Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Northfield Mandolins "Deluxe Airloom" fiberglass Cases

Default Re: Northfield Mandolins "Deluxe Airloom" fiberglass Cases

Received a note from NF re: cover availability. Will be a bit longer yet, as they're managing increased demand for their instrument line. A good place to be for them.

2. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

Registered User Gabriel Wiseman's Avatar

The end pin should just be pressure fit inside the mandolin and is not part of the tailpeice. Just be careful if your going to try to remove it. You will need a tool to grab it with and should be able to twist it a little to break it free the. Begin to carefully pull it out. Don't squeeze it to hard if you using pliers. You don't want to accidentally crack the end pin itself.

One of the most important features I'm finding out is the fit of the lid and how it closes, it is airtight and waterproof. Like a sealed coffin,,it holds the humidity stable ! I have a hygrometer in the case but no humidifier. The reading has stayed amazingly stable. In the late winter over here, my house went down to 19% at one point but inside my case it stayed at 41%, which is acceptable to me in the winter. I never leave the case open, playing or otherwise....can't wait to get a cover...

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Wiseman View Post
    The end pin should just be pressure fit inside the mandolin and is not part of the tailpeice. Just be careful if your going to try to remove it. You will need a tool to grab it with and should be able to twist it a little to break it free the. Begin to carefully pull it out. Don't squeeze it to hard if you using pliers. You don't want to accidentally crack the end pin itself.
    Thank you for the info (on both counts) it's appreciated
    Keith

Received the airloom case today. Arrived very nicely packaged. Great case!! Mandolin fits well, lots of padding. The interior is a lot like a Calton just a lot more storage. The build quality is top notch on this one. Well worth the $. Maybe latter I will get some pics up.
    Gabriel Wiseman
    https://poplme.co/pmywrpAD
    www.jtrband.com
    Curt Mangan Strings

2021 Duff 2 Point, 1947 Gibson J-50

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	264.5 KB 
ID:	146103
    Shoulder strap latch

The last pic is th headstock clearance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	308 
Size:	652.7 KB 
ID:	146106   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	311 
Size:	546.3 KB 
ID:	146107   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	342 
Size:	675.6 KB 
ID:	146108  

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	314 
Size:	635.5 KB 
ID:	146109   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	321 
Size:	359.4 KB 
ID:	146110  
    Gabriel Wiseman
    www.jtrband.com
    Curt Mangan Strings

The lower left photo highlights a nice feature - you can prop the mandolin up on an open leaf (either one) to free up your hands to get at stuff.

Hey all,

I have a call in to Peter, but I may get a quick answer here. I just received my Airloom case and I can't find any keys for the latches. Did your cases come with keys?

Thanks,

Tal
    Tal Hardman

Krishot A5 #341

Quote Originally Posted by Talbot Dale View Post
    Hey all,

I have a call in to Peter, but I may get a quick answer here. I just received my Airloom case and I can't find any keys for the latches. Did your cases come with keys?

Thanks,

Tal
    Tal, I haven't gotten any either and mine is from a very early batch. Northfield is starting to be overwhelmed with requests for new mando's, and so the guys are trying to manage multiple threads concurrently, including an expanded instrument line. Growing pains.

The locks themselves won't matter much, and you can't lock it during air travel anyway as the TSA needs to be able to open it during screening.

D

Actually, I didn't get keys either. Didn't even notice myself. Lol no never lock my cases anyway

Ok, thanks for the information. I rarely lock my case, but there have been times, like leaving my instrument unattended after a gig, where it would be nice to have keys.
    Tal Hardman

Krishot A5 #341

Quote Originally Posted by Talbot Dale View Post
    Ok, thanks for the information. I rarely lock my case, but there have been times, like leaving my instrument unattended after a gig, where it would be nice to have keys.
    I never leave my instrument unattended, even locked or unlocked it's too easy to pick up and walk away with. I have known too many musicians who have lost instruments leaving them for just a moment while they went in to grab more gear.
    Last edited by pops1; May-14-2016 at 3:02pm.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I was wondering about that myself,,I wasn't sure the case even took a key...but I didn't get one....

I noticed that these have been out of stock for a little while now. Does anyone know anything about when the cover may be available?
    Gabriel Wiseman
    www.jtrband.com
    Curt Mangan Strings

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Wiseman View Post
    I noticed that these have been out of stock for a little while now. Does anyone know anything about when the cover may be available?
    Hi everyone. Hope it's as nice in your neck of the woods as it is right here in Michigan! Wow.. hard to work. As always, we appreciate the great feedback we're getting from all those case owners out there. This project took us a LONG time and as you can see it's been a little hard for us to keep up and complete what we had in mind.

Stock: As of yesterday morning when Field Notes (our new online resource) went out we completely sold out of everything save for a couple cases with minor scratches. Honestly, sometimes we have them and haven't had a second to update our site. Apologize for that - please call us anytime you're looking for a definitive answer on availability. We are planning to have more cases available in June. Right now we're working on the accessory items and the companion case for our new Octaves.

Case Cover: We're on our 3 round of sampling and prototyping. My plan is to have something that works well enough to bring down to Nashville to get some opinions at the NAMM show. That's the end of this month - if all goes well we should be making dozens of them fairly quickly. The first cover will be a nylon bag, fairly simple. Will also make a more thermal protective cover… and we're even working on a couple other styles. More details soon.

Shoulder Strap: There are so many great luggage straps that we decided not to make one. Hopefully everyone is finding a nice one to use. We'll likely have something to offer when the covers are ready.

Locks: This turned into more of an ordeal than we planned. It takes working with about 7 different workshops and vendors for us to make this case. Lining from Europe, latches from someone, handle from another, rivets.. on and on. The latches were a custom tooling we made. The lock mechanism in the latch ended up being a problem so we decide not to include a key for fear that someone might actually lock their instrument in the case and have the key go bad. We have removed the lock mech and have remade the tooling. We have ideas about how to lock the case using the zippers on the case cover if need be. Thanks for all the patience on this and sorry about the locks/keys… we should probably make mandolins, but cases have been such a long term target. We're glad that people are really liking and using the cases.

All the best,

adrian

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Northfield mando For This Useful Post:

Adrian,,thank you for the information and update. I also like the rubber feet, when they touch the floor, it is solid contact, no rocking or anything, very stable. But can I ask you, for the life of me, I can't figure out what the single rubber foot at the top of the case is for? The one between the handle and the latch? What is that used for? Thanks Ted

Quote Originally Posted by T.D.Nydn View Post
    Adrian,,thank you for the information and update. I also like the rubber feet, when they touch the floor, it is solid contact, no rocking or anything, very stable. But can I ask you, for the life of me, I can't figure out what the single rubber foot at the top of the case is for? The one between the handle and the latch? What is that used for? Thanks Ted
    It looks to me to be a little knob or grip to grab for raising the lid. Unlatch the case, and open it by hooking that "foot" with your finger.

20. The following members say thank you to jljohn for this post:

Case Cover: We're on our 3 round of sampling and prototyping. My plan is to have something that works well enough to bring down to Nashville to get some opinions at the NAMM show. That's the end of this month - if all goes well we should be making dozens of them fairly quickly. The first cover will be a nylon bag, fairly simple. Will also make a more thermal protective cover… and we're even working on a couple other styles. More details soon.

This looks promising, with diff. versions planned. Should be worth the wait.

And yes, the front knob is a lid lifter. Wish the Hoffee had one.

That is pretty cool, I wonder how long it would have taken me to figure that out? I've never had a case with a finger picker upper on the lid. Has anyone come up with a good matching carrying strap? Not sure if their making one or not according to the latest news above...

Any update??

Quote Originally Posted by T.D.Nydn View Post
    As another poster mentioned, It provides something to grasp when opening the top of the case.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post

Any update??
    I was out with Adrian a few weeks ago. Progress being made, interested to see the final products.

As an aside, the Small Dog oblong case for TKL (TM2) works fine as a cover for the Airloom case and comes with a nice strap. It has thermal protection and can be found online for $125.

Best,
    David

Curious if anyone has put an A style in this case, and how that works... specifically, I'm curious about how it would fit my Collings MT2. Stock Collings case has about enough storage for a single piece of bazooka joe...

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by LBob View Post
    Stock Collings case has about enough storage for a single piece of bazooka joe...
    True, but I still can't wait to see that new Collings case in person. It may not have much storage (maybe not even enough room for a piece of Bazooka Joe), but I really like small cases. Usually, I have some other bag to carry associated stuff in and I usually don't carry much anyway (I travel very light). My Hiscox is a great case with lots of storage space, but it has never left the house. For me, it's just too big. I just might spring for one of those new Collings cases though.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Yeah, I do like that the Collings case is small and light, but... I want to be able to have my mic and tuner in there, etc. I can't actually close the little storage door all the way with a Snark and a tiny pick case in there!