Thread: String Spacing on BR-40T and Ellis Sig.

Default String Spacing on BR-40T and Ellis Sig.

Hi all. I recently purchased Ibanez's PFT2 tenor guitar and have thoroughly enjoyed it. As with all instruments in this price range, when reviewing it one always begins with the caveat, "For the money...." But really, for the money, it's great fun. My only issue really has to do with the nut width and specifically string spacing. It's a little narrow for my liking. I've had so much fun with this little guitar, I started trying to figure out what my perfect instrument would be. One of my favorite finger picking instruments is a baritone uke with the strings spaced nearly 1 1/4'' across. The Ibanez is just under an inch. Does anyone have either a Blueridge BR-40T or Eastwood Warren Ellis Signature model and know how wide those strings are apart?

As a side note, I've had so much fun playing with this voicing, I took the bottom and top strings off my Larrivee 6-string and retuned it and love the sound. I'm considering an over-sized tenor build with a larger 000-ish sized body, but I'm not sure if the reduced string tension of a 23'' scale would push the larger body well enough.

Thanks for your help.

Aaron

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Default Re: String Spacing on BR-40T and Ellis Sig.

Hi Aaron, I think the Blueridge is 1.2" (I know mine is 32.5mm) That is a pretty standard nut width for tenor guitars although my Ozark is 30mm.
    I own a selection of tenors from small body to jumbo body, 20" scale to 25" scale, they all work well & sound great
    If you want to convert a 6 string body rather than build a lighter braced thinner toped, custom made body then take a look at a classical guitar to convert.

The Blueridge BR-40T nut width is listed as 1 9/32 inches which converts to 1.28125 inches. The Eastwood Warren Ellis Signature model has a listed nut width of 1 5/16 inches which converts to 1.3125 inches. As a side note, the Warren Ellis Signature model has wide string spacing at the bridge because they are using a bass bridge on the tenor guitar. To get the bridge string spacing of a 6 string guitar you will need to order the Warren Ellis Signature Tenor DLX.
    Blueridge BR-60T Tenor Guitar
    Eastwood Warren Ellis 2P Tenor Guitar

Thanks for the response, fox. It seems like the nut width is the same (the standard, as you said). I appreciate the conversion idea. I have a couple 6-strings that I honestly just don't play much anymore.

It looks like you build some too. I saw a picture of yours that looked quite lovely. Congratulations.

5. The following members say thank you to Aaron Coe for this post:

fox 

Chip, thanks for the response. Does the Signature model seem wider close to the nut, or only down the neck? I was seriously considering a Signature model, but want slightly wider string spacing than on a 6-string or on what appears to be the standard tenor nut. The baritone uke I most enjoy playing has a 1 1/2'' nut and I really like the string spacing. Of course, a bit more practice might sort it all out.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Coe View Post
    Chip, thanks for the response. Does the Signature model seem wider close to the nut, or only down the neck? I was seriously considering a Signature model, but want slightly wider string spacing than on a 6-string or on what appears to be the standard tenor nut. The baritone uke I most enjoy playing has a 1 1/2'' nut and I really like the string spacing. Of course, a bit more practice might sort it all out.
    Both Warren Ellis models have the same nut width (1 5/16 inches). The only difference is at the bridge. I'm not aware of any tenor guitars that have a 1 1/2 inch nut width.

My Zither electric tenor has a 1.5" nut width, but they don't seem to make them anymore. String spacing at the nut is 1 1/16". I have a Blueridge and an Ibanez parlor body tenor (AVT1NT), and the Blueridge string spacing is right at 1", compared to 7/8" for the Ibanez.

FYI the Breedlove tenors (also no longer in production), built for GDAE tuning, had 000-size bodies, but a slightly longer scale length (a little over 24"). It works well for that tuning, but if you were playing in CGDA or DGBE I'd say the extra body size isn't going to add much to the sonic experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Seonachan View Post
    My Zither electric tenor has a 1.5" nut width, but they don't seem to make them anymore. String spacing at the nut is 1 1/16". I have a Blueridge and an Ibanez parlor body tenor (AVT1NT), and the Blueridge string spacing is right at 1", compared to 7/8" for the Ibanez.

FYI the Breedlove tenors (also no longer in production), built for GDAE tuning, had 000-size bodies, but a slightly longer scale length (a little over 24"). It works well for that tuning, but if you were playing in CGDA or DGBE I'd say the extra body size isn't going to add much to the sonic experience.

I'm tuning in (what I believe is) a rather unusual way. I wanted a larger, steel-stringed sound but with just four strings because I've really grown to love that four-string setup. To my ear, lots of music- blues, rock- especially songs where strumming is natural, sound better on steel strings and a bigger sound. I figured I'd try Chicago tuning with the tenor, but didn't like that much. So I switched from the top four strings of a guitar, to the middle four and tuned down to GCEA. Essentially, I'm playing an overgrown, steel-string ukulele. I actually really love it.

I think the flexibility in tuning is why the tenor guitar is seeing a resurgence of popularity. It is an instrument that can truly be all things to most people, whether that be CGDA, GDAE, DGBE, or GCEA.