Thread: TIM O''BRiEN IN UK pictures

Default TIM O''BRiEN IN UK pictures

Had the great pleasure of seeing Tim O'Brien perform last night. Here's how it went and a few pictures to back up the words.
    We drove from Mid-Wales to Tamworth near Birmingham after work (the exhaust fell off the car on the way and the noise was insane). The car troubles meant we missed the support act but arrived with fifteen minutes to get a drink and settle before Tim came on.
    The venue held about a hundred people (maybe less) and had a nice run down feel that made us feel very much at home(!).
    Tim wandered out and played five or six songs on acoustic guitar. He gave us some old traditional songs, a Dylan cover and his own material. His voice was perfect, hit every note.
    He then played a while on mandolin and demonstrated why he's so respected simply as a musician. This was followed with some fiddle which he used to accompany himself singing a few times and again he was just incredible.
    He finished the evening with a few more songs on guitar (including Nellie Kane after I shouted out a request) and closed with a long version of Deep River Blues during which he told stories about Doc Watson as he picked.
    Tim is such an accomplished musician and performer and my wife (who had been sceptical about coming out for more of my bluegrass) was completely won over by him.
    Got to meet with him and chat briefly at the bar and got a photo which he was gracious enough to allow me to have.
    He's got another ten shows in the UK before heading home: if you get the chance go see him. Here's a few pictures.

Last edited by Darren Bailey; Jan-29-2016 at 1:04pm. Reason: typos

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Darren Bailey For This Useful Post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Default Re: TIM O''BRiEN IN UK pictures

Sounds like a grand time! Thanks for sharing your story.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Thanks for that Darren, we're due to see him at another small venue in Leek (Staffordshire) tomorrow night. I was wondering what to expect. It' a number of years since we last saw him and he was playing with others at the time.

Very cool Darren. Sounds like Tim is a nice guy as well as a super talent. Glad you had a good time. My wife was skeptical before seeing Doc Watson, but was won over in like fashion.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

See you in Leek, Ray!
    Tim Mundy
    www.slipperyhill.co.uk
    2002 Gibson F5 Fern
    1920 Gibson A2
    2005 Gibson A5L
    Rigel A+ Deluxe Custom
    1926 Gibson TB1 Tenor Banjo
    1963 Epiphone TF28 Tenor Guitar
    Ovation MM868 Mandocello
    1987 Rob Armstrong Mandolinetto

Hopefully Tim. I say this as there seems to be some confusion about what time the show is due to get on the road.

My e-ticket says that the doors open at 7.30. The venue's website implies that it might start at 7.30 so I 'phoned the manager and she says that the doors are due to open at 8.00! Apparently we can wait inside so the current withering westerly wind shouldn't be a problem - see you in the queue.

Don't worry about getting there early, Ray; 'Doors' in this case means the door to the concert room. The bar will be open, I'm sure!
    Tim Mundy
    www.slipperyhill.co.uk
    2002 Gibson F5 Fern
    1920 Gibson A2
    2005 Gibson A5L
    Rigel A+ Deluxe Custom
    1926 Gibson TB1 Tenor Banjo
    1963 Epiphone TF28 Tenor Guitar
    Ovation MM868 Mandocello
    1987 Rob Armstrong Mandolinetto

Man, that must've been a great show. Thanks for the pics (great beard, by the way, Darren). I would love to hear Tim sing 'Lost Little Children' and 'What Does the Deep Sea Say' in an intimate setting like that. He's a great musician.

Great night - just home and settled down with a glass of single malt!

Much the same format as Darren described but different material. He was joined for a fair few numbers by his partner, Jan Fabricus, whose voice blends flawlessly with his. Would have liked more mandolin but you can't have everything.

Tim said that they are driving down to London tonight to do a radio intrview early tomorrow morning. I assume this wil be Radio 4 "Broadcasting House" - plaease shout out if anyone spots it so we can find it on the iPlayer.

Went to the Saltaire gig - an absolutely fantastic night. He's a really good showman, with superb musical skills, but also has fantastic rapport with the audience.