Thread: Wintergrass (Bluegrass Festival) Vendors

Default Wintergrass (Bluegrass Festival) Vendors

Any idea if the vendors offer cost savings at Wintergrass or other festivals where they have a booth?

Looking for a mandolin for a new player and I guess I never paid much attention to the prices compared to retail sales.

Default Re: Wintergrass (Bluegrass Festival) Vendors

Well, can't say for sure but I'd imagine there is some wiggle room. I was there last year and not looking for a guitar or mando but at the end the vendors were interested in selling so if you can hang around towards the end of Sat and see if you can make a deal.

You can talk to the vendors. Depends on who they are and what they're selling. Some of the larger builders of mandolins, however, have policies limiting the amount of discount a dealer can offer on a new instrument.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

There is a local (WA area) Eastman dealer that exhibits each year on the 2nd floor with an impressive selection of guitars and mandolin family items in various price ranges....I believe the regional Eastman representative attends with them. I have certainly seen some mandolins in the bunch suitable for folks new to the instrument. It appears to me that they offer some pretty good "show specials" on the inventory they bring to the event.

You're thinking of Ted Brown Music from Tacoma, methinks.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Don't know about Wintergrass, but at Grey Fox, I got a great deal on my Eastman from the dealer. he was willing to deal at the tent, certainly the last day of the event, and when I tracked down the mandolin afterward where it had been returned to a retail shop, they were willing to -- well, not match the deal, but come pretty close. Don't know about other dealers, though.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305