Thread: R.I.P. Paul Kantner

Default R.I.P. Paul Kantner

I just learned that he passed a few days ago, at age 74. Did not get the press of other recently-deceased musicians. Saddened to see this, as he played a large role in my formative music learning. He was as large a part of The Jefferson Airplane as any member. He also played the banjo (learned it via the Pete Seeger book) and there is one tune on Blows Against The Empire - The Baby Tree - where he sounds real nice with it.

...they're dropping like flies...

Default Re: R.I.P. Paul Kantner

It should be noted that Signe Anderson, the first female singer in the Airplane died the same day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signe_Toly_Anderson
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Same day, same age... at least Jorma Kaukonen is still plying his trade. He rocked McCabes, Santa Monica, over the weekend...

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eddie Sheehy For This Useful Post:

The Airplane was my favorite band back in the day, and I still play a Rickenbacker 12-string because of PK...

Kantner hung out at the Cafe Trieste in SF, and it was common to see him in his chair, smokin' the Camels...
    My friend snapped this shot the day he died...
    Sigh...

Last edited by Spruce; Feb-02-2016 at 7:02pm.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Spruce For This Useful Post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Thanks for posting that. No mandolin content in Jefferson Airplane as far as I know (though Barry Mitterhoff has been playing with Hot Tuna for years), but JA affected a lot of people in a lot of ways. I haven't been to the Café much lately, bit I did write a piece concerning my encounter with Paul Kantner and posted it on facebook. Unless I'm forgetting someone, he was the last surviving musical icon from the 60s with whom I've had any substantial interaction, so I'm taking it a little hard. I'd also hoped our path would cross again so I could tell him the following story - not that he'd have remembered, but I imagined he would have found it amusing. I hope you do.

+ x + x + x + x + x + x + x + x + x + x + x + x + x + x + x + x + x + x + x + x + x + x + x + x +

I am greatly saddened by the death of Paul Kantner. He was probably my favorite member of my favorite band from the San Francisco psychedelic scene. I saw them and Grateful Dead play a few concert in an open-air plaza at Montreal Expo in August 1967 – my second rock concert (the first being The Byrds in 1965 on the “Turn! Turn! Turn!” tour) and a transformative experience. I didn’t get into The Dead until later, after they became the standard bearer for that scene, having outlasted the rest of those bands. But Jefferson Airplane suited me, with their disparate, nearly chaotic brilliance, and some of my favorite songs were written by Kantner. He was the main songwriter on my favorite album of theirs, “After Bathing At Baxter’s,” and his delightfully discordant mishmash of two songs, "Won't You Try / Saturday Afternoon," is one of my all-time favorites Jefferson Airplane songs, and probably plays in mind more than any other song in their catalogue. If I may paraphrase something from Joni Mitchell: Love is touching souls, and surely he touched mine.

This is a hell of a way to spend Throw Back Thursday. I wish we could truly throw it back, turn back the hands of time and bring Paul Kantner back. The best I can do is tell this story, which goes way back to another era. This picture shows what I looked like at the time - and still do, if you look closely enough.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	College ID Photo.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	125.9 KB 
ID:	143324

By some odd meanderings of fate I got to meet him once. It was the fall of 1970 and I was just out of high school. For reasons and through methods unimportant to delve into at this time I was living in a small town in Marin County, called Bolinas. It was an out-of-the-way village, populated by fishermen and similar working class people, until hippies and artsy people – poets, artists, musicians - started moving in, getting out of the city to a more natural environment. It was a pleasant drive along the coast or over part of Mt. Tamalpais to get there. The downtown area was just a few streets of mostly residences, and a road led up through eucalyptus groves to a mesa area. I was couch-surfing between a poet friend named Bill who lived downtown and another who lived up on the mesa – Joanne Kyger, a beautiful spirit incarnated in a somewhat older woman, who became the inspiration for the female lead character in Richard Brautigan’s “Watermelon Sugar. (OK, I was there hoping to meet him, and though I never did, I did meet Lawrence Ferlinghetti, which was a thrill for this budding poet.)

My downtown friend, Bill, hosted weekly poetry readings. Everybody was encouraged to participate, in any way they wanted. Sometimes there would be some music at the end, after people were done reading. Sometimes I summoned up the courage to share my poetry or jam a bit. I’d been playing just a bit more than two years and was not very good yet, by my reckoning, but if properly encouraged by various inebriants or other participants, I might join in. That wasn’t the main thrust of these gatherings, though – they were verbal, whether literary or social, fueled by wine and sometimes weed.

One evening as things were winding down, readings were done and people were drinking and chatting – a few people came by, looking to register people to vote. There was an election coming up for the school board president, and a teacher was running against a policeman, a pretty clear-cut case of liberal versus conservative, prompting these people to make an effort to get liberals involved. A couple people signed up, and someone asked, “Have Paul and Gracie registered?” I soon found out they meant Paul Kantner and Grace Slick from the recently disbanded Jefferson Airplane, who it turned out were renting a house at the end of the street right by the water. Someone said they had not, someone suggested they head down there, and I asked if I could come along. So off we went.

Imagine how astonishing yet utterly natural it was for a knock on a door to lead to it being opened by one of the great rock icons of the psychedelic era. He wasn’t the least bit fazed by strangers showing up unannounced, and once he learned the reason for the visit, he welcomed us in. We found ourselves in the bedroom, and to the left was an enormous open room, probably forty or fifty feet long and twenty feet wide, with microphones set up all around it and a lot of guitars and other instruments scattered about. Grace Slick was sitting on the far side of the king-size bed. Paul was well-known for being politically minded, and invited us to sit while we discussed this small-town issue with the same interest he might have devoted to national or international matters. Grace, however, was about seven months pregnant with the child they were reportedly planning to name “god” (they would relent, naming her “China”), and was a bit irritated because she wanted to take a shower but there was no hot water, so stayed out of the socializing. Paul was a gracious host, and once politics had run its course as a topic, moved on to other subjects of conversation.

After a while he said, “Anyone want to smoke some Michoacan?” He rolled a couple of joints and sent them around. Everyone (except Grace) was having a good time, chatting about all sorts of things. A little while later Paul asked, “Anyone want to do some cocaine?” He produced three small glass vials – one organic, two synthetic, which he said were 65% an 100%. He wouldn’t share the 100%, saying it would “rip your nose out.” But he let anyone who wanted help themselves to the other two. I hadn’t seen any cocaine in a year or more, so I had a field day with this opportunity. My memories after this point are a little hazy, understandably. I do recall heading up the road to the mesa to Joanne’s house, and somewhere along the way I happened to look up through a gap in the trees and saw a striking constellation. I lay down in the middle of the road and drew a picture of it so I could find out which it was later. I was buzzed enough that I gave each star its distinct personality. It turned out this was Orion, one of the most recognizable constellations. I have no idea why it hadn’t made an impression on me before this, but it certainly did then.

I never saw Paul again. I went by once or twice, but no one answered. I don’t know what I would have done had he done so. My skills as a musician were still undeveloped, and though I had written a few songs, some of them pretty good, I don’t know how well I might have been able to present them to someone whose musical prowess humbled me. I began spending more time with friends in Oakland, and eventually went on a few hitchhiking adventures, and didn’t get back to Bolinas for a couple of years. Of course, Paul and Grace were long gone. Over the years, whenever I would struggle with my musical career (an ongoing challenge) and regret (another one), it was easy to point to this occasion and chide myself for not hanging in there a bit longer to take advantage of this potential opportunity. I let myself off the hook by averring that I wasn’t ready musically, though I am also well aware that a lot of people less advanced than I, even at that point, have not let such considerations dissuade them. But had I done so, and taken that path rather than this one, then I never would have done what I’ve done, gone where I’ve gone, seen what I’ve seen, and met whom I’ve met – including you. I hope you appreciate that. And while I had long hoped to meet Paul Kantner again and tell him this story, such was never to be, and now never will.

Epilogue: When the first Jefferson Starship album, “Blows Against The Empire,” came out, I realized at least part of it had been recorded in that room. It’s really cool to know I had been that close to something so special in music history. And that line, “Have you seen the stars tonight?” has a special personal resonance for me. Also, in the liner notes to JA’s 1969 album there was a small section containing each member’s nonsensical response to the nonsensical question, “What is your favorite stripe of the flag?” Paul Kantner said, “Michoacan.” Apparently he was quite fond of either that Mexican state or its products.

