Thread: FW74 Strings

Default FW74 Strings

Why are they 11/36. Where the Phospher bronze 74 strings are 11/40
    Last edited by JEStanek; Jan-24-2016 at 4:12pm. Reason: fix title

Default Re: WF74 Strings

I'm sure you mean FW-74. They are flatwound strings and the flat winding makes a more narrow diameter. I'm not sure how much different the core is from the bronze wound equivelant but the flat winding is thinner than round winding.

Default Re: WF74 Strings

Thank you.. I see my reversal ..oops

Which set would carry more bass on the d & g .. I had flats on a guitar and they seemed to be deeper, which I call bass for lack of knowledge.

Blog Entries

Default Re: FW74 Strings

I fixed the title.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

5. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JackHorner View Post
    Thank you.. I see my reversal ..oops

Which set would carry more bass on the d & g .. I had flats on a guitar and they seemed to be deeper, which I call bass for lack of knowledge.
    A lot depends on the mandolin. Flatwounds sound fantastic on my mandolin but I have heard other mandolins that didn't sound so good using them. In general though, you will most likely get more power and low end response from a bronze wound set. The flatwound set will be warmer in tone and a tad bit quieter.

7. The following members say thank you to mandobassman for this post:

I put them on my Eastman 305. I wanted something less bright than the EJ74s. I am playing mostly old time fiddle tunes and classical (Bach cello suite I prelude). I am happy with the sound. If I was playing bluegrass I'd probably have stayed with ej74s but hey if I was playing bluegrass I'd probably have a different mando.

9. The following members say thank you to Kevin Stueve for this post:

Thank you

I play blues/country...I like the sound of the strings more than the thud of the chop. I have a MD615 Eastman

The short answer is different technology, so different gauges are appropriate.

Long answer... what matters for pitch is string tension and mass per unit length, diameter makes a convenient proxy for mass, but is not the same thing. So imagine two strings, one flatwound, one roundwound, same internal wire and same tension. The flatwound one has no gaps between windings, while the roundwound one has noticeable gaps due to the round windings. Or to put it another way the roundwound string has a fair bit of "air" within it's diameter where as the flatwound one has none. So if the two strings were the same diameter the flatwound one would have a noticeably higher density per unit length. Which is a long winded way of saying, that to get the same pitch and tension, a roundwound string will be narrower but still have the same density as the thicker roundwound string.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tavy For This Useful Post:

Registered User Vincent Capostagno's Avatar

I think the G and D have the loveliest tone of any strings I've tried. My only complaint is with the E. It sounds different from the rest. Call it loud or brilliant or piercing or tinny; it shares this characteristic with all the other .011 steel strings out there and I have yet to find a more balanced alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Capostagno View Post
    I think the G and D have the loveliest tone of any strings I've tried. My only complaint is with the E. It sounds different from the rest. Call it loud or brilliant or piercing or tinny; it shares this characteristic with all the other .011 steel strings out there and I have yet to find a more balanced alternative.
    Thank you

I like that piercing sound as long as it needs an attack before it over rides. That penetration is what made a mandolin attractive to me and now that I have one I am discovering the playability to be equally attractive. I think I'm reliving a bout of puppy love and enjoying the ride.

The FT are round wound bronze, ground flat , FW are steel, ribbon wound. (as said above)

Why? Id ask the Manufacturer to really get the answer.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    The FT are round wound bronze, ground flat , FW are steel, ribbon wound. (as said above)

Why? Id ask the Manufacturer to really get the answer.
    The FT strings have nothing to do with this thread. Why confuse things?

17. The following members say thank you to mandobassman for this post:

I have the FW74 on both of my Eastman mandolins and they sound great! The G & D have a much richer sound than the EJ74 or EXP74. Not as loud, but much more complex and interesting. May as well try them out. Only costs you $15 and 30 minutes to hear for yourself. Additional bonus to the FW is that the wound strings last much longer than even the EXP. I buy singles of the E & A strings so I can replace them when they wear out. I keep the flat wound strings about 3-4 times longer than round wound.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    I have the FW74 on both of my Eastman mandolins and they sound great! The G & D have a much richer sound than the EJ74 or EXP74. Not as loud, but much more complex and interesting. May as well try them out. Only costs you $15 and 30 minutes to hear for yourself. Additional bonus to the FW is that the wound strings last much longer than even the EXP. I buy singles of the E & A strings so I can replace them when they wear out. I keep the flat wound strings about 3-4 times longer than round wound.
    The music store didn't have any so I went with Elixer...I will order a set of flat wounds for my next set. I am new to mandolin but the E74 and the Gibson/Monroes Lasted about 4 weeks or less. I beat them about 3 or more hours a day.