Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: straw poll: what's your favourite pick for trad/celtic playing?

Default Re: straw poll: what's your favourite pick for trad/celtic playin

So I sat down with 8 different picks and did a comparison of them all - here's the video of it, and if you want to read my thoughts on them all, here's the post I wrote about it on my blog: Pick shootout!

2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jill McAuley For This Useful Post:

Sometimes you just can't beat good quality celluloid!

4. The following members say thank you to Nick Quig for this post:

I am pushed to hear a lot of difference on my computer speakers, Jill, but your test is a very useful bit of research. I too have come to prefer picks about 1 mm in thickness over the past while. As well as tone I want to have a pick I can comfortably hold. Elsewhere I mentioned that I have been making my own using a plectrum punch my daughter gave me. It punches picks out of old credit cards (or current ones if you cannot control your spending!). The pick needs to be reshaped a bit to take the point down a bit and the edges need bevelling and polishing. The thing I like too is that the pick gets a built-in grip courtesy of the raised numbers which are on the card. The generic celluloid ones for guitar are becoming one of my favourites too.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

Yeah, I wasn't anticipating much difference due to several of them being of the same material (celluloid) and all barring two were the same thickness. The ones that are noticeably different to my ears are the BC TPR35, the Wegen M100 and the Mandolin Store picks.
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

For mando playing (Celtic), I mostly use a Blue Chip TD35 or TD40, and occasionally if I want a bright, snappy sound, I'll use a Dunlop Ultex standard 0.73. For tenor banjo though, I'm pretty much stuck on Clayton Black Raven standard 0.50 as they are just a bit stiffer than than the usual red Dunlop Tortex 0.50 that many TB players use. For me, nylon picks (like the Dunlop Nylon 0.60) are kind of flimsy and tend to get soft after a couple of hours of session playing.
    Too many instruments...too little time

8. The following members say thank you to BBarton for this post:

For a really bright sound I like the V-Pick Screamer. The Chicken Picker for a slightly mellower sound. The Pachelli (V-pick, 4.75 mil) gives an interesting sound.

Three credits to Jill for starting this topic. Here are my current favorites for playing traditional Irish & old-time tunes on mandolin. I scoured the replies & found that neither of these has been mentioned. My current favorites are the Pyramid picks I found at stringsbymail.com:

https://www.stringsbymail.com/guitar...id-picks-3065/

The heavy (or sometimes extra-heavy) sound the best to me, depending on the instrument.

My other favorites are the Pickboy Vintage T-Shell Classics 1.20mm. These are available from Amazon.com from time-to-time and are very reasonably priced there:

http://www.amazon.com/Pickboy-Vintag...ilpage_o09_s00

I have NFI in either outfit. I cited the sources for the convenience of those who might want to try the picks.

MikeyG

11. The following members say thank you to MikeyG for this post:

I started using Clayton picks a while back. They sounded good. I use the same picks for cittern, zouk and guitar.

After seeing Jill's comparison, I did one too. I don't have an AJr but I do have an early Gibson oval hole. The first pick I used was a Primetone and the "Clayton" Bluegrass pick is really a Wegen M300 like the one that Jill used.
    A lot of these picks sound the same and part of that is the technique and the sound of the instrument covering up little differences. There are some noticeable differences however. I was trying to learn the passage that Jill used just to make sure to eliminate one variable. I screw it up in the beginning but come close in the end. Here is the video:

14. The following members say thank you to mikeyes for this post:

I guessed both Bluechips straight away, and was surprised by the V-Pick, it was warmer sounding than I expected - thanks for the comparison Mike!
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

16. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

Having gone through a bunch of different picks, I thought I'd settled on 1.5mm Primetone triangles. But after watching Jill's and Mike's videos I might just have to get hold of a Wegen...

If had replied with the Pyramid Heavy earlier. I still like them best.

My favorite 3 picks sampler. I modified the bevel and grip on all these and despite the price difference they all sound about the same. In random order, a Wegen, Gilchrist ivoroid pick and a BlueChip TP40.

Lovely tone as always! Can I ask what you used to modify the bevel on them?
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

The BlueChip originally had a left hand bevel which I filed away and created a right hand bevel, first using a 2 sided emery board and then a 2 sided fret polishing stick. The Gilchrist is my oldest pick which I altered by sanding a point down quite a bit thinner and then shaping the picking edge rounder and without a bevel. The Wegen is the slipperiest of picks and required a lot traction to hold on to. Only minimal rounding of the picking edge to soften it up a bit. This is a beautiful melody.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8619 (640x358).jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	126.9 KB 
ID:	146116  

22. The following members say thank you to dustyamps for this post:

Beautiful tone dusty.
    Frustrated by my triplets I once took a piece of sandpaper to a dunlop primetone. It didn't work - the pick went straight into the bin. I must say it takes some guts to start modifying a BlueChip.

Here is another pick comparison, this time with my Gibson F-5 and eleven different picks ranging from a .63 Clayton to a 100 Blue Chip. You can decide which one suits the instrument the best, I'm having a hard time choosing. I found that the pick I use for bluegrass music is not as suitable for Irish music probably due to the difference in technique and the fact that I often play in second and third position in bluegrass.

I've just received a set of Wegen picks, 2 each all 3 sizes (1mm, 1.2mm & 1.4mm) in the TF range. Very good communication and service from Michel Wegen.

Michel describes them as his thinner picks, but they are thicker and stiffer than what I'm used to (JD Tortex green triangle .88) .

They give a good sound but I'll have to try them in a session to see if they help projection as much as I suspect they will.

I'm hooked on large triangle picks, like the old Gibson ones, due to general bad habits and big hand/short fingers. Wegen's TF range are 32mm across, very similar to the JD triangle at 31mm. Any shorter and I tend to swipe and miss.
    Bren

Gibson pure XH. my favourite

I use the pointed or the rounded side,depends.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyes View Post
    Here is another pick comparison, this time with my Gibson F-5 and eleven different picks ranging from a .63 Clayton to a 100 Blue Chip. You can decide which one suits the instrument the best, I'm having a hard time choosing. I found that the pick I use for bluegrass music is not as suitable for Irish music probably due to the difference in technique and the fact that I often play in second and third position in bluegrass.

Finally got a chance to sit down and watch this - I really liked the D'Andrea 1.4mm and the Blue Chip 60 meself!
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Regarding thickness of pick. Transparent mando sound to dull muted sound. What is the best thickness or material or shape of the pick ?

Well, I took my Wegen TF100/120/140 picks to the Orkney folk festival and got involved in a number of sessions of varying sizes over the four days.

It took me a while to get used to them.

Although they're nominally thick for a "Celtic" mandolin, they are bevelled down to a thin edge with most of the bevel on the "upstroke" side (presumably why Michel Wegen asks whether you're left or right -handed when ordering) .

I think that might make them "self-sharpening" if they wear, but other players assured me that they "never wear out".
    Possibly a slight exaggeration.

So: tone.
    Using Werner's terminology, I'd say they lean towards "transparent mando sound" on my round hole carved-top-and-back "Celtic" mandolin. However, once you get used to them, you can "feather" the strings while picking for a more muted sound.

At first I found them stiff and over-bright-sounding. As I got used to them over the weekend my tone improved and triplets & tremolo improved.

They certainly aided volume and projection and I could be heard and hear myself even in the noisiest sessions.
    At one stage I borrowed a friend's F-hole Flatbush , a "bluegrassy-sounding" mandolin, and the sound that leapt out of it with the Wegen was truly incredible. It's only time I can remember stopping a busy room just by playing a tune on mandolin!

The above comments apply only to the "TF" range.

I mentioned other players:

I was quite astonished to see how many other mandolinists and guitarists were using Wegens. Either I'd never noticed it in previous years or they have really caught on.

The really thick ones were popular with guitarists and then quite a lot using the TF range like me, which have even acquired a nickname "pepperpots" because of the hole pattern in them.
    Bren

Hey all,
    Nashvillepicks.com he makes the best picks.
    I am using a buffalo horn triangle that is fantastic .
    I've been using a bronze pick for my guitar playing, I just got a peso pick.
    Dustin came out with these formica picks that are thin and don't wear down.
    He hand bevels all of them, great stuff.
    Master artisan picks
    " Practice every time you get a chance." - Bill Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by Bren View Post
    Well, I took my Wegen TF100/120/140 picks to the Orkney folk festival and got involved in a number of sessions of varying sizes over the four days.

It took me a while to get used to them.
    This inspires me to revisit the Wegen picks I purchased recently. While I loved the sound I was getting with them, it was the feel of them on the strings that felt odd to me, like there was more friction between pick and string than I experience with Blue Chip/Primetone/celluloid picks. But maybe it's just a case of needing to alter my pick angle and attack.
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Just got a Blue Chip Kenny Smith off the classifieds - it's the one that's like a TPR40 but smaller. I have to say my initial impression of it is great! It has a right hand bevel, isn't as thin sounding as my TPR35 with the right hand bevel, and feels faster and smoother than my TPR40 with rounded bevel. It might not be many folks cup of tea due to it being fairly small for a mandolin pick (the size of a quarter) but for me it felt really good, almost as if the smaller size is easier to play relaxed with since there's barely anything in your hand! I'll record a few clips over the weekend of me using it.
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel