Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strings for Short-Scale Octave (20")

Lost my boots in transit terzinator's Avatar

Default Strings for Short-Scale Octave (20")

Getting a Weber 20" Octave next week, and I figure I'd bide my time waiting for it to ship by wringing my hands over string gauges on an instrument I've never played.

(I mean, it's winter in Minnesota. What else am I going to do? Can't just hide in the bathtub drinking whiskey until the snow melts, am I right?)

There have been more than a few threads on string gauge, no doubt, but I'd like to concentrate on the choices people have made on SHORT-SCALE (20") Octaves.

The Weber comes with D'Addario EJ80's, which are:
    12, 22, 32, 46.

Sometimes lighter gauges can be too floppy and tubby and wimpy, especially on shorter-scale instruments. I have a short-scale Martin 000-18GE, and though it came with lights, I much prefer mediums on that one. I also like EJ75's on my Collings MT. So, I wouldn't be surprised if I jumped right up to a heavier string for the Octave.

I've heard some have used the EJ72 Mandola strings with some success:
    14, 23, 34, 49

Another thread talked about using the even heavier EJ76's on OM's:
    15, 25, 35, 52

Anyway, what say you short-scale OM'ers? Share your string-gauge experiments here.

Be honest and open.

No one will judge.

2. The following members say thank you to terzinator for this post:

Default Re: Strings for Short-Scale Octave (20")

Chris,
    Wait until you get it and see if you like the sound of what's on it. Don't be afraid to experiment with other gauges/string-types. No-one will judge.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sheehy View Post
    Chris,
    Wait until you get it and see if you like the sound of what's on it. Don't be afraid to experiment with other gauges/string-types. No-one will judge.
    I am interested in hearing what you might suggest Mr. Sheehy. Not trying to hijack, just interested in the same subject.
    Thanks

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

I have a 20" scale tenor guitar & that works well with 13 22 34 50, it took me at least a year of experimenting to get the sound and feel I like.
    Although the .050 G is a compromise as it sounds right but, is pretty resistant to bend.

Quote Originally Posted by tkdboyd View Post
    I am interested in hearing what you might suggest Mr. Sheehy. Not trying to hijack, just interested in the same subject.
    Thanks
    Yah, bezactly. I figure the research will apply to more than just me!

I have a 20" scale instrument and I have had great success with the J72 light mandola set, and have said so on a couple of threads. But I did have to get the nut and bridge slots adjusted. It made all the difference in tone and playability.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

I use the EJ-76 on my 20" octaves

The recommended gauges for my 20" Buchanan are .016, .024, .036, .054

Well my 22" Yellowstone Octave came with a 13.5 on the top and a 48 on the bottom, as measured by a micrometer. I've gone for custom guage strings with a 14 and a 50. I think I reduced the inner two strings a little to create a better balance. I'm surprised the 20" Weber comes with such light strings.

I haven't been playing lately.....but I put on Thomastik mandola 174 mediums. A lot less finger noise....but not as rich/ringing tone. Strings last a long time. This just fit the 20" Weber.....although I had to cut off a little bit of the winding.

"Thomastik mandola 174 mediums"
    Those worked on your 20" octave? I have been trying to decipher all the previous posts and haven't gotten any where figuring out what to use on my Trinity College 20" octave. If anyone else can confirm that the 174 mediums work on TCM-325 it would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks again to the OP for bringing this question up!

Quote Originally Posted by ukrobbiej View Post
    I'm surprised the 20" Weber comes with such light strings.
    Surprised, too.

I shot Weber an email, because curious.

They had a PDF they sent me about the string gauges they use on all their instruments. Unfortunately, only the 22" octave was mentioned, not the 20".

Carved Top
    Octave
    22"
    E A D G
    12 22 32 44

They even use very light strings on the mandola:

Carved Top
    Mandola
    17"
    A D G C
    12 24 34 48

I guess I lean on the lighter side, I have used the D'Addario J80 Octave set 012 022 032 046 and they are good general purpose octave strings, I use them on my Celtic star mandola and I prefer that to mandola strings on that thing, and I have them on my Freshwater octave.
    but lately I have been using the John Pearse set 012 021 032 045 on the weber,
    even though slightly lighter they actually have a deeper darker sound on the oval hole
    I do set the bridge high on the Weber octave.

I put these (Thomastik 174) on my 20" Weber Gallatin oval hole. An old post somewhere had said they would work so I tried them......and then bought 2 extra sets when they did. It's been quite a while since I put them on.....if I remember correctly I cut off a little bit up to about 3/4" of the thread on the G+D strings.

Quote Originally Posted by terzinator View Post
    Surprised, too.

I shot Weber an email, because curious.

They had a PDF they sent me about the string gauges they use on all their instruments. Unfortunately, only the 22" octave was mentioned, not the 20".

