Thread: Music Software

Default Music Software

Hello,

Is there software that can take notation and transpose it to tab?

Default Re: Music Software

Tabledit can, you can either enter the notation or it can import some file formats of notation (like midi), in which you could also get tab output. Www.tabledit.com for the full story.

I just downloaded a new scoring program to try out called Forte. I haven't used it yet but it looked impressive
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

5. The following members say thank you to Barry Wilson for this post:

I'll put in a plug for Presonus Notion. I find it easier to use than a lot of music software, you can get it for both desktop and iPad, and you can set the string pitches so that you can create tab for different tunings. For example, to create mandola tab, I change the tuning to C3 G3 D4 A4 and it creates tab for the mandola. (It also allows me to write music using an onscreen keyboard or fretboard and imports midi and xml.)

7. The following members say thank you to demotlj for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Wilson View Post
    I just downloaded a new scoring program to try out called Forte. I haven't used it yet but it looked impressive
    Quote Originally Posted by demotlj View Post
    I'll put in a plug for Presonus Notion.
    I'm checking out both of those now, thanks for the info!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Duigiud View Post
    Hello,

Is there software that can take notation and transpose it to tab?
    I've been using Finale / Make Music notation software for years and it translates staff to TAB as well as changing instruments fairly easily.
    Notion seems to be popular with I Pad users.

TABedit seems to be an inexpensive alternative. Especially if you read more TAB than conventional G cleff staff music.

For me, I'm too used to the methods learned in Finale. Sibelius does things, probably in a more intuitive way BUT... Changing drove me nuts. Same for MuseScore.

Chicago - most lately but - home is in Northern Arkansas.

I've been using TEdit for a lot of years and interestingly, this is one of the things which moved me from being a tab user to really becoming capable of not only really reading music, but becoming capable of applying it directly to the fret board. Most of my music is now played on either mandola or tenor guitar and with Tedit, I can adapt regular notation or various scores almost directly to whatever score I am studying / playing. Ten or so years ago, I explained the moveable alto clef to them and the crew at Table Edit listened to what I wanted and a month later it became a reality for my interests. While it is initially for tab players ... that option of changing clef and tuning is possible ... and very inexpensive.

I've looked at a few other programs and for my interests and background, they may have all the bells and whistles, it seems as if the learning curve is a bit on the steep side.

I have absolutely NFI in Table Edit, just a happy customer - http://www.tabledit.com/ .
    Mandola fever is permanent.

Blog Entries

I've got Sibelius, Tabledit, Finale but have now settled on Notion as my main programme for generating scores and MIDI play along tracks.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

12. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post:

I understand the need for software...I get it. However, what I don't want is to spend what little practice time have be devoted to learning software and not playing my instrument. With that said, what is the best software to use to record without a big learning curve? I'm not a sound engineer I'm a creative musician.
    Amateurs practice until they can play it right.
    Professionals practice until they can't play it wrong.

Collings MTO
    Epiphone Mandobird IV
    Yamaha Piano
    Roland AX-1

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Londy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Londy View Post
    I'm not a sound engineer I'm a creative musician.
    I get it - I'd rather be playing music than learning software.

BUT

I also compose music and having my own studio at home is worth learning to be an engineer.

Blog Entries

. With that said, what is the best software to use to record without a big learning curve? I'm not a sound engineer I'm a creative musician.
    We are talking about software that makes sheet music. A lot of the same software 'reads the notes' and makes sounds. If you want to record your music, get a Zoom recorder. No learning curve there but you do have to be creative.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/H4nSP

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    I get it - I'd rather be playing music than learning software.

BUT

I also compose music and having my own studio at home is worth learning to be an engineer.
    I understand the point and do agree. I have TabEdit and it seems ok for my needs. I have seen other software out there that is just daunting to learn. Years ago i had good luck with Cakewalk not sure if that's around any more. I did use if for my originals seemed to be easy enough to use.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DougC View Post
    We are talking about software that makes sheet music. A lot of the same software 'reads the notes' and makes sounds. If you want to record your music, get a Zoom recorder. No learning curve there but you do have to be creative.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/H4nSP
    Thanks for the link. I have actually been looking at the Zoom H2n. What are your thoughts on that one?
    Here is the link: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/H2N

Collings MTO
    Epiphone Mandobird IV
    Yamaha Piano
    Roland AX-1

18. The following members say thank you to Londy for this post:

Blog Entries

I understand the point and do agree. I have TabEdit and it seems ok for my needs. I have seen other software out there that is just daunting to learn. Years ago i had good luck with Cakewalk not sure if that's around any more. I did use if for my originals seemed to be easy enough to use.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the link. I have actually been looking at the Zoom H2n. What are your thoughts on that one?
    Here is the link: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/H2N

I don't have one...yet. I have a number of 'sound engineer' friends who have the professional model and they love them. This one is for us 'regular' folks, so yes, it is worth every penny.

