Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colling's MF as a gift?

Lost my boots in transit terzinator's Avatar

Default Re: Colling's MF as a gift?

Yep, I also figured out the shop from the various clues. Fun stuff. I miss their old location, but still, great folks and excellent selection.

Anyway, I agree with all who say take her to the shop. Daryl's specific suggestions are great, too.

Good luck!

Martooni!

Whatever you do, let us know how this wonderful story ends.

(Go for the Colling's!)
    Jethro lives! (Tiny, too!)

I think buying her a mandolin is a fantastic idea! What I don't think is a fantastic idea is any sort of subterfuge in doing it. Take it from someone who has been married a long time, honesty is your best friend. I'd bring her there and then tell her you had your eye on the Collings as a gift for her, but wanted to make sure she liked it before you spent some big money on it. It gives her the chance to be surprised but also a chance to take a role in the selection and purchase. Also, see if any others in your price range are more to her liking. PS- great choice in a Collings, and in a woman who knows how to play one! Best of luck to you all!

PS- if they are a Collings dealer, you should really check out the MT. Great sounding mandolins. I actually like them better than the MF.
    Last edited by colorado_al; Jan-28-2016 at 9:31pm.

4. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

as a duet with guitar - and if that's the expected band - what's the need for a f-hole mandolin? To me when playing up against a bluegrass banjo and chopping chords I'd get the f-hole mandolin. A great '20s Gibson snakehead, oval hole, a-model mandolin can be had for well under $3,000.00, for example. That's what I play in a duet with a guitar. Is that the vibe and sound she'd like (and work with a guitar)?

I do see the f-hole mandolin as the most versatile instrument. That said, for big money (and a couple relationship), I'd let her choose.

On impulse though, I do like the idea of just doing it!

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Ah the best laid plans... So, I was arranging a blind taste test at the Podium this coming Saturday, but 3 of the 4 mandolins in the line-up have sold in the last two weeks, including the Collings that went out the door this last Saturday. The new Northfield F5S was the only one still available.

Talking with the owner, he feels that the Northfield is of similar quality, a thousand dollars cheaper and has a warmer sound that will fit better for a 2 voice bluegrass duo with a guitar anyway. Additionally, it will be closer to the Washburn she had in style and feel (though with a much higher quality build). There isn't much in the area to compare it against, and since it's new, I picked it up with the 7 day return policy, and we'll see what she thinks on Sunday. :-)

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Martooni For This Useful Post:

Nice!
    Blow on, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Martooni View Post
    Ah the best laid plans... So, I was arranging a blind taste test at the Podium this coming Saturday, but 3 of the 4 mandolins in the line-up have sold in the last two weeks, including the Collings that went out the door this last Saturday. The new Northfield F5S was the only one still available.

Talking with the owner, he feels that the Northfield is of similar quality, a thousand dollars cheaper and has a warmer sound that will fit better for a 2 voice bluegrass duo with a guitar anyway. Additionally, it will be closer to the Washburn she had in style and feel (though with a much higher quality build). There isn't much in the area to compare it against, and since it's new, I picked it up with the 7 day return policy, and we'll see what she thinks on Sunday. :-)
    i think she will love the Northfield, they make excellent instruments and tend to have a high resale and sale quickly. the company has excellent customer service, and if you look things up on youtube you will find a couple of high end players using Northfield these days-lots of good stuff on youtube regarding NF.

I've owned one, they look and sound mighty fine. i think you got the best of the bunch(and i'm a Collings man), based on what you've said of her past.

d

A Northfield could easily be a lifelong player. Great choice.

I just sold an S series Northfield (almost to Daryl , and I think you did well - they are great instruments!

Quote Originally Posted by LBob View Post
    I just sold an S series Northfield (almost to Daryl , and I think you did well - they are great instruments!
    hey Bob
    that $ just dropped into my account today-goodness what a trip this time. glad we didn't have you wait.
    d

Congrats! I just bought a Northfield to accompany my Collings MT2 and I absolutely love it! It blows me away daily!
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

Nice. That's a great mandolin. I'm sure she will be thrilled! I wish you both a lifetime of happiness.

Thanks all. She loved it. :-) Looks and feels like her grandfather's with a richer sound.

I tried both of those instruments, the Collings and the Northfield at the Podium, of the two, I would have chosen the Northfield.

Nice.....glad it worked out.

just grinning reading this. what a catch. (the guy and the mando.)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Martooni View Post
    I’m new to the forum and do not play mandolin; however, I’m in love...
    Epic thread opener.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Don't buy it... write her a note, and tell her you'd like to buy her a mandolin because you love her, and you know her history and want to be part of her future.

Instruments are very personal... best not to pick one for someone. Bring her to the shop, let her play a bunch of them, and find the ones that sing to her and feel right. If you think she'll be concerned about the cost... go back later and buy it privately. If you have a relationship where you can be transparent, buy the one you both agree makes sense for your family. Collings hold their value, so you're not going to go wrong here with an MF or MF5. That said, she might love an MT2... let her have that choice. Giving someone choices is a way to show them love, and exercise restraint.

He already gave it to her if I'm not mistaken, see post #38 above....
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

22. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by robert.najlis View Post
    I tried both of those instruments, the Collings and the Northfield at the Podium, of the two, I would have chosen the Northfield.
    I tested a similar list at the Music Emporium in Lexington, MA; a Rattlesnake, a 20's Gibson F5, an MF5, an MF, an MT2, and an F5SA. Went with the Northfield based on sounds and feel, couldn't be happier.

My wife bought me a mandolin this Christmas. It is a custom model dated Dec 25 2015 made by small luthier. Even though I will buy and sell other mandolins I will always Keep this one. I haven't been able to put either her or the mandolin down since Christmas.

The fun thread that would come from this is: Who else has a spouse or SO who has surprised them with the gift of a fine instrument?
    You can't get there from here.

My wife surprised me with my Collings MT Xmas before last.

I dunno if it would be considered a surprise, but my husband agreed to pay for the snakehead I fell in love with, so it became a "gift" from him to me that I wouldn't have purchased on my own.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305