Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colling's MF as a gift?

Default Colling's MF as a gift?

Hello All,

I’m new to the forum and do not play mandolin; however, I’m in love and about to do something relatively sappy, stupid and mandolin related because of it. What I’m hoping is that this community can help me mitigate the risk involved with said stupidity!

Here is the situation:

As a little girl, my girlfriend performed as a singer with her late grandparent’s blue-grass ensemble. She plays mandolin and guitar, I sing and play guitar, and we both have a lot of performance experience, so we’ve talked about creating our own bluegrass duo, to jam at coffee shops and retirement communities for a fun shared experience and to model our relationship after her grandparents’ wonderful example.

The rub: in a mean-spirited act of revenge a couple years ago, her ex-husband pawned her late-grandfather’s guitar and mandolin during the breakup process. The mandolin was an old Washburn, not super valuable, but priceless for sentimental reasons. I would love to buy her a mandolin as a step towards our future and as a healing gesture. I know it would be more sensible to have her pick it out, but it wouldn't be as "romantic." Since I can’t replace the sentimental value, I’d like to get her an outstanding instrument that she will be sure to like and really spoil her. A local, very reputable shop has a used honey colored Colling’s MF in excellent condition for $3500 (this seems like a decent price though I may be able to negotiate).

From what I’m reading, Colling’s are excellent and consistent. The MF is beautiful but not as appointed as some, but I’m guessing that would will be a relatively safe bet in my scenario. I was originally thinking of saving for a Gibson Fern, but with all of the consistency praise I’m hearing about Colling’s, it sounds like this might be safer for our situation. If I’m spending that much, would I be less foolish not jumping up to the Colling's MF5? Should I consider something else?

As far as instrumentation goes, is this a good choice to play with strong unamplified voices? I’ve read that the tone is great for bluegrass. FYI: my guitar is a decent Alvarez Yairi, but I’ve long lusted after a Santa Cruz D-PW.

I’m open to any and all advice

Blog Entries

Default Re: Colling's MF as a gift?

Take her there on a whim and offer to buy it if she loves it. She might think it was her idea and you made it possible. win win

On the other hand - if a Collings MF doesn't float her boat you might be in trouble for the long run.

3. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

Collings MF is a great mandolin. This is a very generous gift. It is a good idea to maybe take her there to see if she loves it, but maybe under the guise that you are going to just play some guitars, if you think that wouldn't be too suspicious.

Negotiate if you can of course, but that doesn't sound bad at all for a used MF5. Your girlfriend is a lucky girl indeed.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

LOL Mark, I was playing with a similar idea, but I kinda don't want her to try the $21k Brentrup they have hanging there :-)

7. The following members say thank you to Martooni for this post:

I doubt you'll have anyone respond negatively about either the fine qualities of the MF or your gloriously kind gesture. Best to you and yours!

How anyone could be so mean-spirited as her husband is beyond me, but that is the world I guess.
    Blow on, man.

I agree with JWW, go there to look at guitars and suggest she try some mandolins. You can always go back and pick it up later if she likes it. If you buy it first make sure you have a complete refund if she does not love it. First question that always gets asked does it have to be an F5 or would she be happy with an A style? BIG difference in price. There are several nice A style mandolins in the classifieds in including this Collings (you should be able to get an MT2 for a $1000 less than the M)... a good A will be every bit as good as an F5. Leaves some funds for the Santa Cruz.
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/94526#94526

10. The following members say thank you to Northwest Steve for this post:

21K for a Brentrup! I know his mandolins are great, I got to visit with him a few years ago and played several instruments. I understand with him no longer building the prices would go up, but I can't imagine that kind of price. I agree let her try the MF5 and if she likes I say go for it. Remember a Happy wife makes for a happy life (for you).

Very nice thing to do...however I would make sure the shop has a return or exchange policy. The Collings mandolins are very nice but there's always the possibility it just doesn't work for her. I suppose you could always sell it here in the classifieds but it's a big chance to take. I'm with Mark and JWalter, take her here and let her think it's her idea....but have the shop hide the Brentrup just in case...

13. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

I had a Collings MF. Was a great instrument. I replaced it with a Collings MF5. The MF was the better instrument in this case. That being said, to me Collings has an edginess that does not really work well with my domineering right hand. I have heard others with a lighter touch get absolutely lovely sound from Collings mandolins. If your love has a connection with that Collings, then that MF would be a truly thoughtful, romantic and lovely gift. As many have said above, a person's mandolin is a very personal decision. I love my wife dearly, but would not want her to buy me a mandolin, even if a brand and model I covet.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

15. The following members say thank you to red7flag for this post:

I know this seems a little off the wall and not an answer to your question, but I'm wondering if a playable old Washburn ( Lyon and Healy ) two-point might be a good choice. Or a L&H two point for that matter?

If she loved her old Washburn, chances are the Collings will knock her socks off.

Here is an idea.

1. Call the store ahead of time and ask them to remove the tag.

2. Make an excuse to take her there and have her try it out.

3. If (when) she drools all over it plunk out the cash!

Have fun!
    Adam

www.santabarbarasessions.com
    www.adamphillipsmusic.com
    http://www.facebook.com/santabarbarasessions
    Collings MT2
    Big Muddy M2
    Collings MT Mandola
    Weber Gallitan Octave
    Picotte Mandocello

If the Washburn that she was so attached to was an "A" style mandolin, she may not be enamored with an "F" style. I'd take her to the store and get her feedback...

