Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Northfield Mandolins "Deluxe Airloom" fiberglass Cases

Default Re: Northfield Mandolins "Deluxe Airloom" fiberglass Cases

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Clark View Post
    True, but I still can't wait to see that new Collings case in person. It may not have much storage (maybe not even enough room for a piece of Bazooka Joe), but I really like small cases. Usually, I have some other bag to carry associated stuff in and I usually don't carry much anyway (I travel very light). My Hiscox is a great case with lots of storage space, but it has never left the house. For me, it's just too big. I just might spring for one of those new Collings cases though.
    I too like small cases . I was lucky enough to get one of these (I bought the prototype from Elderly). Fits my mandolin like a glove, it weighs less with the mandolin in it than my Pegasus did empty, and is about 2/3 the size. I sold the Pegasus case when I got the Collings case. I love it.

2. The following members say thank you to Tom Sanderson for this post:

Glad you like your new case. Maybe you should start a thread about it.

Adrian demoed the Airloom case for me at Swannanoa last week. The aesthetic is "modern luggage" in a slim, insulated package with lots of storage. The dimensions are deliberately specified, especially in thinness, to fit in any airplane's overhead luggage bin. I thought the design, materials and construction were exquisite. A few highlights... The outer surface looks like black leather in dim room light--it has that deep matt reflectance. It isn't, of course, it is a somewhat compliant smooth finish over fiberglass. Adrian said it could scuff but would remain black in color and could be buffed out although that would make it glossy. It is also vulnerable to color transfer if it is bumped up against something like a white wall, but that can be removed with solvent (such as lighter fluid). The hardware is what you might find on a fine attache case or piece of luggage. The latches are nickel brushed satin and flip out with a spring when opened--they don't have a bail that can catch on the mating piece even if the latch has been opened (arghhh). The handle is ergonomic soft plastic material and can be folded flat against the case side and will lock there without flopping around. The lining is varnish-safe high quality velvety stuff over insulation and there is a huge amount of storage in compartments and around the headstock and in a slot next to the endpin. The neck is fully supported by a full-length cradle, and the headstock is supported from both sides by ramps (like Hoffee guitar cases). The rubber feet on several surfaces support the closed or open case with stability. The top-bottom grooved gasket seems airtight--certainly splash-tight for a dash through the rain; to break the air seal and open the case easily there is an extra foot as a handle in the front of the case top. I was hugely impressed. I have seen all cases by Hoffee, Calton, Ameritage, TKL, Hiscox and more, and for my purposes the Airloom is the best value with all the features I would design into a case. Look forward to mine arriving.

Just giving this thread a bump to ask two questions:

1) Has anyone fit an A style mandolin in one of these cases? I have a Collings MT-O and am interested in this case for travel if an A will fit ok in it.

2) Has anyone flown with it yet? Did it fit easily in the overhead luggage area?
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

I got one about a month ago, and I have my Collings MT2 in there - fits perfectly. I'm very happy with the case.

Haven't flown...

7. The following members say thank you to LBob for this post:

Great to hear! Thanks for the reply!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

So I just had my Northfield F5S delivered with an Airloom case, it is very plush on the inside and has a lot of room for the size of case......I will take measurements and wt. The Mandolin fits like a glove and barely moves in their,,,if anyone has any questions let me know and I can answer the best I can...Like I say mine just come in today.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2730.JPG 
Views:	294 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	150004

10. The following members say thank you to raycan2 for this post:

I caught a glimpse of the case cover for the Airloom case at the NF booth @ IBMA, where a prototype cover or 2 was there. Looks like it will be a quality piece, with reinforced high-traffic areas and a large zippered pocket. No flap between/under the handle, a good thing. Should be available sometime in October.

12. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

Done got my case cover. A dandy. Terrific fit, well-appointed, easy to manage. The zipper travels under the plane of the latches, brilliant.

The pull handles are my addition.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Airloom in cover1.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	330.8 KB 
ID:	152732   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Airloom in cover2.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	293.4 KB 
ID:	152733  

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    Done got my case cover. A dandy. Terrific fit, well-appointed, easy to manage. The zipper travels under the plane of the latches, brilliant.

The pull handles are my addition.
    Forgot to make mention of it via email, so here's my public response: NICE!

My NF didn't come with an Airloom (just a shaped TKL Prestige which I'm replacing with my existing TKL Pro), so you had better keep an eye on yours.

C.
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

I'm currently case shopping and was wondering if any of you Airloom owners who have had the case for a year or so now could comment on how well they have held up for you?