Another favorite from that album is “Watch Her Ride,” about as strange, disjointed, and unromantic a love song as any ever – and wonderful all the same. This taped performance on a Perry Como TV special from 1968 is amusing. The band mimes their way through it (SOP at the time), amidst blasts of presumably psychedelic color. You can tell they know this is absurd.

But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to journeybear For This Useful Post:

Richard Brautigan’s “Watermelon Sugar"
    I believe I still have my copy.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    It should be noted that Signe Anderson, the first female singer in the Airplane died the same day.
    Strange and somehow wonderful (as far as it goes.) Reminds me of how three early presidents died on July 4th, two on the exact same day.

I rather liked the first album, "Takes Off." It was more rootsy than what they would become. Some of the songs from it are among my favorites of theirs. Grace Slick and drummer Spencer Dryden came on board on "Surrealistic Pillow," replacing Signe and Skip Spence (who joined Moby Grape - on guitar), and things really took off, with "Somebody To Love," their biggest hit, and "White Rabbit," their signature song.

Richard Brautigan’s “Watermelon Sugar."
    I believe I still have my copy.
    She's mentioned in the dedication, which appears after the body of the book. All the time I was reading it, I kept thinking how much the character was like her. After I finished I saw that, and it blew my mind.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Got to see him w/ the current Jefferson Starship up in NH two summers ago. Great show, even if he was looking a bit weak and often played while sitting on his amp. So the news, unfortunately, was not a huge surprise.

Of course, his alternating between four Ricky 12-strings had me anxious to get home and alternate between my... one!

That show was particularly respectful of the other Airplane / Starship members, especially on songs originally sung by those who were not currently with them.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    He was the main songwriter on my favorite album of theirs, “After Bathing At Baxter’s"...
    ...then you would love this....I know I did...
    The 24 minute version of "Spare Chaynge" from the Baxter's sessions...
    No PK content, but it's a good 'un...

13. The following members say thank you to Spruce for this post:

The one and only time I saw JA was at Great Adventure, in Jackson, NJ, must have been summer of 1990, because I remember holding my 4-months- old daughter in my arms and walking right down to the stage, no crowd at all. Of course, this was long after their heyday. I remember thinking "This is where they have come to." But, a gig's a gig. It was all of them + Papa John, minus Grace. It was something to see them up close.

Great Adventure, in Jackson, NJ
    When my kids were young we spent a whole lot of time there. They still do a lot of concerts there and I'm sure that gig pays a little better than some others.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Thank you for the remembrance, Journeybear. And thanks Bruce, for the Spare Chaynge link.

I think the Airplane meant a lot to those of us who are now "of a certain age."

I saw them at Woodstock, then again at the Music Hall in Boston, the following year. Opening act - John Hammond.

http://concertposterauction.com/deta...5&bigpic=0#img

And yes, I had the B.U. ID discount . . .
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

My wife and I were in NYC a few years ago (I think '07) and we stopped into the Whitney Museum to see the show Summer of Love: Art of the Psychedelic Era. I saw a small sign that the Jefferson Starship were going to be on the patio signing autographs, so we went out and there they were, sitting at a table - Paul was there along with Marty (who brought along his dad) and the rest of the band. Very few people were there so we got to talk to them and got some pictures. definitely the highlight of the day!
    Rob

Blog Entries

Intriguing offering from Rolling Stone: Paul Kantner's 10 Trippiest Lyrics

jaycat et al - I didn't go to Woodstock - $18 was a lot of money for a teenager at the time - though I did go to the Newport Jazz Festival a few weekends before and saw a lot of great rock bands, including Jethro Tull, Jeff Beck Group, and Led Zeppelin. (Missed The Mothers somehow. ) But a couple of months after Woodstock Jefferson Airplane played in the U. of New Haven field house. Tix were a whole $3! I've been unable to find anything as cool as that poster, or even a date for this. This was before everything got commemorated. I used to have the ticket stub, hopefully still do somewhere ...