Great idea on getting her a mandolin. It should be truly special for both of you.

Northwest Steve has a good idea too - my MT2 is just awesome and I picked it up used (right place at the right time) for about $1400 less than that MF5.
    Adam

www.santabarbarasessions.com
    www.adamphillipsmusic.com
    http://www.facebook.com/santabarbarasessions
    Collings MT2
    Big Muddy M2
    Collings MT Mandola
    Weber Gallitan Octave
    Picotte Mandocello

Very nice of you to be doing this for her. I am one of those people who love A style mandolins, I have had an F style, but sold it. I have several A's and prefer them, you may want to verify as conoedad suggested that a F is what she would prefer or one that reminds her of her grandparents mandolin.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

I would steal a play out of Mr. Gower's playbook from It's a Wonderful Life: take her to the store and let her gush all over this perfect selection and then ask the salesperson if it comes with a case and have it brought out with her name already engraved on it!
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

I'm going to disagree slightly with the above - regarding having to make your girlfriend play the mandolin that you choose - if you are going for a Collings or similar quality. A Collings is a great instrument that anyone could enjoy and I have seen several excellent professionals playing them. It is orders of magnitude better than a Washburn, and a top tier instrument. A surprise gesture like this is awesome and says a lot about your relationship and commitment, which is more important than the name on the headstock. Having said that, its important that the instrument you buy is in good condition and worth your investment. What would be good is if you could get an experienced mandolin player to check the instrument out for action etc, to be sure that the specific instrument you choose does not have a problem.

23. The following members say thank you to outsidenote for this post:

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

Buying her a mandolin is really nice, i bought my wife a really nice guitar about half the cost of the Collings , years ago, she loves it , i've been looking for a banjo for her next, thinking about giving her one for her birthday, i hope your lady loves the mandolin,, i only played one Collings but i thought it was really nice.
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

while i tend to warn folks off from buying someone an instrument, i did indeed buy my future wife "engagement strings" in the form of a Martin OMJM. she is small in stature and her father had gifted her his Gibson J45(1940 something). The J45 dwarfer her. The OMJM worked out beautifully, it fits her extremely well, and it sounds wonderful. that was almost 7 years ago. but, there was a lot of luck there with all that.

i don't think anyone could buy me an instrument, i'm so uptight about a couple things, and especially a mandolin, but...........

based on the description of a couple things you've mentioned, i know the shop and shop owner extremely well. in years past i've purschased and traded probably a dozen acoustic guitars with Jim. very stand up person, excellent shop.

that MF looks extremely nice in the pictures, i've looked at it many a time. be aware it is listed as having the "wider" nut width at 1 3/16" vs the "standard" of 1 1/8". its not much, but in mandolins it can be a lot.

i would most definitely look at these mandos that are there also:

1) Capek F
    2) Northfield F5s
    3) Phoenix custom

all three above are under cost of the MF, all 4 mandos will feel and sound very different. i've owned a Northfield F5S, currently own a MF(have owned 2 Collings MT and MT2v, and a couple webers). I love my Collings MF in every way-not everybody will though.

i might think of doing this.

set up a date with her on a nonrushed day. lunch, followed by a mando tasting with all 4 mandos laid out-in a quiet/private part of the shop. pre arrange with the shop owner-and tell Jim i said "hi". let her pick. yep, thats what i'd do. any of the 4 will more than likely be excellent, but one will very much appeal to her.

good luck, and keep us posted
    d

**be sure to check out the "banjobabes" calendar Jim received as a Christmas gift

Quote Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
    **be sure to check out the "banjobabes" calendar Jim received as a Christmas gift
    Wait! Cognitive dissonance: Banjo Babe? ( Only joking. I'm fond of both )

My birthday was yesterday and I would appreciate the Collings !!

My wife has bought me several instruments but she is usually with me when I see something I like, then my next birthday or Christmas or anniversary there it is. Y'all can all envy me with my great wife.

A Collings as a gift? Um...heck yes!

Thank you to everyone for the overwhelmingly good natured and thoughtful advice.

I'm a romantic and love big gestures, so Outsidenote's comment hit the nail on the head with where I was coming from. That said, I suppose I should temper my heart long enough to make sure she finds something that sounds and feels right to her. As pointed out, I don't even know her A vs. F style preferences.

A lunch date with a silly jam session first, makes a lot of sense. Oh, and Darlycrisp, I'll be sure to tell Jim you said "hi" :-)

And, sir, you are a thoughtful and generous person. When my wife presented me in 1994 with a combined-Christmas-and-25th-anniversary gift of a Taylor XX-MC "20th Anniversary" guitar -- the first of their now-popular "Grand Auditorium" models -- I was floored. The Taylor was my steady gigging guitar for over a decade, 'til I got my Martin 00-42 "conversion" that I mostly play now.

What you're suggesting, is the kind of gift a musician never forgets. Whenever she picks up the Collings -- or whatever instrument you end up selecting -- she'll remember your generosity.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post: