 2500 below market, BUT, it was month end, and, few want arch tops, including GC apparently. No one was insulted, because , it was inventory, not their "baby". The price was what I wanted to pay for this oddball, thin line, short scaled arch top.

As an example , I am often amazed what folks seek for a used Ellis. Typically 1k under list. So, for 10% discount, you have no warranty, and no relationship with the builder. Point is is this a 'value'? More so from a private seller versus a shop, who might well stand behind the used instrument in the event of an issue.

Things have really changed since I joined here (in 2001). This year, after 15 years of buying and selling through the classifieds, I had my first "no ship seller". I agreed to buy item, and paid that day. Then the "I have to go out of town and will ship later this week" excuses started. That was Jan 4th. The seller stopped responding to my emails several weeks (and many excuses) later. Paypal just returned my monies.

Unless I personally know the seller, I am off purchasing from the Classifieds for now. I leave my selling to the professionals. As Steve says, they don't care if you make lowball offers. But if you are going to make an offer, try and put some thought into it.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

16. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

An item being sold is only worth what someone else is willing to give you for it in that particular moment.

If the dreaded "low ball offer" is the only one you get, guess what?
    willi

18. The following members say thank you to mandowilli for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandowilli View Post
    An item being sold is only worth what someone else is willing to give you for it in that particular moment.

If the dreaded "low ball offer" is the only one you get, guess what?
    There is some truth to this. On any given day, there may be no offers at all, or perhaps one that this lower than a seller hopes to get. Partly the fault of a poor ecomony, hobbies get pushed aside to pay bills and buy food. In the early days of eBay, you could list a vintage Stratocaster worth $25K with a starting bid of 99 cents and at the end of the auction it would be up to $25K......(proof of a sound investment in a good economy) Not so these days. People know that even a nice clean item may fall far short of the "going rate" on a true auction. That's why there are so many Buy It Now listings, some with the Make Offer option. And, I can't blame someone for not wanting to take a loss, unless there is an immediate need to liquidate.
    Last edited by Jeff Mando; Feb-21-2016 at 2:31pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Using eBay as an example, I often list an instrument with the "Best Offer" option. You would be surprised how many people think offering 25 percent of my asking price is reasonable......I guess because it is the internet and somewhat anonymous. I don't think those same people would go into a music store an offer 25 percent face to face with the store owner, IMHO. Of course, on eBay you also get people who like to offer $1 or $5, just to be "cute" I guess.......and to remain in good standing with eBay, I am prevented from telling them just how "cute" I actually think they are behaving..........
    This is why, I love a good old fashioned auction, which might be 10% of the sales on EBay today. My "best offer" is the top bid I am willing to make. If the instrument (or whatever) gets away, so be it. I was unwilling to bid higher. In the case of me being the seller, the same applies. Market conditions will decide what I get for the equipment. The "best offer" I get is the highest bid someone is willing to make.
    I seldom buy or sell anything outside of an auction.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

If the bid opens at $1 there are times I will open the bidding, usually with a higher bid, but ebay will only show the dollar. It's not to be cute, it only shows the dollar, but even if I only bid $1 it gets things started. I have watched too many times no bidding at all then someone gets the auction for the opening bid at the last second. Sometimes that is me. Getting the biding going is the whole point and usually it is better for it. I also have talked to a store owner about the price of a mandolin recently and he volunteered to lower nearly 20%, so I bought the instrument. Not haggling, just pointing out prices and asking what can you do. The market is soft and they would like to sell at the higher amount but more than that they want to sell, like we all do when the time comes.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    If the bid opens at $1 there are times I will open the bidding, usually with a higher bid, but ebay will only show the dollar. It's not to be cute, it only shows the dollar, but even if I only bid $1 it gets things started. I have watched too many times no bidding at all then someone gets the auction for the opening bid at the last second. Sometimes that is me. Getting the biding going is the whole point and usually it is better for it. I also have talked to a store owner about the price of a mandolin recently and he volunteered to lower nearly 20%, so I bought the instrument. Not haggling, just pointing out prices and asking what can you do. The market is soft and they would like to sell at the higher amount but more than that they want to sell, like we all do when the time comes.
    Most of the smart store owners I know like to keep inventory moving out the door.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar

I've wondered about this for a while. Interesting thread.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    Things have really changed since I joined here (in 2001). This year, after 15 years of buying and selling through the classifieds, I had my first "no ship seller". I agreed to buy item, and paid that day. Then the "I have to go out of town and will ship later this week" excuses started. That was Jan 4th. The seller stopped responding to my emails several weeks (and many excuses) later. Paypal just returned my monies.

Unless I personally know the seller, I am off purchasing from the Classifieds for now. I leave my selling to the professionals. As Steve says, they don't care if you make lowball offers. But if you are going to make an offer, try and put some thought into it.
    Wow that's bad news! Good thing that you used Pay Pal!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    Wow that's bad news! Good thing that you used Pay Pal!
    Do you think he meant newspaper or Mandolin Cafe classifieds?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry Cadenhead View Post
    Do you think he meant newspaper or Mandolin Cafe classifieds?
    Guess you'd have to ask him?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

27. The following members say thank you to Bernie Daniel for this post:

When I'm a seller, I find it tough sometimes to arrive at a good selling price that will get interest and offers. It doesn't matter how low one goes, a buyer is going to want to offer even less. When I have sold at asking price, I figure I priced it just right.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

29. The following members say thank you to jim simpson for this post:

I'm thinking if I end up being unhappy with the upgrade I hope to find soon, a buyer might be leary of me, as an unknown, listing in the MC classifieds.

I'm thinking if I end up being unhappy with the upgrade I hope to find soon, a buyer might be leary of me, as an unknown, listing in the MC classifieds.
    I feel like you get a certain level of respectability just by selling here, vs. on reverb or ebay or something like that.

32. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Certainly not if your name is recognizable from the fora, particularly if you have an interesting mandolin listed at an attractive price.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

34. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post: