Thread: Drum Machine

Default Drum Machine

I have used a metronome off and on, but find it pretty annoying. Played with a buddy yesterday afternoon using his high end programmable drum machine. That changes everything. I have looked at some to purchase but would like any recommendations from the Café before I buy (what to buy or stay away from). I am looking for an inexpensive "stand alone" that I can plug directly into a small practice amp (no computer or iphone).

Thanks
    Tony

Default Re: Drum Machine

I bought the alesis SR18 as it also has bass lines and percussion channels. you can record, play, mute any of the channels. Each program has an A and B variation with a fill for each. you can control with a foot pedal... tap the fill button when in A pattern and end of fill goes to B, Hold the fill button while in A pattern and it returns to A... gives you verse and chorus
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

I've had an Alesis SR16 for decades and it's great but doesn't have a 3/4 or a 5/8. Nice for foot controlled fills and start stop. I have a Zoom G1on that has a drum machine that will sync to a looper , It is a great practice tool that has a large number of programmable effects. Finally most electronic keyboards have drum machines with a huge number of patterns and their own speakers that allows you to play along at acoustic volume.
    Jim Richmond

What DAW do you use? There's likely something there that might meed your needs, e.g. garage band: http://thegaragebandguide.com/garage...to-use-drummer

There's also a good article in the current "Recording" magazine (January issue) about using plugins like Slate, EZ drummer or Superior to get realistic tracks
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

Quote Originally Posted by gtani7 View Post
    What DAW do you use? There's likely something there that might meed your needs, e.g. garage band: http://thegaragebandguide.com/garage...to-use-drummer
    see above

I am looking for an inexpensive "stand alone" that I can plug directly into a small practice amp (no computer or iphone).
    Jim Richmond

woops, nevermind. I was playing with one of those Alesis's in a pawnshop a few weeks ago, they sound pretty good.

other suggests here (Korg ER1, yamaha etc) https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizer...ine_under_250/

The Volca beats is fun to play with, and widely available used for $100. Surprisingly complex for a little box
    Last edited by gtani7; Jan-23-2016 at 4:11pm.
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

The Alesis SR16 and the Korg Volca were the two base machines I was narrowing down to but wanted some input for anything I may have missed. Not being able to get waltz time in the Alesis was a deal killer so I looked into that a bit. Seems there is a download available from Alesis and failing that there is a method for programming your own into it. Will likely try to find either one used on CL. The Alesis SR18 was even more appealing, but the price range jumps accordingly.

Thanks for the input, it is appreciated.
    Tony

I do a lot of 3/4 with the sr18. I don't know the sr16 but you can program any time signature.

The basses available range from stand up, electric to synth

fruity loops (maker of cakewalk) is also fun. and my fav DAW mixcraft is the easiest to use of all I tried http://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/be...g-software.php
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

I have owned an Alesis SR-16 and SR-18. As others have stated, the SR-16 has no 3/4 time patterns. The SR-18 has 3/4, 6/8 and a few others, and about twice the number of patterns. I never program the SR-18 because I find enough variety in the A and B patterns and the fill function. Buy a foot switch - a Boss FS-6 is like two switches in one box - use one for start stop and the other to switch between patterns and trigger fills. On the negative side I don't like the SR-18 bass tracks, but that can be turned off. Another negative is the tempo setting that is preset for each pattern - if you switch to a different pattern you have to reset the tempo. If you are ok with staying in 4/4 all the time then buy an SR-16, if not buy an SR-18.
    Johneeaaddgg

Wound up getting the SR-16. A bit of a learning curve as far as programming it if you don't use the presets. It does not come with a 3/4 time preset, but you can make your own by going into the record/compose function and set the beat length duration to 003, then hit play to enter it. Then set your click track to quarter notes. What a slick little tool...you can easily revise any user defined patterns on the fly. Beats the dickens out of a metronome.

Thanks for the input
    Tony

11. The following members say thank you to ajh for this post:

Jim