And if you liked Cakewalk, then Notion is the way to go. http://www.presonus.com/products/Notion-5
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

Quote Originally Posted by DougC View Post
    I don't have one...yet. I have a number of 'sound engineer' friends who have the professional model and they love them. This one is for us 'regular' folks, so yes, it is worth every penny.

And if you liked Cakewalk, then Notion is the way to go. http://www.presonus.com/products/Notion-5
    software looks good. Thanks for sharing this. Do you own the software? If so, are you able to record with an acoustic instrument? I have a great Yamaha digital grand piano so im good there.

Collings MTO
    Epiphone Mandobird IV
    Yamaha Piano
    Roland AX-1

Blog Entries

software looks good. Thanks for sharing this. Do you own the software? If so, are you able to record with an acoustic instrument? I have a great Yamaha digital grand piano so im good there.
    Sorry Londy, I don't have the Notion software. Maybe someone here does. I have a friend who just got it and I can ask about note entry with an instrument.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

I honestly feel the easiest software for recording is mixcraft. I played with a lot and found the learning curve huge, and I have worked with lots of studio hardware. The simplicity of mixcraft was refreshing. That said, I got a zoom r24 as I just like working with a console with mechanical faders and such.
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Wilson View Post
    I just attempted to try Forte 7 Premium (trial version). First, the installer wanted to install Java (bad idea), but it had the option to skip the Java install... ok, Java skipped... NEXT it wanted to restart the computer... hmmm... I manually restarted the computer, tried to open the Forte app, it requested ADMIN RIGHTS... no thanks, altogether too fishy. Why would a music-scoring app need Administrator privileges to simply use the app? Never have this with other software on the same PC. Google search not being helpful right now, and nothing on the official FAQ page either. UNINSTALLED.

24. The following members say thank you to Jess L. for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JL277z View Post
    I just attempted to try Forte 7 Premium (trial version). .
    No Mac version so I have not tried it yet.

Blog Entries

I'm a big fan of the Zoom kit. My H4n has been so solid, high quality and simple it's got me recording all over the place.
    I'm not sure what systems you use, but if you're on an iPad, iPhone, or iPod these iQ7 units look like a good option, as the Zoom HandyRec software is about as simple as you could design.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	143223
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by demotlj View Post
    ... Presonus Notion. ...
    Something to be aware of if playback pitch is important: In the PC version of Notion 5 that I tested, the default pitch is A442 instead of standard A440 concert pitch. There's a slider in the prefs to change it from 442 to other numbers, but despite having a steady hand and accurate mouse, I was unable to make the slider stop at exactly 440, it kept skipping from 337.5 to 440.5 or point something, couldn't get it to an even 440. I tried clicking the number itself, even tried right-clicking the number but didn't see any way to type in an exact number, so it was back to the slider. Never did get it to stop exactly at 440. Nothing wrong with my mouse either, it has fairly precise tracking/control (that mouse is adequate for use in things like Adobe Photoshop, if that's any indication). Maybe it's an issue with or limitation of the trial version? Dunno, but I would have to find out for sure, prior to actual purchase.

As to the sounds themselves, I like them, I installed the included several-gigabyte sound files (no problems downloading them, that went smoothly), and the sounds seem about 15 million times nicer than the few other (low-cost) apps I've tried.

This *next* observation might just be my own ignorance but I couldn't figure out if the Swing option (playback kinda like dotted notes) has any adjustments other than cycling through Shift-G or whatever it was (I'm not at the PC right now), was hoping to see a percentage adjustment or something, maybe it's there & I just missed it...

I've been using Musescore & TablEdit. They're both good at different things. Was hoping to someday find an app that combined the best of both of those.