Thread: C Chop Chord Fingering

Default C Chop Chord Fingering

I'm working on the C chop chord and have seen a fingering that frets the 1st and 2nd strings with the middle finger. I can't even sort of do that; I have to mute the 1st string with my pinky or just try not to hit it when I strum.

Does anyone play the fingering that frets both 1st and 2nd strings? It seems impossible...

Default Re: C Chop Chord Fingering

K-J,
    Do you mean :

string - Fret - Finger
    (E) - 3 - Middle
    (A) - 3 - Middle
    (D) - 2 - First
    (G) - 5 - pinky

It's not exactly clear. It that's the case, I seems to be a common fingering.

If I'm playing a C chop chord, I don't play the first string G note (3rd fret). Most of the emphasis for that chop chords' annunciation is going to come from the 4th and 3rd strings.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

When you're playing that C chord, just let your middle finger lean over a little towards the first string. Either it will fret the G note, or it will mute the 1st string. OR .... you can forget the first string and if your pick hits it, it doesn't matter since it's E and a part of the C Chord anyway (if you don't mind its ringing out a little).
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

I just play the C on the G,D,& A strings and don't worry about the E. There are lots of ways to get a good chop and it comes from the low strings not the high strings.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

6. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

The key is the lower notes: once you get that, chopping becomes manageable. (If not easy... no, not easy... )
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

8. The following members say thank you to David Lewis for this post:

Great, thanks everyone. First post successful!

I know this is not the usual "chop" fingering but do any of you guys use the C chord fingered:

or 5578?

or the G 4553 or 7557 ?

Just curious, thanks.
    Last edited by DavidKOS; Feb-01-2016 at 9:08am.

Depending on what the song calls for, I like to do:

(E) - 3 - First
    (A) - 3 - First
    (D) - 5 - Middle
    (G) - 5 - Middle

That's obviously taking your problem and making it worse! You should try practicing it every once in a while though just to get better at it.
    Getting two sets with one finger is pretty difficult a lot of times. Sometimes it's good enough to just grab the 'inner' strings of each set instead of all 4, depending on the context.

You can also of course take the 4 finger G shape and move it down the neck for C. I do this a lot too, but the problem I have with it is that the pinky winds up on the 12th fret which makes a harmonic.

Either way, like others have said, focus on G, D and A strings and just make sure the E doesn't do anything too annoying.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drew Egerton For This Useful Post:

I just use the 523X shape, as I like a good chop chord to be mostly from the 3rd and 4th strings for a good percussive/bassy sound. I don't like chop chords that have the tinkly treble notes.

And yeah, I don't have wide enough fingers to be able to fret two adjacent courses for any chords like some people can. Those of us who don't have sausage fingers just have to find ways to work around it.

I don't know who said we could only chop one chord shape. If the banjo is vamping most use alternate chord shapes. I do that a lot on mandolin and at times use several different shapes they all can be chopped and give a different less boring sound. It also shows everyone that you know chords all over the mandolin LOL

15. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I just play the C on the G,D,& A strings and don't worry about the E. There are lots of ways to get a good chop and it comes from the low strings not the high strings.
    Yea that is what I have been doing.

There are choices for three finger chords, that usually involve either skipping the high E or skipping the low G. When I am chopping with a three finger chord I generally I pick the version that leaves the high E string out. Deeper sound, and I can chop down more authoritatively with the G in there. Don't have to look. If I am just playing a chord backup, and not worried about a percussive chop, I go with what seems to work best with the tune.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    I just use the 523X shape, as I like a good chop chord to be mostly from the 3rd and 4th strings for a good percussive/bassy sound. I don't like chop chords that have the tinkly treble notes.
    That's it exactly.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Be patient , practice right hand accuracy, use more than one form of major chord three and four tone fingerings to keep you rhythm playing interesting. Use two tone / double stops on the G and D strings when you move around. Two strings can be played with one finger either with the tip of the finger , if you have big enough fingers. Or by using the side of the finger ala guitar bar chord. Luck ...
    R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

I play a chop for C
    Asrting 3rd
    Dstring 2nd
    Gstring 5th

I do a similar thing for G
    Gstring 4th
    Dstring 5th
    Astring 2nd

Nice deep chop and I like it better than the typical bluegrass chop going to the 7th fret, easier and to me sounds better.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    I know this is not the usual "chop" fingering but do any of you guys use the C chord fingered:

or 5578?

or the G 4553 or 7557 ?

Just curious, thanks.
    I have experimented with chopping using shapes like this, that are more barre chords than traditional mandolin chop chords. My overall impression of them is "meh". They just don't have the same punch. Part of what makes a good chop chord is the ability to immediately mute the notes by easing finger pressure ever so slightly, but with high precision and timing. That's easier and more effective when all the notes are played with a fingertip instead of the side of a finger.

And traditional chop chord shapes are easier to hold for long periods of time than barre chords. In bluegrass, mandolin players spend most of their time chopping.

21. The following members say thank you to Tobin for this post:

Blog Entries

mostly 523x
    but 557x anytime it's closer

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Wilson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    I have experimented with chopping using shapes like this, that are more barre chords than traditional mandolin chop chords. My overall impression of them is "meh". ...etc.
    I appreciate the answer. I was wondering if it also had to do with the voicing.

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

You could cheat a bit and finger it

0 2 3 0. Or better just 0 2 3 x
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

523x
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    I appreciate the answer. I was wondering if it also had to do with the voicing.

I do the 5578

but I guess I would call it more of percussive than chop if that makes any sense.
    "we should restore the practice of dueling. It might improve manners around here." -Edward Abbey

28. The following members say thank you to allowishish for this post:

523x

Quote Originally Posted by allowishish View Post
    I do the 5578

but I guess I would call it more of percussive than chop if that makes any sense.
    Yes, although the chop is a percussive backbeat strum to begin with, so the dividing line is a bit thin.