Carved Top
    Octave
    22"
    E A D G
    12 22 32 44

They even use very light strings on the mandola:

Carved Top
    Mandola
    17"
    A D G C
    12 24 34 48
    Interesting. I emailed Bruce at the time I bought mine and he confirmed that mine had been fitted with a heavy set of John Pearce.

My email from Weber also said they're fitted with Pearse strings, too.

But the Pearse Octave strings I found were 12 - 21 - 32 - 45, which don't jibe with the gauges from the email.

http://www.juststrings.com/jps-2280....ia&kw=jps-2280

Quote Originally Posted by terzinator View Post
    My email from Weber also said they're fitted with Pearse strings, too.

But the Pearse Octave strings I found were 12 - 21 - 32 - 45

http://www.juststrings.com/jps-2280....ia&kw=jps-2280
    Interesting- maybe the 20” scale length instruments are braced lighter. Might F holes be braced lighter than Oval holes?

The exact set that Bruce recommended was the 2265M octave mandola set, which is 14, 22, 36, 48.

The ones I had custom made for me are, 14, 20, 34, and 50. Seems to give a good balance to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ukrobbiej View Post
    Interesting- maybe the 20” scale length instruments are braced lighter. Might F holes be braced lighter than Oval holes?
    Good question, but not sure if hole-type affects string choice.

I know the ovals are X-braced (at least I remember seeing a picture once). Are the F-hole OMs X- or tonebar-braced?

EDIT: nevermind: found the bracing info on the Mandolin Store site:

Bracing: Hand Scalloped Spruce X Brace

(both oval and F-hole)

Blog Entries

I'd really like to hear from Dave Cohen on these issues. Not just bracing on larger instruments but how and why light gauge strings seem to work better on mandolas and octave mandolins. If indeed it is the case.

Personally I think there is a 'sweet spot' or happy medium that makes the instrument perform the best. Forcing it to vibrate with strong strings does not make sense to me. I think you move more wood with less energy on a bigger instrument, kind of like talking in a normal voice in a megaphone. (Anyway enough from me, let's get someone who knows what he's talking about).

I emailed Bruce Weber and this is his response to me on the strings for a 20" scale octave.

john Pearse #2265 for 20" scale octave mandolin. 14-22-36-48
    Thanks for playing a Weber!
    Bruce
    Bruce D. Weber

Not that terribly far off from the J72 set that I use and recommend. I am not familiar with that particular set but I think it is great that somebody is finally making a set that can realistically work on a short scale instrument, give the popularity of the 20 inch scale these days. I say it's about time! I note that the package designates these as a custom gauge set. Created specifically to Weber specs perhaps?

I was aware of the fact that they have started stringing their instruments with John Pearse as standard equipment a few years ago. I don't know why they made the switch. That seems to be consistent throughout the line.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    I emailed Bruce Weber and this is his response to me on the strings for a 20" scale octave.

john Pearse #2265 for 20" scale octave mandolin. 14-22-36-48
    Thanks for playing a Weber!
    Bruce
    Bruce D. Weber
    Thanks for sourcing this!

Interesting that TMS says D'Addario EJ80 and Weber says Pearse 2265. Very mysterious.

My Gallatin OM arrives in two days, so I really hope this gets sorted out quickly.

Just Strings has the 2265 set, fyi. And as Don says, it's a "custom" set.

http://www.juststrings.com/jps-2265m.html

The 2265 John Pearse set is for mandola but Bruce Weber uses them for the 20" octave mandolin. I have tried the J72s and they work as well but I think they feel a little stiffer.

My OM was just delivered! A day early! Waiting for it to acclimate (it's 30 degrees here in MN), but I should be picking by afternoon tea!

Anyway, found this thread on the same topic from a couple of years ago. Similar findings.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...OM-String-Help

Quote Originally Posted by DougC View Post
    I'd really like to hear from Dave Cohen on these issues. Not just bracing on larger instruments but how and why light gauge strings seem to work better on mandolas and octave mandolins. If indeed it is the case.

Personally I think there is a 'sweet spot' or happy medium that makes the instrument perform the best. Forcing it to vibrate with strong strings does not make sense to me. I think you move more wood with less energy on a bigger instrument, kind of like talking in a normal voice in a megaphone. (Anyway enough from me, let's get someone who knows what he's talking about).
    I don't claim to always know what I'm talking about (grin), but I do know that one reason not to go too light in string gauge, is that you can sneak the action down a little lower with medium to heavy gauge strings. That applies to all fretted string instruments, not just OMs.

I agree about the sweet spot for volume and tone, and since OM design is so variable, we all have to find our own string solutions through experiment. But don't forget that function of tension related to what you can achieve for a nice comfortable action height. A heavier gauge may not even feel "heavy" against your fingers when the strings are closer to the frets. And we're not going to do much string bending on these things anyway.