Thread: Eastman 615

Default Eastman 615

I just bought a Eastman 615 and all I have to say is what a great instrument! Man this thing is just awesome. What a pleasure to play. I can't put it down. Looks like my guitars will be getting a bit of down time. I researched mandolins on this site and settled on this one. Great site btw. I never realized how fun this instrument could be. Cheers ☺

Default Re: Eastman 615

Just reminds me of how lucky we are now, that there are well-made new mandolins at affordable prices. When I started out, dodging Allosauruses on the way to the music store, it was ol' Gibsons -- if you could find one -- Harmony Montereys, or whatever aged miscellaneous instrument made it from the attic to the dealer's shelves.

Glad you like your Eastman; they ain't perfect, but they're solid, with lots of hand-work, and will give, as they say, "years of service." And welcome aboard.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I know what you mean, Jamydee. The Eastman 615 was my first real mandolin. Warning: you've started down the slope...
    Steve

"They're approaching. That's very forward of them."

I own a 605, it works well for me too, I was pleased to find it's plugged in sound is quite usable too.

I did the grover tuner upgrade, the higher ratio does help, and am thinking about a Cumberland bridge at my next string change, hoping that will give slightly better intonation due to it's slightly more accurate compensation.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

Quote Originally Posted by kurth83 View Post
    I own a 605, it works well for me too, I was pleased to find it's plugged in sound is quite usable too.

I did the grover tuner upgrade, the higher ratio does help, and am thinking about a Cumberland bridge at my next string change, hoping that will give slightly better intonation due to it's slightly more accurate compensation.
    You can move your bridge for better intonation and you can cut the original if it needs it. All the things you will have to do to the Cumberland you can do to your original. If there is another problem a new bridge won't solve it. May make it sound better tho
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

As a former Eastman owner , I found that a big fat thick pick helped with the bottom end warmth they seem to lack . I still miss the play-ability of that Eastman neck , though . Congrats .