I think they didn't catch on to the same extent as Grateful Dead because they were more challenging, musically and lyrically. They were harder-edged, often politically strident, and just their overall sound tended to be sharper, even harsh at times. They rarely got into the warm and fuzzy zone that helped keep The Dead so close to so many hearts. Even so, I appreciate their willingness, even drive, to push the envelope - many envelopes, actually.

Dan Hicks went to the heavenly band too Today ( December 9, 1941 – February 6, 2016)

http://www.danhicks.net/
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

R.I.P., Dan Hicks. A way cool cat.

Damn. I'm guessing this is due to the age I/we have achieved. They seem to be dropping at a fast rate.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Dan was a jive cat who had the feel. He was part of this important recording, from 1988: Rob Wasserman - Duets.

This collection of duets features my bass in a variety of different roles, from supportive to lead to orchestral. With the exception of Rkckie Lee's 1828 Cabasse Romantic guitar and bells-percussion, Lou's guitar, Bobby's body and Stephanes violin, which, to me is one of the truest voices, every sound heard on this recording is solely and purely bass and voice. The goal was to show that two musical forces can be everything all by themselves.

The recording of these songs was a maniacal labor of love and a truly collaborative project from the beginning. Each artist gave an incredible amount of energy and commitment to its creation, and to Aaron, Rickie Lee, Bobby, Loum, Jennifer, Dan, Cheryl and Stephane, many, many thanks. I dedicate it to them and to the great and limitless spirit of collaboration

- Rob Wasserman
    Mill Valley, CA

Dan Hicks was a really influential musician and bandleader. He broke up his band around 1974 and it was a shame. I got to see him once in '73 and he was great. 2016 has been very rough and it's only February.

To tie Dan and PK together, I remember well Dan Hicks and the Hot Licks opening for the Airplane at Winterland, in a benefit for the Grateful Dead, who got busted in New Orleans...
    Just looked it up: February 23rd, 1970...

Airplane, Quicksilver, It's a Beautiful Day, Santana, and DH & THL...

Bill Graham put it all together...

Dan Hicks: "Let's all give a big round of applause for Mr. Bill Graham...Bill, take a bow...(big applause)...
    "Can't stand the man, myself".....

I just about lost it. One of the funniest moments ever at Winterland, or anywhere else...

R.I.P. DH...

25. The following members say thank you to Spruce for this post:

jasona 

Blog Entries

According to this Jefferson Airplane fan site, which lists nearly every show they did (not the UNH show I mentioned earlier ), Dan Hicks and JA crossed paths a few times:

June 21-25, 1966 - Matrix, San Francisco CA poster
    Also with Dan Hicks or Don Garrett

Yes, that's six days in a row. Marty Balin founded The Matrix, then put together Jefferson Airplane. They played there a lot.

February 23, 1970* (Monday) - Fillmore West, San Francisco CA poster
    We Can Be Together, Volunteers, Good Shepherd, Somebody to Love, Emergency, Uncle Sam Blues, Have You Seen the Saucers, Mexico, The Other Side of This Life, Same Old Phony Handshake, Greasy Heart, 3/5 of a Mile in 10 Seconds
    Benefit for Grateful Dead
    Also with Quicksilver Messenger Service, Santana, It's a Beautiful Day, Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks

There's also this near-miss:

(June 12, 1968 (Wednesday) - Carousel Ballroom, San Francisco CA)
    ("Fire Dance" Alton Kelley Benefit, also with the Charlatans, Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks, Steve Miller Band)
    (originally planned for May 8, 1968 - JA was scheduled to play May 8 but did not play June 12)

Additionally, there are about a dozen shows with Jefferson Airplane and The Charlatans while Dan was with them, first on drums (which he'd played beginning in high school) and later on rhythm guitar. He left sometime in 1968 to form Dan Hicks And His Hot Licks. It would be interesting to learn whether he played in both bands on that 6/12/68 date.

Blog Entries

Damn. I'm guessing this is due to the age I/we have achieved. They seem to be dropping at a fast rate.
    Its really hard. I feel numb. It really feels like a reaping.

I suppose in what ever times you have lived, those who were your formative influences when you were most impressionable will likely all move on around the same time. Understanding that doesn't make it any easier.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....