Thanks,

1924 Gibson A Jr. Snakehead
    2004 Elkhorn A-5, #3
    2016 White F-5, #6

Registered User Gabriel Wiseman's Avatar

I've had mine for probably close to a year and have taken it everywhere. It's a great case and as mentioned above... the storage is great. I did end up getting a Hoffee for taking to festivals and things simply because I like using the backpack straps when I'm going to be carrying around all day. The Airloom case is definitely one of the best I've every had including calton and hoffee cases... costs a LOT less and is super nice... My shoulder just gives me trouble when I have to carry for long periods so I wanted the Hoffee for backpack strapping..... The Airloom has held up very well though and I think you would be very happy with it. Alan has that cover which I have seen in person and man, that thing is nice! You could get an Airloom and cover for less than a Hoffee or Calton and be set. I may end up getting a cover for my ariloom and just sewing on my own backpack straps.
    Gabriel Wiseman
    https://poplme.co/pmywrpAD
    www.jtrband.com
    Curt Mangan Strings

2021 Duff 2 Point, 1947 Gibson J-50

17. The following members say thank you to Gabriel Wiseman for this post:

What Gabe said. The case/cover thing is great and had held up very well. Sleek, lightweight, well-appointed - the whole enchilada.

Thanks for your response Gabriel! I'm thinking it's the way I'll go. I can count on one hand the amount of times I've flown with an instrument and it was never for a gig. So I basically need something that is of good quality and can be put in the back of the van or at worst a trailer. I have a nice Access 3 gig bag I can bring along for once I show up at a festival if I'm going to be toting it around for long distances.

1924 Gibson A Jr. Snakehead
    2004 Elkhorn A-5, #3
    2016 White F-5, #6

Registered User Gabriel Wiseman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Young View Post
    Thanks for your response Gabriel! I'm thinking it's the way I'll go. I can count on one hand the amount of times I've flown with an instrument and it was never for a gig. So I basically need something that is of good quality and can be put in the back of the van or at worst a trailer. I have a nice Access 3 gig bag I can bring along for once I show up at a festival if I'm going to be toting it around for long distances.
    That should have you very well covered then. BTW.. I looked and I've had my case since around April or May 2016 so it's been well over a year.
    Gabriel Wiseman
    https://poplme.co/pmywrpAD
    www.jtrband.com
    Curt Mangan Strings

2021 Duff 2 Point, 1947 Gibson J-50

21. The following members say thank you to Gabriel Wiseman for this post:

Blog Entries

JUST BOUGHT THE AIRLOOM HERE OFF THE CAFE AND I HONESTLY DON'T THINK I'LL EVER WANT ANOTHER CASE. I SAY THAT NOW BUT IT'S REALLY THAT NICE OF A CASE. THE CASE IS USED BUT IN GREAT CONDITION AND REALLY NICE STORAGE CONSIDERING THE SIZE OF IT. NORTHFIELD HAS DONE A REALLY NICE JOB MAKING A CASE THAT IS CERTAINLY BETTER THAN MOST OF YOUR CASES ON THE MARKET BUT YET LESS COSTLY THAN MOST OF YOUR FIBERGLASS CASES ON THE MARKET. I THINK THEIR WAS A LOT OF THOUGHT THAT WENT IN TO THIS CASE. YOU ALMOST HAVE TO HAVE ONE IN YOUR POSSESSION TO UNDERSTAND WHAT I'M SAYING. MOST FOLKS WANT A CASE THAT IS NOT BULKY AND NOT A LARGE CASE HOWEVER HAVE THE NICE OBLONG LOOK WITH TONS OF STORAGE. THEN MAKING IT A REALLY DURABLE FIBERGLASS CASE IS JUST A WIN, WIN FOR EVERYONE. IT DOES APPEAR TO ME TO BE THE PERFECT CASE. WELL PERFECT FOR ME ANYWAY. I JUST THINK NORTHFIELD REALLY HIT IT OUTTA THE BALL PARK ON THIS. I'LL SEE IF I CANT POST SOME PIC'S TONIGHT WITH MY MANDOLIN IN IT'S NEW HOME.

WONDERFUL CASE GUYS!! ALSO THANKS AGAIN ZACH.

I received an airloom case with the purchase of a new F5S from Elderly which was a pleasant surprise. The website photos showed a standard F5 case.

It is a fantastic case and my only complaint is how easy the black finish comes off. Accidentally bumped the case on some plastic molding in my vehicle and it left a white spot on the case.

Best protection/storage I have ever seen in a hard case.

I've had my Airloom case for six months now, and I too like it. It is not a burly travel case. I fear a compression on the top would easily transfer to the mando inside. I do have a Price case, which could be used as a jack stand to change a car tire. I hope future NF cases will be a bit stiffer, may a stylish rib to prevent flex of the lid.
    I travel with my band, and gear sometimes shifts around on the road...I don't worry about the Price case, but I do fret about the Airloom...some pun intended.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com