Thread: "Mounting holes" for the bridge on an old mandolin

Default "Mounting holes" for the bridge on an old mandolin

I recently got an old German Mandolin, which I am cleaning up and restoring a little. It's a nice little instrument, but after taking all the strings off and removing the bridge, I came across something I haven't seen before. The bridge was sitting on what I thought to be two small washers, but once it came off, I noticed that these are basically bushes around two holes drilled through the (spruce) top of the instrument. (see photo)

This basically gives a set position for the bridge, but what flummoxed me further was that the bridge is quite a bit off where I would expect it (by judging the 12 fret as the centre of the scale length), 18.5 cm from bridge to 12th, 16.5 from 12th to nut.

Has anyone come across this type of setup before? Should I stick the bridge on these "posts" or position it on the wood instead? Intonation seemed a little off in the original bridge position before I took the rusty strings off, but hard to know whether this was due to the strings or the bridge position for a noob like me.

For those interested, it is a Arion mando (manufacturer), but I have been unable to get any details about them so far.

Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0252_lowres.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	115.9 KB 
ID:	143161

Default Re: "Mounting holes" for the bridge on an old mandolin

I'm not sure if those are bridge positioning holes or the holes that seem to be drilled for no known reason in many German mandolins.Usually they have some sort of insert in them. Perhaps someone decided to put the bridge there.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...s-in-mandolins
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

3. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Ah - interesting that other German instruments had these, too. Thanks for sharing your expertise.

I will have a play with it over the next few days and find the "good" bridge position.

Those could be some sort of "sound vents" that some European mandolin makers commonly used. (For example Calace.)
    Their positioning on the mandolin top varies from one maker to another. Some makers used to drilled those "vents" on their mandolin sides.
    I doubt it those "sound vents" make any perceptible difference in mandolin tone, however, perhaps there is some valid reasoning/experimenting behind it.

On the other hand, bridge position markers need not be drilled thru the top, they typically consisted of tiny wood buttons glued onto the soundboard at each bridge tip, after the maker positioned the bridge "properly" (at the time).

They're common, functionality unknown

Whatever the bridge should not actually be on them - between them maybe - but certainly you should place it at the correct point, not where someone happened to place it before by mistake.

Those plastic inserts aren't original either.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Ah! The return of the mystery holes! Never seen them there before. They're usually off centre or on the side of the instrument. One day someone will tell us what they are.

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Raldanash View Post
    ... 18.5 cm from bridge to 12th, 16.5 from 12th to nut. ... Intonation seemed a little off in the original bridge position ...
    Twice the nut-to-12th-fret distance is defined as the formal "scale length" but, to compensate for stretching, thus sharping, the strings in the act of fretting, the 12th-fret-to-bridge distance is always a slight bit longer. (It's the varying reaction of differing strings that gives us the zig-zag "compensation offsets" of the typical bridge; older bridges are often straight).

So the distance from 12th fret to bridge should be just SLIGHTLY more than 16.5cm (but certainly not 18.5), leaving your sound holes in the clear.

Fret.com has info on setting the proper bridge position / intonation. See the bottom of this page, on restringing an archtop guitar (that also has a floating bridge):
    http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musi...tstring02.html
    Last edited by EdHanrahan; Jan-29-2016 at 11:29am. Reason: shorter ... longer ... I'll get it eventually! Need more coffee...
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Perhaps the best known mandolin builder who made some of his mandolins with "sound vents" in the top, on the soundhole side of the bridge, is Raffaele Calace from Naples, Italy. His typical "sound vent" configuration is shown in the enclosed picture, early 20th century. Some older German mandolin builders used to position such vents only on one side of the mandolin top.
    In any event, all of those "sound vents" which I've seen were probably originally provisioned with some sort of bushings for a more finished look as well as hole edge protection, although the bushings are often gone missing too .

Name:	calace.JPG 
Views:	166 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	143171

11. The following members say thank you to plinkey for this post:

Thanks for the info from everyone. Good link for the bridge positioning, too. I just tend to use the 2x 12th distance as a starting point for the bridge position. Has anyone ever heard of Arion as a guitar / mando maker?

Buick used those vents, also. Makes the car look "faster"....

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Buick used those vents, also. Makes the car look "faster"....
    I thought those were for dropping an anchor in case the brakes would fail...
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    I thought those were for dropping an anchor in case the brakes would fail...
    We didn't drive them long enough to notice brake problems, as the automatic transmissions failed first. We had two Specials (3 port-holes) and a Roadmaster (4 port-holes), and several other Buicks for parts, they all had transmission issues. They eventually all got parked out in the back field where they sat for the next 40 years or so.

Blog Entries

Looks to me like these holes might be meant to 'soften' the top, ahead of the hard stiff break in the top (and the bridge).
    1983 Flatiron 1N - Pancake/Army-Navy
    2011 Eastman MD-315 - F-style
    Rover RM-50B - A-style

2014 Satin Cherry, Gibson USA 120th Anniversary SGJ14
    Godin Guitars' Art & Lutherie "Spruce" 6-string dreadnought. Hand made in Canada.

Blog Entries

Nah, it's so you can hold them up and scare the audience in the spooky numbers

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	132 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	143256
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by Beanzy View Post
    Nah, it's so you can hold them up and scare the audience in the spooky numbers

Name:	image.jpeg 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	143256

That looks familiar.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	homer.jpg 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	143259  
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

20. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post: